Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chatsworth, CA
    Posts
    105

    How Good is Hostnine?

    I just went through the Gazzin fiasco. Gazzin has everything back up, but I did get a reseller account with Hostnine as redundancy. I have a 30 day guarantee situation. My plan is to have all of my customers and domains (over 100) with both host's for redundancy. If one has a failure, I can switch to the other.

    The downside is that my customers will have to change their dns setting with their name provider from ns1.ihostking.com to ns1.ihostking.net, etc..

    The upside is that I am not going to be sitting for 3-4 days feaking out ever again!

    What do you know about Hostnine? From my own experience, I like the fact that I can actually call an 800 number and talk to someone. I can decide which data center throughout the world to install the domain at, I can do linux or windows hosting, etc. The downside that I have seen is their proprietary reseller screen. I am used to WHM. However their proprietary screen shows you each node and its status worldwide.

    Anyway, I am not concerned about overselling. I am concerned with reliability and support.

    What have you heard?
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

  2. #2
    IMHO, stay away from h9. I have met most of their support representatives in real life and they are extremely unprofessional for the most part.

    Don't get me wrong, they do have "24/7" support and you will usually get a response from their tickets, but you would probably get a more helpful response from a 7 year old.

  3. #3
    I think they are actually really good. Ben and his team are always professional and quick with me. I've had a few reseller accounts with other companies and these are the ones that I have stuck with. The choice of where your data is has huge benefits to your client and if one location or node isn't working to your standard then you can mirgrate the account with two clicks from the control panel. There control is different but always being developed and has windows account creation there. So you can offer nearly the full tech package: php,asp.net, ruby on rails and the rest.

    I would recommend them!


    Cheers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    Quote Originally Posted by overlord2kx View Post
    IMHO, stay away from h9. I have met most of their support representatives in real life and they are extremely unprofessional for the most part.

    Don't get me wrong, they do have "24/7" support and you will usually get a response from their tickets, but you would probably get a more helpful response from a 7 year old.
    Have you ever had an account with HostNine?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Have you ever had an account with HostNine?
    Yes, I have.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    Alright, just making sure.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The Home Of The Simpsons
    Posts
    982
    I have never had an account with them but.... I have had experience with one of their most predominant tech support people ... when I had an account with BlueWho. When this person was at BlueWho he was not very pleasant to deal with and often provided canned answers that didn't touch my question. I was recently looking for a new provider and visited Host Nine. All I had to see was this tech to know I wasn't going there.

    This is my opinion of a tech not host nine in general. I feel that I should be able to post my experience with this tech.. after all tech support is a huge part of what ever provider you pick.
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chatsworth, CA
    Posts
    105
    Laci so far my experience with their tech over the phone has been great. I forget his name, but he worked with me and listened to my nightmare story while I was down with Gazzin. My biggest concern is reliability, i.e. outages and quality of service., i.e. support.

    I just wanted to see what other thought from first hand experience. I also want to make sure that they are around for the coming years. I have had past experiences where I have paid money and the provider went out of business. Since I have many PHP/SQL sites now, I could be in big trouble if a provider goes down and I do not have a recent PHP/SQL backup.

    I have learned a few lessons recently.
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The Home Of The Simpsons
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by iHostKing View Post
    Laci so far my experience with their tech over the phone has been great. I forget his name, but he worked with me and listened to my nightmare story while I was down with Gazzin. My biggest concern is reliability, i.e. outages and quality of service., i.e. support.

    I just wanted to see what other thought from first hand experience. I also want to make sure that they are around for the coming years. I have had past experiences where I have paid money and the provider went out of business. Since I have many PHP/SQL sites now, I could be in big trouble if a provider goes down and I do not have a recent PHP/SQL backup.

    I have learned a few lessons recently.
    it was a support tech I was referring to.... Good luck in your search
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    392
    I have been with hostnine since soon after they opened shop and would recommend them! Their support team has always been nice and professional with me and has also showed extreme experience and skill while handling question or issues. Their support, service, and uptime have been great.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ferenginar
    Posts
    4,156
    iHostKing,

    How much disk space and bandwidth do your websites use?

    Also what's your budget?

    Please remember, you get what you pay for. Peace of mind and reliability are usually worth the extra $10+ per month.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chatsworth, CA
    Posts
    105
    RossMAN sorry about not seeing your question earlier I have been busy.

    I would prefer to discuss the responses to your questions privately if you don't mind.

    I will say that I have well over one hundred domains.
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    890
    Support is fairly good, downtime galore.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    119
    They have had some major downtime issues recently, with their UK servers being down at least once or twice a day.

    Prior to the last month with ddos attacks and terrible uk servers they have been pretty good for me. The support team have always been knowledgeable and polite - I'm hoping they sort their current situation out quickly though.

    -Tim

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chatsworth, CA
    Posts
    105
    I am not going to be using any UK servers at least for now. Are they having the same issues here in the US?
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    119
    They had some servers affected in the US with some heavy ddos attacks over the last week, but they seem to be sorted now. Other than that the US servers that my sites are on have been pretty stable with decent uptime.

    They have said they are actively looking for a new UK ISP for their UK servers too, but I don't know how long that is going to take.

    -Tim

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    Have you tried to search about them? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

    There are many reviews about their service that will help you to make your own mind.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    890
    Well my US sites are down now, and i said if they don't get them up I'm gone.

    The tech replied with the cancel URL! Poor service.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chatsworth, CA
    Posts
    105
    My US California sites are up right now!
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Sohan View Post
    Well my US sites are down now, and i said if they don't get them up I'm gone.

    The tech replied with the cancel URL! Poor service.
    Do you have a ticket in on this? I'm not showing any outages or reboots on any of our servers within the past 48 hours.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35
    I should say i been in hostnine for almost 1 yr now and i am happy in their support and i really appreaciate them so much...
    But if you are required more emails like 10,000 they cannot handle this things they only accept 250 email per hours.
    and this is the things i upset...
    but in over all they are good

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,248
    Have been with them for 9 months now and the overall experience has been pretty good. Would recommend absolutely.
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

  23. #23
    mee too, i am really happy with them..

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    Do you have a ticket in on this? I'm not showing any outages or reboots on any of our servers within the past 48 hours.
    Just check up my name and go through. I have numerous tickets opened about downtime and outages.

    The member of staff that suggested I leave is Josh, your level 3 tech. Very unhappy about this.

  25. #25
    Yes Lots of downtime. Now their servers hosted at the planet are down.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35
    NOW i really upset my reseller are down so all my site under the reseller are down also. so all my client are UPSET, and i receive a lot of complain. Until now our reseller we cannot access..
    No response in the forum..

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    340
    There are plenty of responses in our forums if you check forums.hostnine.com

    Right now there is a major outage at the planet causing over 9,000 servers to be offline. A quick search on WHT will confirm that as well.

    Dozens if not Hundreds of hosting companies have been down just like us and there is nothing any of us can do about it but be patient.

  28. #28
    I guess thats the disadvantage of not having physical access over the servers and related equipment running your company.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    584
    IMO. What you would probably be better off doing to avoid the DNS Switch situation is have two providers, Mirror the data. And then have a third server to handle all your DNS Queries. So that in the event of a failure you can do a mass update to the IP addresses on your DNS Server so that they will be up on the backup system. Make sense?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitienet View Post
    IMO. What you would probably be better off doing to avoid the DNS Switch situation is have two providers, Mirror the data. And then have a third server to handle all your DNS Queries. So that in the event of a failure you can do a mass update to the IP addresses on your DNS Server so that they will be up on the backup system. Make sense?
    That's exactly how Reseller Central works. We have a DNS cluster setup with name servers in Chicago and Texas at two completely companies. There has been several cases when we had to migrate a server to a new data center and it was as simple as rsyncing the data then updating the DNS zones on the cluster.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    That's exactly how Reseller Central works. We have a DNS cluster setup with name servers in Chicago and Texas at two completely companies. There has been several cases when we had to migrate a server to a new data center and it was as simple as rsyncing the data then updating the DNS zones on the cluster.
    In which case, why can you do nothing about the outage at TP?
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    Dozens if not Hundreds of hosting companies have been down just like us and there is nothing any of us can do about it but be patient.
    Are you saying that your system has no remote backups and requires that the old host server is up and working in order to sync your clients' accounts to a new location? If so that's not at all what infinitie was suggesting.
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    584
    It would need to be mirrored (nightly updates for example) so that in the event the primary server crashed, you could switch the DNS server over so your customers would have mostly updated information.

    If it requires to be synced to the old server at all times, it would kinda be pointless.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35

    WHAT HOSTING COMPANY?

    i would like to ask what hsoting company accept this things to mirror the reseller site so they will not experience the down of the other server...

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    In which case, why can you do nothing about the outage at TP?

    Are you saying that your system has no remote backups and requires that the old host server is up and working in order to sync your clients' accounts to a new location? If so that's not at all what infinitie was suggesting.
    90% of the servers we had offline at TP were legacy standalone servers not using the DNS Cluster associated with Reseller Central. I was saying we use a DNS Cluster system so if we had to restore backups in a state of emergency to a completely different data center it would not be a problem for us since we use the DNS Clustering and several other features that power Reseller Central.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    istanbul
    Posts
    17
    Just stay away from hostnine... STAY AWAY!...
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=694749

    Or if you intend to risk your investment do it by monthly payment since they do not respond your support request or your money back request...

    Don't choose werse or equalyy worse service by swithing to hostnine...

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    istanbul
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    90% of the servers we had offline at TP were legacy standalone servers not using the DNS Cluster associated with Reseller Central. I was saying we use a DNS Cluster system so if we had to restore backups in a state of emergency to a completely different data center it would not be a problem for us since we use the DNS Clustering and several other features that power Reseller Central.
    It is strange that there is someone around from hostnine... Could you please finish my cancellation request on your file opened on 15th May:
    [#ULZ-141729]: #### Cancellation Request ####

  37. #37
    I was a customer 2 years ago as a reseller. I purchased a reseller package and paid for a year in advanced. After three months my site, and my customers site went down for over a week. I lost all of my customers, and when I asked for a refund they did not want to process it because it was past their money back guarantee. I will never purchase hosting from Hostnine.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    584
    LOL. Gotta love the unanswered cancellation ticket from May 15, 2008. It happens to the best of us I guess

    The hosting industry is truly a magical one, where near 100% uptime and high quality customer service is the key to keeping your customers happy.

  39. #39
    i dont think so

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •