Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So who does pay normal wages online?

Just had a conversation with someone over MSN regarding a Support Tech position and I was quite surprised by this:

Catlin - Chief Executive Officer: MGS Hosting Services Inc. "The EXTREME Network" says:
    25-100 a month
    drew says:
    $?
    Catlin - Chief Executive Officer: MGS Hosting Services Inc. "The EXTREME Network" says:
    yes
    drew says:
    for how many hours work
    at least 10 hours a week
    drew says:
    40 hours a month
    drew says:
    for 100 dollars a month
    drew says:
    thats $2.50 per hour
    drew says:
    why would anyone do that?
    its online who the **** really pays normal wage online
    no one
    Thoughts?
    Would anyone agree or am I right in thinking this is slightly outrageous?
    Aquinox Hosting Solutions - UK Shared Hosting - Providing extensive support above and beyond the service we provide.

Web presence management in partnership with Mando Studios.

You really think people pay normal wages online?

I was offering you $4.50 a hour.

Who in the right mind pays $200+ dollars for a online workerr? Maybe if you were at the corp office, I would think about it.

No one does.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlin View Post

Who in the right mind pays $200+ dollars for a online workerr? Maybe if you were at the corp office, I would think about it.

No one does.
    Unless it's on a per-ticket basis, then a fair few companies WOULD pay normal wages.

Isn't it a legal requirement to meet the national minimum wage?
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

Quote Originally Posted by fumiNET View Post
    Isn't it a legal requirement to meet the national minimum wage?
    I don't think so for contract work.
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

Well, some idiots/kids out there work these positions because they want to make a few bucks, not realizing they could double or basically triple that just as a bag boy. If someone is only going to pay you what amounts to $1.00-$2.50/hr, you're wasting your time with them in my book.

And to answer your question, yes there are remote telecommute positions that pay normal wages.

Thats telecommute, not Hosting.

There isnt a online legal requirement for min wage,

Its 4.50 a hour at the start, going up to 15 dollars a hour.

We pay all of our employees hourly and normally start out around $8-$10/hr depending on the position. We always start employees out with a 14 day period at that initial rate then determine their salary based off of the performance in that time frame.

We pay our online tech support guys around $7 per hour and there's enough spare time that most work a 2nd job at the same time.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I'm not picking a fight here, but that underscores my point, I do believe, in this instance. If you are working a job online, which working technical support for a compnay hosting or not is, then you are telecommuting.

Actually, there is. It's called federal law.
    If the person is an 'independent contractor', then there is not. However, if you require them to be there, at your beck and call, during certain hours, then you are required to pay them the federal (or local legal) minimums.

Not doing so can get you into a heap of trouble legally.

Telling someone "I'll give you 4.50 an hour" is just an insult, to the person, to your organization, and to your clients.

Now, pay per ticket, that's different completely. That allows individuals to work multiple arenas, multiple jobs, and multiple situations. A grunt / entry level tech, maybe $7-10/hr. $4? No way in hell, it's below every state's minimum wage requirement, and well below federal minimums.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Actually, there is. It's called federal law.
    If the person is an 'independent contractor', then there is not. However, if you require them to be there, at your beck and call, during certain hours, then you are required to pay them the federal (or local legal) minimums.

Not doing so can get you into a heap of trouble legally.

Telling someone "I'll give you 4.50 an hour" is just an insult, to the person, to your organization, and to your clients.

Now, pay per ticket, that's different completely. That allows individuals to work multiple arenas, multiple jobs, and multiple situations. A grunt / entry level tech, maybe $7-10/hr. $4? No way in hell, it's below every state's minimum wage requirement, and well below federal minimums.
    I think that person is from Canada which, of course, doesn't follow US law. I'm sure they have their own laws about wages which are probably pretty much in tune with US labor laws.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Its 4.50 a hour at the start, going up to 15 dollars a hour.
    You really shouldn't be running business, since you clearly have no understanding of labor laws. Doesn't matter if it's online or "telecommute"? Whatever the hell that means.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Honestly, companies that care about their employees/contractors and want to keep them around. Hell, I made more money with my first hosting job at hire then you're offering and the plus side to that was I had no set hours.

