Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80

    DownTownHost and AWStats

    I have been more than 1 year with DownTownHost, and although overall they are quite OK, yet I need to point out some serious flaws which no one ever mentions. This is just an honest complaint.

    Namely - downtime.

    There is downtime on DownTownHost which in my case lasts a few days each month. I have not been analyzing my stats closely, but when I do, I notice there is a monthly downtime...

    The reason - I don't know.

    The last time, I can see from AW stats that for about 48 hours there was downtime resulting in site became inaccessible, and there were ZERO visitors for 24 hours at least.

    It seems towards the end of the month, there will be downtime...of some kind. Around 27/28/29 of the month. Visitor levels will show a drop for a few days during this period.

    Or if not the end of the month, then in the middle of the month....

    But last month was bad....1 whole day my blog was not available. Zero visitors recorded.

    I just want to know if anyone experienced this also or not.

    My server is server 20.

    DTH is OK in most things....but downtime is something I really don't tolerate....

    Maybe there is an explanation for this, but if these continue, I will look for another host.
    Last edited by TrinityIce; 05-02-2008 at 11:46 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    everyone has some "downtime issues" but monthly ones send me looking in the hosting offers forums.Problem is I have been looking for several months now.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce View Post

    DTH is OK in most things....but downtime is something I really don't tolerate....
    I totally feel yaa there, have booted so many management companies cause i am painfully annoying when i see server down . dunno why i am like that, probably u will understand.

    Anywas @ awstats , its not a tool to actually monitor uptimes, use 3rd party sites like siteuptime.com , hyperspin.com to get a picture of your sites uptime .

    Cause it could simply be awstats bug or it might not work at odd times for no reason.

    Did u submit support ticket with DTH about the issue ?
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80
    I will not post this if I was not concerned....but they seem "regular."

    The rest of the month seems OK, but there will be a few days in each month, like this....which shows a pattern - A few days in a row, which visitor numbers DROP for no reason.

    Last month, a full 24 hours - nil visitors according to Aw stats.

    Maybe Jorge can explain...

    Server 20
    Last edited by TrinityIce; 05-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Going down for update / maintenance reasons, you should be able to look past that and just keep trucking.

    Going down mid-day during mid-month is just bad mojo. I would try to find out what exactly is causing these outages. If its the network, they need to find a new network, if its their server, they need to find out why.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Cause it could simply be awstats bug or it might not work at odd times for no reason.
    Or maybe there were just *no* visitors in that time period?

    Using awstats to record uptime is hardly considered reliable and realistic.
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80
    Or maybe there were just *no* visitors in that time period?

    Using awstats to record uptime is hardly considered reliable and realistic.
    No, there are always visitors, my sites on DTH get many thousands a month. I know this for a fact.

    BUT, this is nothing compared to many other webmasters.

    Maybe they have monthly problems with server 20, I don't know...

    To add: Earlier this year, they really acknowledged having problems with that server after I submitted a few tickets. That time, my sites were really down for a few days. But I thought everything was OK by now.
    Last edited by TrinityIce; 05-02-2008 at 12:05 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce View Post
    No, there are always visitors, my sites on DTH get many thousands a month. I know this for a fact.

    Maybe they have problems with server 20, I don't know...
    Like pointed out by me, use 3rd party sites to monitor uptime, cause no one will listen to someone basing their stuff off awstats alone. I know my awstats was not updating for a day or 2 and if users were gonaa complain that "hey bunny awstats shows 0 hits for bla bla days , i want refund for server was down" would not justify their statement would it now ?

    So, please start monitoring your site externally, and come back a month later to report that "DTH has downtime issues and this time its not based on AWSTATS"

    Cause to be frank if you are using awstats to base your opinions about dth i feel obliged to defend dth (hosts should defend other hosts when possible is what I feel is right, ethically) unless solid proof is provided !!

    PS: by the way a site having visitors always does not mean awstats is working at that moment .

    Cheers
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80
    Like pointed out by me, use 3rd party sites to monitor uptime, cause no one will listen to someone basing their stuff off awstats alone. I know my awstats was not updating for a day or 2 and if users were gonaa complain that "hey bunny awstats shows 0 hits for bla bla days , i want refund for server was down" would not justify their statement would it now ?

    So, please start monitoring your site externally, and come back a month later to report that "DTH has downtime issues and this time its not based on AWSTATS"

    Cause to be frank if you are using awstats to base your opinions about dth i feel obliged to defend dth (hosts should defend other hosts when possible is what I feel is right, ethically) unless solid proof is provided !!

    PS: by the way a site having visitors always does not mean awstats is working at that moment .

    Cheers
    I understand your point. Would Google analytics data suffice?

    I actually do not want to post this at all. Just that it is becoming a "monthly" thing, or seems to be becoming one.
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce View Post
    I understand your point. Would Google analytics data suffice?

    I actually do not want to post this at all. Just that it is becoming a "monthly" thing, or seems to be becoming one.
    Nope stats monitoring does not mean nothing (at least to me), what if firewall on their end blocks them at particular moment of the month?

    Might i ask why not just use external site monitoring ? Get 3 such free services to give u more reliable stats / info.

    Anyways i am done i think with this thread, the ones who should actually be replying (DTH) should take over.

    Cheers
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for your suggestion on the 3rd party monitoring stats.

    I definitely never thought I'd have to use them though. Not for a host like DTH.

    I know there will some downtimes with ALL hosts, but please, please, keep it as minimal as possible.....

    Whatever happened to the 99.99 % uptime ideal?
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce View Post
    I understand your point. Would Google analytics data suffice?

    I actually do not want to post this at all. Just that it is becoming a "monthly" thing, or seems to be becoming one.
    Google Analytics would be worse, considering it relies on javascript includes.

    Did you ask to be transfered to another machine? Did you ask them about their Hyperspin reports?
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80
    Google Analytics would be worse, considering it relies on javascript includes.

    Did you ask to be transfered to another machine? Did you ask them about their Hyperspin reports?
    Nope, I did not ask to be transferred, because I was told the server was ok, after they said they fixed it. That was months ago.

    Note that I mention the particular server more than a few times already; probably DTH does not have these problems on their other servers....

    I am curious if other people on the same server experienced downtimes or not... I am on a reseller, and I can see ALL my sites got affected, each month for a few consecutive days each time.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Well this forum is fairly big so maybe people will visit and put in their input.

    I actually setup an account with siteuptime as well.

    Its a nifty tool to have.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80
    Well, I actually hope someone from DTH can step in and give some answers.

    If it is with some host that has a bad reputation, no one would bat an eyelid, I suppose.

    I can definitely say that DTH is a good host in many ways, particularly in responsive support.

    But I didn't sign up for what seems like monthly time-outs, neither does anyone here, I'm sure.
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    this sounds like an awstats issue, not an uptime/downtime issue.

    not sure how DTH has awstats setup, but, usually it is on some sort of cron that updates the stats and pushes the updates out. If that cron failed one time, for whatever reason, you may not see stats updated - it is very unlikely this equates into actual downtime...
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    33,190
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce View Post
    ... I can definitely say that DTH is a good host in many ways, particularly in responsive support...
    And how did they respond when you asked them about this particular issue? You did contact them about, didn't you? I mean, since no one else on this forum can fix or accurately explain this problem, I'm sure you had the foresight to contact your host directly. Anything else is purely speculation. And, in the speculation category, I'd be inclined to go along with CartikaHosting.

    Please, for your, for readers, for dth, please contact your host.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    As everybody said, please contact DTH about this issue.
    Please also subscribe to free monitoring services, here are some links for you:-
    www.siteuptime.com
    www.hyperspin.com
    www.serviceuptime.com
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    Honestly, I don't understand why did you opened this thread instead of open a ticket with us, the uptime of the server where you are is over the 99.95% and of course, it was not down for 2 days, maybe Awstats was not updated for 2 days, or they got corrupted, in which case, I insist that I do not understand why did you opened this thread instead of a help desk ticket.
    If you have any question about your account/server please use our help desk, we do not offer support through this forum.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    And how did they respond when you asked them about this particular issue? You did contact them about, didn't you?
    No, he did not contacted us.
    This is the server uptime of where he's hosted by Hyperspin check every 15 min for the last 2 months.

    http://www.hyperspin.com/publicrepor.../13863/1/54716
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    80
    Alright, if it is an AW Stats issue, I rest my case.

    And yes, point taken.

    Just to add, the reason why I didnt contact you, was because I felt this could be a more serious issue than anyone thinks. And I didnt know if submitting a ticket would get enough of your attention. Thought server 20 is still having strange issues - It was having issues earlier this year, correct me if I'm wrong...

