Godaddy taking over too much of my customer base

Right now about 80% of the customers who are leaving me are going to Godaddy. I find this kind of strange. There are so many hosts out there...but they choose Godaddy. Why ? I asked some of them but got no reply so far. Does anyone here have the same issue ? I mean Godaddy taking over some of their customers. I.e. last week I lost 9 domains to Godaddy. These guys really scare me. According to webhosting.info Godaddy is the fastest growing registrar with an insane advance. I think they are trying to monopolize. I think any of you guys buying your domains from them is supporting them taking you over at one time.
    We have to take it seriously. This **** is no ****ing game ! I and many of you are paying our rent with it.

BUY YOUR DOMAINS ONLY FROM REGISTRARS WHO DO NOT SELL WEBHOSTING !!

Haha, loving the "Doomsday" style of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
    Haha, loving the "Doomsday" style of the OP.
    Man...this industry is already past Doomsday I am just trying to make the best out of it.

It's because of the crowd you're attracting . They will look for something cheaper with more than you can offer, but if you can keep your service level up I doubt they'd want to leave, or in any case they'll be back when they start hitting problems.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    It's because of the crowd you're attracting . They will look for something cheaper with more than you can offer, but if you can keep your service level up I doubt they'd want to leave, or in any case they'll be back when they start hitting problems.
    I agree. If the OP is really losing that many customers to GoDaddy, then he's probably targeting the wrong market.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by glace View Post
    Man...this industry is already past Doomsday I am just trying to make the best out of it.
    Sell up while you still have something to sell.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

From the host who stated, "I have been considering to write fake reviews. I do not consider it as morally wrong since I am only lying to compensate the lie from someone else" and, "I would like to let you know I am having the exact same problem [Hacked 3 times in 2 days]" and other brilliant tidbits.

Wow. Who woulda thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    From the host who stated, "I have been considering to write fake reviews. I do not consider it as morally wrong since I am only lying to compensate the lie from someone else" and, "I would like to let you know I am having the exact same problem [Hacked 3 times in 2 days]" and other brilliant tidbits.

Wow. Who woulda thunk it?
    Sounds like Karma to me.
    -- Adam

Glad you said it, Adam H, and not me. Stooping to lower levels to get customers isn't right, regardless of the size of the competition.

I think they are trying to monopolize.
    As is every for-profit organization around.

But like everyone suggested, Godaddy offers basic cookie cutter hosting at dirt cheap prices, in sacrifice of quality. You have to do something different.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

There will always be someone cheaper then you. In this case it is Godaddy. Later, it will be someone else.

If you're competing on price alone, then you don't have a chance.

My advice is to refocus your business on "service" instead of "price". ie: Target a market segment that is more concerned about reliable hosting and email then price alone.

Good luck!
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Anyone who's run a business in a highly competitive market like web hosting for instance will understand that the bigger you get, the bigger the outlay will become. Advertising costs will rise, hardware costs will rise, support costs will rise and basically all the other necessities to keep your company's growth afloat...everything is going to cost more to supply in the long run....that is if you intend to keep your place in the market by supplying a high quality product and keep your client base happy in order to stay head on with your competitors who are applying a similar business strategy

Webhostingtalk is one of many..if not the most important hosting forum on the net, therefore let me use WHT as a market standard.

It's not rocket science to do a search for hostgator and see all the negative posts they seem to be getting as compared to any decent ones.

They seem to have a lot of unhappy customers on here alone, so I can only assume that a broader picture from other forums would be the same. Then there must be an imaginable amount of unhappy customers who just don't ever bother to post on forums.

Either way, that cannot be a good outlook for any company trying to do business and certainly not for a company like hostgator who are in the already saturated overselling end of the hosting market.

If they don't try to appease their evergrowing unhappy customer base, eventually their percentage of the market will start to swing in the opposite direction which will see their turnover fall more and more and their service will slide to a low point and although I don't like to see companies fall from grace, that will be exactly what happens to HG, because customers will only take a belly full.

HG strikes me as a company who are building and building to reach a point and some bigger company will buy them out for a huge amount of money...but that's only my opinion.

To be successful in the long run, you need to take care of your client base, because without clients...there is no business.

It really depends how long you plan to stay in business.

I don't need money so much that I have to rip off and extort money from my clients like some hosting companies.

Hostgator do get a lot of negative reviews, but in their defense, I have seen them act very often and quickly on posts in here with regards to complaints etc, when other companies in the same area of the market seem to be too busy counting the money and their customers take an obvious 2nd place.

Oh!...to get to where Hostgator are in the market, you have to be ruthless, take no prisoners etc...and if anyone else was in their alligator shoes, then they'd most likely have to run a similar ship.

OWM
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 05-04-2008 at 05:50 AM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

The majority of our bad reviews on wht come from customers who have been suspended for non payment or are asked to verify their order for activation.

Anytime we run our mass suspension script for non payment wht gets a flood of negative hostgator posts. It seems for every few hundred accounts suspended for non payment one of them runs to wht to bash us. Naturally when we suspend thousands within a few day period it would appear hostgator is doing "bad".

I always recommend the full thread be read rather then just reading titles. It's extremely rare that hostgator is at fault to a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    It's extremely rare that hostgator is at fault to a problem.
    << cough cough >>

Well, I'm not sure "extremely" would be the word I'd use... unless you're willing to publish your numbers publicly so we can concur...

But.. in hostgator's (or any large company's) defense:

The bigger the host -- the more the complaints. This is just statistics at play. Any of the "large" hosts will have a significantly higher percentage of negative reviews, since they simply have more ex-customers. As a company grows larger, so will the number of reviews.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Niche, niche, niche, niche, niche, niche, niche - that is the key to success in this industry now! Don't try to compete with GoDaddy - you would need $100 million for marketing alone in order to catch up with them.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Sorry to hear Glace. If you sell on service vs. price and increase the amount of additional re-seller products and services you offer to your customers, you will build barriers that can reduce the amount of canceled contracts.