Now, if someone had to go to your office, you'd still only pay $200/month? (as you said you'd think about it) That wouldn't even cover gas and food for that month of work.

To the OP, go to hostgator and get $40k/year (and if you're 21 and in the US get beer) -- though I think you have to move to Dallas.
    -Steven | u2-web, LLC - Clustered Shared Hosting
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

LOL - my guys just sent me this link..

I couldnt even imagine paying them these rates...

who cares if its online or in an office - as long as the work gets done - thats all that matters...

I wouldnt trade our guys in for anything - and paying them these sorts of rates would pretty much be begging them to leave

No one does.
    LMFAO. Are you kidding me? Would you work 40 hours a month for $200? Think about it? Aside from being extremely insulting, that has to be close to illegal here in Canada. Online or not, that's just a damn joke.

Wishing you no success...

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    LMFAO. Are you kidding me? Would you work 40 hours a month for $200? Think about it? Aside from being extremely insulting, that has to be close to illegal here in Canada. Online or not, that's just a damn joke.

Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post

well here the min wage is 8/hour for those over 18 years...I guess if you sign on as a contractor and agree to the pay it's legal, otherwise you'd be better off working at Best Buy.

half the population of India would do it for a fraction of that price.

240 hours/month for $350 is good pay over there.

It really just depends on the quality of service you want to offer to your customers. Personally, I need techs who are very well-rounded in their experience and who are based in North America (language differences are a HUGE issue when it comes to the quality of support).

--Tina

It really just depends on the quality of service you want to offer to your customers
    I agree 100% here. If you're after cheap quality, cheap service, have someone work for $2 / hr, but you'd better make sure you're following local law in doing so.

When you grow as a business, you realize that those $2/hr employees are COSTING you more money than they're making you though, due to, as Tina said, language issues, lack of true tech. knowledge, a myriad of things, and you'll come baack to reality quite quickly.

In some cases, you get what you pay for. If you want lousy workmanship, pay someone $2/hr to do it, even $4/hr. If you want decent workmanship, then pay decent wages.

ring up Dell support and see who answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZL6net View Post
    ring up Dell support and see who answers

Once they've sold you a laptop, you can't very well "cancel" services because you get stuck with a barely-English-speaking support person. Hosting is completely different.

--Tina

Sure. If they're a legitimate business, they pay normal wages for whatever country the person works from. It doesn't matter that it's "online".

According to that MSN transcript, you tried to offer $25/month for 40 hours a month. That's $0.63/hour. If the $100/month range is for the same work (and not for working 160 hours), that's still $2.50/hour.

You would think about it? You would be legally obligated to! If the person is working in Canada, you are bound by Canadian minimum wage laws. If they're in the US, then US laws.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Once they've sold you a laptop, you can't very well "cancel" services because you get stuck with a barely-English-speaking support person. Hosting is completely different.

--Tina
    And most everyone I talk to that gets that 'support' swears they'll never go back to Dell again. There's a few that will put up with it, but most, from what I've experienced say the same thing.

My dad, a lifelong Dell fan switched because of that 'support'. We're talking pdas, laptops, desktops. The man must dump between 1k and 5k a year there on electronics, or did, until he found out they were outsourcing support to save a buck. Now, he does business with someone else. Whom? I don't know, but the point is that they lost the business, a LOT of business like that.

When you deal with 'outsourced', 'scripted' , 'cheap' labor, you get pathetic customer retention. If you don't care about keeping your customers, yeah, send them elsewhere.

Again, if you want quality , you pay quality. if you don't care, you ship the 'customer service' area elsewhere. If you DO that though, you run a strong risk of losing a good deal of customers who will take their businesses to people who DO care.

You would think about it? You would be legally obligated to! If the person is working in Canada, you are bound by Canadian minimum wage laws. If they're in the US, then US laws.
    Not True. There are no internet wages about By law we have to pay. There isn’t a internet law in Canada, or in the U.S, My Law Team Assures me.