    Well, I apologize then.
    Last edited by TrinityIce; 05-02-2008 at 01:35 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    Glad that another problem is solved at
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce View Post
    Just to add, the reason why I didnt contact you, was because I felt this could be a more serious issue than anyone thinks. And I didnt know if submitting a ticket would get enough of your attention.
    Why not try contacting them first before making an assumption that could be damaging to their reputation?
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    I didnt know if submitting a ticket would get enough of your attention
    And you thought that posting a thread on an external unmonitored forum were going to be better than a ticket in our help desk where you already said that our response time is good?. There's where I don't understand you, I'm sorry but you lost me
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    And you thought that posting a thread on an external unmonitored forum were going to be better than a ticket in our help desk where you already said that our response time is good?. There's where I don't understand you, I'm sorry but you lost me
    hmm....that does sound a bit backward. It's like calling British Telecom to say the electrical power in your house has been cut off.

    awstats...they're never even close to proper stats anyway, they're more mickey mouse.

    rawstats should be used if you want a better measure of your stats.

    owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 05-02-2008 at 04:55 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    There's where I don't understand you, I'm sorry but you lost me
    It's not all bad Jedito. People got to know that actual uptime was very high, and that will count for something. It would have been really strange for repeated 2 days downtimes, to not have been noticed by other customers anyway.

    I've always considered that a negative thread, even if the customer's right (which fortunately was not the case here) can be turned into a positive thing, if the provider shows the right attitude.
      0 Not allowed!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    can be turned into a positive thing,
    Or if some bunny jumps onto the wagon Come on who doesnt like a cute energized bunny ?
      0 Not allowed!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    rawstats should be used if you want a better measure of your stats.
    The problem is that he run a very popular site (with some addons) and sometimes his logs grow to 2 GB, I guess that's the problem that he's experimenting, we delete the logs, probably before Awstats process them and he get a day or more lost at Awstats.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

  29. #29
    TrinityIce,

    Do you realize how to stupid you post is? Harming a company reputation for no reason then saying "I apologize". If I was DTH I immediately cancel your account.
      0 Not allowed!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Coder View Post
    TrinityIce,

    Do you realize how to stupid you post is? Harming a company reputation for no reason then saying "I apologize". If I was DTH I immediately cancel your account.
    If i were DTH i wouldn't as client would probably come back post something +Ve next time to cover up for the -ves
      0 Not allowed!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Coder View Post
    TrinityIce,

    Do you realize how to stupid you post is? Harming a company reputation for no reason then saying "I apologize". If I was DTH I immediately cancel your account.
    There's no need of being so rude and extreme . I was just trying to understand his behavior, but I have no hard feelings at all.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    61
    Could the morderators change the title of this thread to something more fair to dth, or at delete the thread. Obviously the OP made a mistake and he apologized for it.
      0 Not allowed!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dublin, California
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by como1 View Post
    Could the morderators change the title of this thread to something more fair to dth, or at delete the thread. Obviously the OP made a mistake and he apologized for it.
    I would suggest that the moderators do this as well since potential hosting customers, who are interested in DTH, would most likely do a search on WHT, and see the title of this thread. Thus, they might not fully read the thread, but glance at the first page and back away.

    However, I think that the thread should be kept. It actually helps DTH since it shows that they are a motivated host who tries to work out problems in a timely manner and is dedicated to providing the best uptime and support.

    Keep up the good work DTH. I was with you in the past, and will be with you in the future if I need shared hosting again.
      0 Not allowed!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    North of some border
    Posts
    5,589
    Quote Originally Posted by como1 View Post
    Could the morderators change the title of this thread to something more fair to dth
    Done.

    Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    I actually enjoyed this thread minus a few "angry" post from individuals that obviously are just trying to live up to their reputation.

    Here we had a great example of service and Jedito handled it like a charm. Sure he could have thrown an attitude and got defensive but instead he approached it with the idea of helping the client FIRST and then trying to figure out why the client felt they couldn't open a ticket.

    All in all - this client is happy and is keeping their service with Downtownhost.

    Good stuff.

      0 Not allowed!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ferenginar
    Posts
    4,156
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce View Post
    Alright, if it is an AW Stats issue, I rest my case.

    And yes, point taken.

    Just to add, the reason why I didnt contact you, was because I felt this could be a more serious issue than anyone thinks. And I didnt know if submitting a ticket would get enough of your attention. Thought server 20 is still having strange issues - It was having issues earlier this year, correct me if I'm wrong...

    Well, I apologize then.
    Now that the OP realizes he should directly contact his web host for support, shouldn't this thread be closed?
      0 Not allowed!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    33,190
    Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    Now that the OP realizes he should directly contact his web host for support, shouldn't this thread be closed?
    Sounds good.

    Thread Closed.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •