Rimuhost dedicated server vs. 2GB VPS slicehost?

I am currently running me web company (heavily MySQL driven web service for coin collectors) on a Rimuhosting VPS as following:

Memory 544 MB (Change)
    Disk Size 12 GB (Change)
    Data Transfer Allowance 40GB of Data Transfer
    Distro fedora7

This setup costs me $54.95 / month

The load on the VPS constantly hovers around 2.5-3 with occasional spikes to 6-7. We have optimized some of the queries and fiddled a bit with some background services but load does not go down much so I figure it is time to upgrade.

My question is:

Shall I go for a 2 GB slice with slicehost for $140 (RAM: 2048MB / HDD:80GB / BW: 800GB)

or

The entry level dedicated Rimuhosting server:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Dual Core Allendale 2.0GHz 2MB Cache
    2GB RAM
    160 GB HDD
    250 GB BW

for $169 / month

Appreciate your input!

Stefan

Not sure how a 512 MB VPS could be an alternative to any 2 GB VPS or dedicated server elvis....

Rimuhosting is a little more expensive than the average services provider in their industry, but if I were you I would definitely try to stick with them rather than leaving. I have been with Rimuhosting for a relatively long time (I believe since either 2005 or 2004). I left a few times to investigate a number of alternative services (hostgator, layeredtech, liquidweb, etc), but at the end of the day, I always seemed to get better all around service from rimuhosting. Their employees seem to actually enjoy what they do, which is always a good thing.

Now, I am a little curious though. Load times alone are not a good indicator of the servers load level. Does your site become slow or otherwise unresponsive during peak times? Are you running out of memory? Most vps offerings that I have seen suffer from slow disk access, so if you are swapping then I could see this resulting in some unresponsiveness. However, if your site is not unresponsive and the level of load is your principle concern then you should be fine on your current service - at least for a little while.

You probably deduced my conclusion from my first paragraph, but I'll state it again for clarity. If I was you, I would definitely upgrade to the VPS. I assume that this site is important to your livelihood and you are not currently suffering from bandwidth limitations? If that is the case then the 250 gb should be plenty and the peace of mind with Rimu should be an added benefit.

Cyrrion,

the 2GB is as good as your dedicated machine, and honestly would blow it away in a second.

We run the 1GB and 2GB internally for Windows running SQL and even Exchange, they work up to par with physical servers.

You should also consider 2 smaller VPSes and configure load balancing take a look here: http://howtoforge.com/high_availabil...artbeat_centos

The Core2Duo would be powerful than the VPS IMO.

It would depend on your processor. Not if your giving a 2 dual core Xeons or Opterons and you provide the VPS with the 4 cores.

Plus, I'm going to guess the dedicated is at least raid one, (hopefully)? A decent VPS will be RAID 10, much faster!

I forgot to add, a Xen VPS as far as resources, will behave just like a dedicated server. With guaranteed resources for you.

Spyro - Well - it's not the load number alone - at times the response is really sluggish and I am getting 502 Proxy errors quite regularly. I know what you mean - Rimuhosting has been a dream come true. I guess I will get in touch with them and see what they say.

Carlostabs - So from your experience the 2GB slicehost option is much better than the dedicated server I mentioned? How can that be?

Cyrrion,

The main reason I favor the VPS in this case, is because you are looking for a 'low-end' dedicated, vs a high-end Virtual. Big hardware differences.

Also; I cant speak for slicehost myself, I speak for a Xen high-quality VPS vs a lowend dedicated (with a desktop cpu and raid-1 if any).

To op: can you upgrade the RAM/CPU with the current VPS?

To carlos: "You should also consider 2 smaller VPSes and configure load balancing take a look here: http://howtoforge.com/high_availabil...artbeat_centos"

You do realize that the link you gave is for high availability, not load balancing, and wouldn't help one bit with load, right?

Quote Originally Posted by carlostabs View Post
    Cyrrion,

The main reason I favor the VPS in this case, is because you are looking for a 'low-end' dedicated, vs a high-end Virtual. Big hardware differences.
    I agree. You want RAID on a production server and a budget dedicated box is just one disk away from dying on you at the worst time.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

o carlos: "You should also consider 2 smaller VPSes and configure load balancing take a look here: http://howtoforge.com/high_availabil...artbeat_centos"

You do realize that the link you gave is for high availability, not load balancing, and wouldn't help one bit with load, right?
    I stand corrected here is the link I meant to put up

http://howtoforge.com/haproxy_loadbalancer_debian_etch (Debian)
    and
    http://howtoforge.com/high-availabil...rtbeat-fedora8 (Fedora)

Thanks for the correction Devon!