Why the hell should I start him at 15 an hour if he doesn't work all those hours?

I was offering him 25 a month to begin with for a week, some of my workers get 15 dollars a hour, That’s 15. I was willing to increase it after I saw his performance up to 15 an hour.

Regards

Not True. There are no internet wages about By law we have to pay. There isnít a internet law in Canada, or in the U.S, My Law Team Assures me.
    Perhaps you need to pay your "Law Team" more than $4.50 an hour.

--Tina

There are no internet wages about By law we have to pay
    So, Canada has no federal minimum wage?
    Nice!

My law team is one of the top In Canada. They get wayy more than $4.50.

I talked to Government Officals, There Is NOT Wage Law Online, nor is it listed on any site on the FTC, BBB, Canadian Government, etc

I was offering him 25 a month to begin with for a week, some of my workers get 15 dollars a hour, That’s 15. I was willing to increase it after I saw his performance and that he was active, up to 15 an hour.

Regards,
    Catlin Wells,

<<Signatures need to be setup in your control panel>>
    Last edited by MikeWalczak; 05-03-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Edited out Sig

We are not obligated by law to meet the wage online, when they are NOT Adults and half of the time not legally entitled to work because of their ages, etc

Sorry bout Double Post.

My law team is one of the top In Canada. They get wayy more than $4.50.

I talked to Government Officals, There Is NOT Wage Law Online, nor is it listed on any site on the FTC, BBB, Canadian Government, etc

I was offering him 25 a month to begin with for a week, some of my workers get 15 dollars a hour, That’s 15. I was willing to increase it after I saw his performance and that he was active, up to 15 an hour.

Regards,
    Catlin Wells,

<<Signatures need to be setup in your control panel>>

You talked to the BBB and FTC about wage law in Canada?

You were willing to pay him $15 an hour after you said this: "You really think people pay normal wages online?"

How do you offer someone $25 a month for one week? A month has approximately 30 days in it. A week has seven.

No offense, but you're not making much sense.

--Tina
    Last edited by P-nut; 05-03-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: edited out edited out quoted signature

We are not obligated by law to meet the wage online, when they are NOT Adults and half of the time not legally entitled to work because of their ages, etc

You're not obligated to meet the minimum wage when you hire minors illegally?

--Tina

I will NOT meet any min wage, nor will I be forced too until I see that the staff I hire are active, and know their stuff, and then I pay more than the min wage, I will run my company as I see fit like I’ve done since 1999.

All my staff under the age of eighteen, I have consent from their parents, Signed and I have their contact information so I can talk to the parents. I also tell them to worry about school first and their job second. Its Like a Apprenticeship.

Do I know the age of Drew? But No, He freaks out and posts it on WHT, Remember Folks, MSN Chat logs can be edited.

I run a 8 Million dollar corporation and have since 1999, You think I don’t know how to run it and haven't dealt with these situations before?

Keep Going, I have all day to debate this with you all.
    Last edited by Catlin; 05-02-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Sorry bout Double Post.
    Are you running a business in Canada?
    If so, then you are required to live up to minimum wage requirements. If you require the individual to work for you, at dedicated times, you are required to pay them minimum wages according to the appropriate province. This, directly from your government website

Employees—other than registered apprentices—must receive at least the minimum wage, which is paid at the same rate regardless of age or status as a student. It is based on an hourly rate or an equivalent calculation. Apprentices being trained on the job that are registered under and paid according to a provincial apprenticeship act are exempt from minimum wage standards.
    Fire your lawyers, they've just been shown up by google search.
    Oh, there IS an exception to that law, and ONLY ONE
    There is another case when employees may receive less than the minimum wage. When room and/or board are provided by an employer and the arrangement is accepted by the employee, the employee’s wages may be reduced below the minimum wage, but not by more than 50 cents per meal and 60 cents per day for lodging. For example, if the employer provides three meals a day ($1.50) and lodging (60 cents), then a total of $2.10 will be deducted per day from the employee's wages.
    Now, I really doubt you're paying room and board, or that this individual is a federally registered 'apprentice'.

If you do business in a country and require individuals to be somewhere FOR that business AT a certain time, you are legally obligated to provide the federally mandated minimum wage. This is universal, whether you're in Canada, US, UK, wherever. Just because it is 'online' work does NOT mean that it is exempt from the law. Any lawyer worth his (or her) salt will tell you that, and will refer you to the VERY PAGE I just found (with a 5 minute google search).

Edit:
    As far as age, that does not factor in. Again, according the government pages again
    4. Is there a special minimum rate for employees under 17 years of age?

No. The rate for employees under the age of 17 is the same as for employees 17 and over. Where minimum hourly rates for a province or a territory are fixed on the basis of age, the minimum hourly rate for that province or territory is the highest of those rates.
    5. Is there a special rate for students?

No. The minimum rate applies to students in the same manner as to other classes of employees.
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 05-02-2008 at 09:11 PM.

You guys crack me up. These are the same people that refuse to believe you aren't required to W2 their full time employees, much less file their taxes quarterly.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I run a 8 Million dollar corporation and have since 1999
    Your "8 million dollar" corporation needs to spellcheck your website.

"Our highly maitenenced".

That and half the links don't work.

Also, your domain was registered in April 2008? I thought you'd been in business since 1999?
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

Originally Posted by Catlin View Post
    I will NOT meet any min wage, nor will I be forced too until I see that the staff I hire are active, and know their stuff, and then I pay more than the min wage, I will run my company as I see fit like I’ve done since 1999.

All my staff under the age of eighteen, I have consent from their parents, Signed and I have their contact information so I can talk to the parents. I also tell them to worry about school first and their job second. Its Like a Apprenticeship.

Do I know the age of Drew? But No, He freaks out and posts it on WHT, Remember Folks, MSN Chat logs can be edited.

I run a 8 Million dollar corporation and have since 1999, You think I don’t know how to run it and haven't dealt with these situations before?

Keep Going, I have all day to debate this with you all.
    wow - you want me to be impressed that you built an $8M/year company on the backs of child labour???

Ill be more impressed when you can do it, as many of us have - with a real, qualified, ADULT workforce making enough money to pay their bills and such...

I run a 8 Million dollar corporation and have since 1999, You think I donít know how to run it and haven't dealt with these situations before?
    If you run a 8 million dollar company, then you should have enough money to give them to start out with instead of peanuts. Not to mention having a web site that works. (if mgshosting.com/ is you) No one is telling you how to run your company, we're just telling the OP that he can get better offers else where.
    -Steven | u2-web, LLC - Clustered Shared Hosting
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Does this also mean outsourcing is illegal? I mean companies like Rogers enter into contract with other companies in India to provision tech support over the phone and we know they don't pay even close to the minimum wage as they are governed by their own employment legislation.
    The question is what if somebody who is Canadian / US citizen hires someone from lets say India. Do they still have to meet the minimum wage requirement or would the contract be illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawatech View Post
    Does this also mean outsourcing is illegal? I mean companies like Rogers enter into contract with other companies in India to provision tech support over the phone and we know they don't pay even close to the minimum wage as they are governed by their own employment legislation.
    The question is what if somebody who is Canadian / US citizen hires someone from lets say India. Do they still have to meet the minimum wage requirement or would the contract be illegal?

Outsourcing to a COMPANY and paying them whatever they ask for is not illegal. A B2B transaction is entirely different than hiring someone.

--Tina

Does this also mean outsourcing is illegal?
    No, and why has been explained in the thread already:

When you outsource something to a company, you are not paying their wages directly. You are paying a company X amount of dollars to provide a service.

When you hire an individual, you are directly paying their wages. When you hire them and say be here X hours, they are your employee for X hours. You are required to file taxes and maintain minimum work environments, as well as adhere to all legal standards.

Of course most major companies outsource to India, because they're cheap. They don't have to worry about the customer satisfaction end of things. This is fully legal, though it should be the opposite.

The problem is that this individual is not part of an 'outsourcing' organization, they are a sole individual. Thusly, the company is obligated to pay full wages, and keep full documentation of employment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast