Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Control Panels - What is the best between CPanel, H-Sphere and Web Appliance

Hey all,

I have recently been looking around at control panels. The three I am interested in are H-Sphere, CPanel and WebAppliance. Does anyone have any input or suggestions on what is the best out there and the most bang for the buck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Binx; 08-22-2002 at 01:20 PM.

Personally, I like CPanel. Do i like it because **I** like it? No. If i had to pick from one, I'd chose Plesk... but customers adjust easily to CPanel as the layout is user friendly. Sure, webmaster guro's are familiar with heavy stuff, but i want to make sure my clients are comfortable with their control panel (and CPanel doest that.. or so i think). So I make due for now.
    Geek 3 Computer Repair

ALSO, it keeps the support on the low down (as questions can be based on complicated issues and not on simple control panel options (not that CPanel is 100% error proof.. LET ME JUST TELL YOU). haha.

Hope you find something! WebAppliance is also a good pick to be debating among
    Geek 3 Computer Repair

Thanks for the input Eric. User-friendly is definitely on the top of my list. I don't want to spend more time explaining things to our users The other one I have heard good things about is H-Sphere. Any good or bad feedback on H-Sphere would be great.

I personally find CPanel very very easy to use and it hasn't got all the problems Plesk has (the vB uploading one comes to mind), and CPanel is crammed full of features too
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

ENSIM's Webappliance is very easy to use. It takes less than 2 minutes to setup a domain. Customers love the "enter the stuff in the boxes" and then clicking a button to add your domain.

I need to get CPanel for my next server. Just staring at what you can do to it from the end users perspective is just insane

jt
    http://myrmid.com
    Affordable hosting for people who need lots of space and bandwidth. Personal plans available as well.

H-Sphere its pretty good for end user, it take more time to learn how it work from the administrator side of view, but once you learn it, ROCKS.
    It have Help desk and a billing system build in, that save you time and money
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

As a web host user, I personally like CPanel the best. It's very easy to use and has a good amount of features. And yes I have tried all the others, but I still like CPanel.
    Marc Immediato ([email protected] )
    AIM: immediat0
    IRC: Genix on EFnet; TheGenix on DALnet

Genix, precisely. I've tried them all (or the big named ones) and Cpanel just is too loaded to even deny. This is a very healthy discussion.. keep it going!
    Geek 3 Computer Repair

hi,
    ok...my 2˘ from a newbie user's perspective.

my hosting company has cpanel and i've been using it for the last nine months. it does its job like a champ.

the only trouble that i have with it is that cpanel wants to put webmail apps on some off the wall port, like 2095 for instance and those of us who are behind firewalls have a hard time accessing it.

but that's the only problem that i've seen. now i have heard of people being about to create work-arounds but i don't know enough to know how easy or difficult it is.

i know my current host can't pull it off. leaving me stuck with clients that need tasks performed and i cannot perform them from my dayjob.
    "If you come to a fork in the road...take it"

Yogi Berra

hey there... well hmmm. i hate mentioning this, but i always do on a last case scenario, is mentioning a web mail program such as mail2web.com (POP3 web mail reader). It's not the best in the bucket, but it's something that will access your Cpanel POP3 without you having to go through firewalls. It's not the most attractive plan, but it's a plan.

PS> as mentioned before, I **LOVE** the "this space for rent" on your siggy. hahahaha. you just watch, someone will prolly PM you soon (hahaha)
    Geek 3 Computer Repair

As an end user Cpanel is far supperior, its easy to use, and has an attractive interface. Ensim on the other hand, is pretty easy to manage from a admin perspective, and rather harsh on end users at first.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

How about cost - Which of the following is the cheapest in the long run

Ensim
    CPanel
    H-Sphere

Great responses everyone. Me thinks CPanel may be the way to go

The great thing about H-Sphere its scalability, you can have 1 server for Control Panel, and add web/mail/dns/mysql/windows servers as soon as you need it.

H-Sphere cost $4.5 per user (1 time fee).
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

How about cost - Which of the following is the cheapest in the long run

Ensim
    CPanel
    H-Sphere

Its C-Panel as far as i think...

Originally posted by ForumsAddict
    Its C-Panel as far as i think...
    Nay. Just between Cpanel and HSphere, HSphere will be cheaper in the long run. For example, you have 1000 clients on 3 servers.

With CPanel (non-discounted price), I will have to pay around $300/mo. My cost for 3 years will be $10800 or $3600/yr.

With HSphere (again, non-discounted price), I will have to pay around $4500 for the first year, and $900/year afterwhich. So my cost for 3 years will be $6300 or $2100/yr.

Furthermore, with HSphere I don't have to pay for another billing manager and help desk. It's all intergrated well.

And also, CPanel has an additional cost. It will cost some people some aspirins/medicines/medications because of the problems this control panel will give you. (What? your named is down after the control panel upgrade? )
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by FHDave

Nay. Just between Cpanel and HSphere
    CPanel's support is less than adequate for purchasing directly from the company. If you want Cpanel licenses, go elsewhere. Cpanel is over priced and under developed, has lousy licensing agreements, and does little. It helps manage a single server and that's about it. Way too much money for what it does and the install is plain rude. Just 10 servers and licensing for the servers if purchased (so you don't get reamed the rest of your life) would be approx. $14,000 (maybe a bit less if you can catch them running from their phone to talk to them about it) and it doesn't even allow for a centralized point of management or any other functions whatsoever. It's just a panel. If you want support, go elsewhere or purchase from a reseller if you even have the notion of using this product.

Hsphere is a clustering management interface. It's far superior to Cpanel (in terms of a panel anyhow, that's all Cpanel is) and the support with positive software is superb. Hsphere by no means is a fix all solution. What it does do is allow you to manage multiple servers and dns. It does allow for billing through commercial accounts. It's definitely more geared towards a "hosting company" solution and not a panel. Another benefit is the postgresql database it uses. It's nice and completely scaleable in terms of growth as far as I can see. Certainly not an overpriced flat file database single server management panel.

Hshere 2.2 does not allow simple things like allowing a person to do a simple search for a domain and allow purchase through the multiple registrars you might do business with. Why is this an issue? The built in cart and order processing system. This I don't understand. Give an output link to purchase a product that directly brings up the cart, then turn around and not allow for a simple whois lookup for purchasing a domain from the host. If you want to sell domains through Hsphere, you must use opensrs and go along with the way the panel does things. Being the billing of Hsphere is so tighly integrated with the management interface itself, more thought about their built in cart and billing/check out ideas should have been in place before it was implemented. We cannot use their internal cart script simply because it is less than adequate for what we are trying to accomplish in more than one way. Examples being colocation or dedicated server plan sales. So now you have double entry billing issues at best. Back to our own processing system and manually double keying. No CVS importer within it's billing system. Hsphere does not allow for management of any type of hosting solution next to virtual accounts at this point, although dedicated and colocation ideas are in the making to where it can be billed and setup through the billing softare, nothing at this time.

Hsphere will work with VPS partitioning schemes, but it will not setup and manage such like the next mentioned program does. Again, back to only allowing for virtual hosting setups and billing for such. I will say that VPS is also in the plans for Hsphere. So I do believe their overall objective is in the right direction for the most part.

Hsphere at this point would have done better leaving out the internal cart and billing in my opinion and need to find an immediate solution that will allow administrators the option to enable/disable the internal billing from the management interface. This would allow hosts to move onward with their own billing management systems until Psoft can figure out how they are going to do the other integrations such as the dedicated and colocation, VPS, billing etc.. This is not yet possible to my understanding and is a stumbling block to anyone selling anything other than virtual hosting. The program has many highlights that I give it praise for, the billing and cart isn't it. But It's still preferable for the enterprise server clustering interface that enables a host to maintain and perform standard dns hosting and server account setups. It's still by far a superior management solution for those interested in more than a panel.

Another I've consulted was Ensim for their serverXchange.
    This software isn't true clustering software. They basically told me it wasn't their business model and wanted to talk about "revenue streaming" more than getting down to business about what their softare could do for us. However, Ensim provides VPS and other functions that other management platforums do not according to those I've discussed the options with (not Ensim). They won't be getting my ten grand soon. They didn't even have the curtousey of contacting us directly as requested. I ended up being called by another host and having to explain that I wasn't looking for a host. They finally got the point and called me. Not the way to do business I'm affraid. They were more interested in talking about "their" business and asking about my current clientel and business size than to listen to the questions I was asking. I was much more interested in what their software platform would do for us and the direction we plan on taking. Be sure to drive up in your cadillac and impress them so they don't snub their nose at you.

All in All..... I think they are all to high for what they do with the exception of Hspere. They all ought to join forces (except DarkORb - forget it), and create a real hosting management platform that has at least most of the features needed by the industry. If you want to add a billing software and cart, fine. But do it right or add it as a module addon so at least an administrator isn't forced to use it.

So far...... "Nill", "Nott", "Nothing". No not one. "NOTTA"

There is no such thing as a commercial panel or management software on the market that will please everyone or give you the tools within the same program to maintain the multiple demands of the various hosting complexities. What one has the other lacks. That's been my experience. That's why I believe your larger corporate hosting companies design and integrate their own. Of course if you have any experience with the larger corporations panels such as Verio, you also realize that the panel offered is quite different than that of what the market is trying to become. Very few options in terms of managing an end user account in other words. And a more Plesk like atmosphere in terms of asthetics. At least at the time I was there two years ago.

For the moment: I would recommend Plesk for a single server panel solution even though it lacks asthetics, and Hsphere for clustering and dns management. Hsphere's clustering management is well thought out and well done. It provides a way for future growth and allows one to pay per licenced account. This will allow small startups the opportunity to have not only a panel, but a hosting management tool to start out with. Be prepared for a learning curve if you are used to a single server hosting control panel. That is not what Hsphere is in any terms of the word. Hsphere is not a control panel. Yes, Hsphere provides a control panel to both the administrator and end-user clients, but the objective with Hsphere is to allow multiple server clustering, dns management, and billing management through an enterprise menu. Positive Software seems to care as well and provides excellent support to their clientel and resellers. Their software is a good deal in comparison to others for what it does do.

As far as the end user panel for virtual accounts that Hspere offers... It's simply fabulous in my opinion. The options that the admin can allow the end-user to perform are quite nice. Just takes a bit of design work to get it integrated is all.

On one end of the scale you have companies designing panels for a box. On the other end of the scale you have companies expecting you to have at least a hundred or more servers up and running before you contact them. The ones in the middle seem to try, but they just don't have it together yet. Worse than this is the up and coming management or control panels. Yap, Yap, Yap, about how good it's going to be when it comes out for over a year or more. Complete vaporware and non-sense. Great ideas yes. But if the companies marketing current software don't have it together yet, what should make me think you do? Is yours going to be ready for the data center when it hits the store shelf? Maybe ready for a server test, but not the data center.

Either way you decide to go, look at the date of this post. Unless something has changed from this date on, or there is a commercially avaiable management platform that I am unaware of, plan on purchasing multiple softwares to get the job done if you are doing more than playing around on a dedicated box. That or hire someone to integrate everything you desire to have available.

The only reason I posted this was the fact that the above quoted gentleman was trying to compare DarkOrb's Cpanel to Positive Software's Hsphere program. What you are essentially doing here is mixing apples and oranges. Or maybe more like an apple and a rotton tomato. Cpanel receives a negative five out of ten for what it is, cost, the support it provides, coupled with the licensing agreements and lousy site documentation. The only reason whatsoever to even consider this program would be so the end user see's the eye candy they expect.

Although Hsphere isn't in the same league, Hsphere would be a six out of ten for what it does and provides considering the same terms as judging Cpanel by. Their site is well documented, their program functions on the platforms they advertise.

Ensim serverXchange I'm not sure about. Guess I better get my hundred servers up and running so I can impress them enough to talk to me about their product.

This is my opinion only.
    Last edited by NewMerchant; 08-24-2002 at 04:20 AM.

Thanks alot, new merchant for taking the time to do that lengthy comparison. You really spelled things out pretty well.

I think cPanel is the best when it comes to single server control panels. I agree with NewMerchant about it being a bit over priced but when you place all these control panels infornt of a client 90% of the time they will opt for cPanel. It has a better interface for the end user then all of the rest.

H-Sphere is good too, but if you have a pricing structure diffrence from the one that h-sphere supports, integration and migration from other control panels becomes a problem! Another thing that we noticed is that their technology is a bit resource heavey on servers and you will not be able to host as many sites on one H-Sphere server as you would with a cPanel server taking profits down...

Ensim, frankly is light years behind H-Sphere and cPanel..
    Last edited by Arsalan; 08-24-2002 at 05:24 AM.
    Arsalan
    Nexus - http://nexus.pk/
    ** Smart Solutions for Smart People! **

By the way FHDave, Internal Server Licences cost around $35-65/Month, so..

3 server = 105/M = $1260/Year

and you get free updates for the base servers software, not bad considering the sleepness nights you would save if you had to secure the server...
    Arsalan

I beg to differ. Hsphere in terms of asthetics out of the box is less than that of Cpanel. A few hours of html writing and the panel not only looks better, but functions better and gives far more options to the end-user as well as the ability to view billing records, upgrade their account on the fly, and I can go on and on.

How about the abilty to change their own dns records or maybe add/install their own SSL thawte cert from their own control panel? I mean come on. Copy and paste the the cert and key in the boxes and complete instructions right there on how to do it. Psoft has made is so grandma can install her Thawte cert while pulling up her panty hose.

How about the ability to convert from a shared IP to a dedicated IP or vise versa if you give them the liberty? Hsphere can be setup multiple ways for the end user. You can allow them close to administrative function, or you can limit them to certain amount of functionality. You cannot compare the functions of Cpanel to Hsphere in any terms. Cpanel is left in the dust. And that is only if we are just talking about the end-user panel and the function it provides. We get into what a management solution for a single server should be and they lose again. THen you get into what the data center or clustering management should be and you'll find that Cpanel is just a panel. They are not even a contender by a long shot or in any respect. Again Hsphere cannot be compared to Cpanel. I gave the reasons for this above.

Are we talking about the same Hsphere here? Are we talking about the Hsphere with all the pop up support menu's with directions in the control panel for the end user? Obviously not.

Here's more... How about the ability of the admin to selectivley choose who gets access to shell? Huh? I mean, here is one area that Psoft has their act together on. You can deny the enduser immediate access to shell through ssh and have them request the access. This gives the administrator the advantage of allowing or denying shell access with the click of a button. I mean right there with this simple concept, this single element, you have gained the right to have more control over what your clients are doing on your servers. Administration with a click of a button.

I assure you that I can have Hsphere's end user panel looking exactly like Cpanel in less than two hours. If that is the look you want. I personally would have something that looks simpler.

I ended up purchasing skins for Cpanel just to get what I wanted out of it. With Hsphere you can design your own and have a very broad range of changes that can be made to get the desired affect with nominal fuss. And the fact is that the changes are so well documented on the psoft site, it litterally takes hours to read all of the information about their product. Then you get finished reading, do a search, and find there is tons more to read.

As far as resource heavy, what are you running it on? I mean, how do you figure it's more resource intensive when Hsphere expediantly flys through the db? I see just the opposite. With the panel being centrally located on a server, sql queries being drawn from another, I see a speed increase over all from the flat file single server database.

You are talking about the end use panel and quite incorrect at that. I am talking in terms of not only server management, but data center (multiple server) management.

I think you've listened to the garble in these forums about Hsphere being slower than Cpanel. I've seen it and not said a word. Well.... It's not at all slower than Cpanel in any respect of the word.

Your way wrong about Hsphere as a user panel I'm sorry. Maybe kids prefer cpanel because all of the hype, but anyone wanting more than a pretty picture to look at would appreciate the end user hsphere panel. I don't have any quams with Hsphere and end user/single server management. My quams are with the billing/cart functions. I don't use their built in ticket system either. I have my own. But they do have one. The ticket system does work well and allows tickets to be placed right from the users control panel.
    Last edited by NewMerchant; 08-24-2002 at 08:25 AM.

Well, Lets take this point by point

1. asthetics
    cPanel is MORE user friendly, or let me rephrase that, its more "idiot proff". H-Sphere is gr8 for advance level users but for users just starting out hosting H-Sphere is a bit hard to learn, We ran both and got more support requests for H-Sphere then cPanel servers... Not to mention for the 1st time admins using H-Sphere is a real pain... It has a hard learning curve.

2. features
    cPanel offer a feature rich webmail program which you can use to change your e-mail password, cPanel offers Reseller accounts with resource base limitations, cPanel offers server to server transfers, it offers multiple scripts for client use like counters, forums etc (which H-Sphere is catching up to..) and I can go on and on, lets face it, H-Sphere and cPanel both have some unique features right now, but H-sphere is not for single server hosting, While H-Sphere is...

5. resources
    cPanel uses much less resources on a per server basis. H-Sphere uses a lot for its master server. we were running a master server with 512 mb ram and found that Tomcat has a tendency to eat up the system ever 2-3 weeks.. Also the usage went way up when 3-4 users were using the site design suite it offers..
    We have server right now with cPanel up for months...

4. server support
    H-Sphere is designed to work with 2-5 servers, i.e. in a distributed environment. This is a big plus point of H-Sphere, but cPanel is designed to work on a per server basis,

Frankly, I dont think a comparison of H-Sphere and cPanel would be fair, cPanel should be compared against single server softwares like Plesk, Ensim Webapliance, cobalts etc. H-Sphere should be compared against Server-X-Change and Sphera's server products!
    Arsalan

Again not true.

Hpshere has all that.

Domains
    Web options
    Change Password
    Change Account
    Add Account
    Web Mail
    FTP
    FTP Manager
    FTP service

Contact/Billing Info
    Contact Info
    Billing Info
    Online Invoice
    Online Price
    Tools
    SiteStudio
    File manager
    WebProtect
    Stats
    Submit URL
    Reverse Traceroute
    WebServer
    MimeTypes
    Error Pages
    Script Handlers
    SSL
    Redirect URL

Databases
    MySQL Server
    phpMyAdmin
    PgSQL Server
    phpPgAdmin
    CGI-Wizard
    Counters
    GuestBooks
    FormMail
    Chat
    Support
    Ticket Center
    New Trouble Ticket

And in fact tons more. Shall I copy and paste? You cannot even host or manage a postgreSQL database through Cpanel.

I've been using Cpanel for 3 years. There's no way in heck your going to pursade me that its anything else but a hyped up, over priced panel with lousy support.

No you can run Hsphere on a single server. That's the joy of it. Just because Hspere is designed to be a data center management tool, doesn't mean it won't run just fine on a single server. You just won't be using the tool to it's complete potential.

Ah....512M of ram. That explains alot of your problem right there. Try a minimum of a couple gigs on any shared hosting server. I know ram is expensive, but 512M is no where near enough ram to host multiple sql db's and manage a farm with.

As far as the comparison between Cpanel and Hsphere as you mentioned not being fair, re-read my original post. It's not even in the same ball park in any term of the word. That's what I wrote the first post for. No you can't compare the two. Exactly my point.

Ok let's do look at your view:

1. asthetics
    cPanel is MORE user friendly, or let me rephrase that, its more "idiot proff". H-Sphere is gr8 for advance level users but for users just starting out hosting H-Sphere is a bit hard to learn, We ran both and got more support requests for H-Sphere then cPanel servers... Not to mention for the 1st time admins using H-Sphere is a real pain... It has a hard learning curve.

>>I can see what you are saying in terms of idiot proof. I can. But it's your job to create the panel out of Hsphere that you want your end user to see. It's completely customizable. Just takes a bit of work. It's like a linux ubergeek using windows simply because it's supposed to be idiot proof. Taint gonna happin.

>>Advanced.... Naw... you can teach yourself hsphere in a weekend. If your real dunce and slow you can learn it in a week or two I'm sure. That's how long it took me to learn the fundamentals and get a handle on the concepts of what the programers were trying to achieve. I'm doing alright. I just keep poking at it. But yes, in comparison to Cpanel in terms of learning curve.... Cpanel has no learning curve. It works and installs like a microsoft product. Well at least windows asks you if you want to install this or halt or whatever. At least windows has options. Cpanel does it's own damn thing and doesn't at all tell you what it's doing to your hard work. Thus the comment about a rude install.

2. features
    cPanel offer a feature rich webmail program which you can use to change your e-mail password, cPanel offers Reseller accounts with resource base limitations, cPanel offers server to server transfers, it offers multiple scripts for client use like counters, forums etc (which H-Sphere is catching up to..) and I can go on and on, lets face it, H-Sphere and cPanel both have some unique features right now, but H-sphere is not for single server hosting, While H-Sphere is...

>>I disagree. Hsphere offers webmail. Hsphere has a reseller setup much more robust. Not sure about the server to server transfers with Hshpere. Hsphere has pre-installed scripts just like Cpanel. It has phpbb, counters, a chat room, and some other scripts.
    Hsphere can be used for a single server hosting solution. I would recommend a decent machine.

5. resources
    cPanel uses much less resources on a per server basis. H-Sphere uses a lot for its master server. we were running a master server with 512 mb ram and found that Tomcat has a tendency to eat up the system ever 2-3 weeks.. Also the usage went way up when 3-4 users were using the site design suite it offers..
    We have server right now with cPanel up for months...

>>Again I disagree whole heartedly. Cpanel does not use less resources. Cpanel is a flat file database and clunky. Hsphere is a pgsql database and can run many servers from it's own environment. Again the 512M of ram isn't enough for my graphics workstation pulling up multiple graphics pages without creating quite a draw out. A couple gigs on any shared hosting server minimum if you want overhead for SQL db's and management functions on the same server. And I'm taking it that you are using the same server for your syslogs? Way more ram. Not sure about eating a system. Your making Hsphere sound like it's resource hungry. Not at all. You might look into the direction of the hardware choices you are making. Many hosts choose to have a dedicated syslog server for example. Trying to do everything on a single machine for the hosting administration, then turn around and using it for your hosting server would most definitely require some hardware here. At least a PIII processor and a gig or two of ram. If your really want it to run, put in a Mylex controller and add some fast SCSI Seagate drives to it. Headroom. Same way with the band I played in years ago. 2000 watts of power, but not for volume. The power we used was 3-400 watts, the rest was headroom. You need headroom for clarity. For a clean sound. Same basic idea. Headroom for throughput without choking bottlenecks.

4. server support
    H-Sphere is designed to work with 2-5 servers, i.e. in a distributed environment. This is a big plus point of H-Sphere, but cPanel is designed to work on a per server basis,

>>True. It's not that Hsphere is "designed" to work with 2-5 servers, but rather designed to allow for server farm management or clustering. In other words, it's not that they designed the program to require more hardware, they designed the program to offer more. To those who want to manage more than a single server. True, Cpanel is designed to work on a server to server basis. That's because that's all it is. It's just a panel.

Frankly, I dont think a comparison of H-Sphere and cPanel would be fair, cPanel should be compared against single server softwares like Plesk, Ensim Webapliance, cobalts etc. H-Sphere should be compared against Server-X-Change and Sphera's server products!

>>Now we are on the same path. Exactly. Couldn't agree more. That's exactly what I said in the original post.

Cheers...
    Last edited by NewMerchant; 08-24-2002 at 10:13 AM.

Hello,

As we've been in touch with our clients, most of them are much more happier with Cpanel. Since it's very user friendly, has got more features, pre-installed scripts, etc.

But my vote would go for Ensim WEBppliance 3.1.

However I guess it's very good to provide your clients with choice of control panels upon their subscription to your services. Let them feel they have the option to chose from.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com

Cpanel may be more user friendly to some if you don't do work on the Hsphere panel to simplify it for them.

As far as more features? No way. Not even close.
    As far as pre-installed scripts? Care to compare?

Yes providing multiple panels and letting your clients choose is the best way to go. I can agree with that. I also agree that WEBppliance 3.1 looks nice for an end user panel. Simple and clean.

I still don't get why I see others saying Cpanel and their pre-installed scripts and more features. Cpanel does not have more features and in fact has fewer. Cpanel has preinstalled scripts. So does Hsphere. Bulletin board, chat, etc.... so on. I'm starting to wonder if earlier versions didn't have any of this. I assure you 2.2 end user panel has all of this. It has enough that you'll want to do work on the panel to simplify it for the end user. It's not a plug and play panel.
    Last edited by NewMerchant; 08-24-2002 at 08:54 AM.

Originally posted by NewMerchant
    Cpanel may be more user friendly to some if you don't do work on the Hsphere panel to simplify it for them.

As are as more features? No way. Not even close.
    As far as pre-installed scripts? Care to compare?

Yes providing multiple panels and letting your clients choose is the best way to go. I can agree with that. I also agree that WEBppliance 3.1 looks nice for an end user panel. Simple and clean.

I still don't get why I see others saying Cpanel and their pre-installed scripts and more features. Cpanel does not have more features and in fact has fewer. Cpanel has preinstalled scripts. So does Hsphere. Bulletin board, chat, etc.... so on. I'm starting to wonder if earlier versions didn't have any of this. I assure you 2.2 end user panel has all of this. It has enough that you'll want to do work on the panel to simplify it for the end user. It's not a plug and play panel.
    Hello,

Well, I appreciate if you can provide me a URL address which leads me to a H-sphere demo. We really like to make this choice available for our clients. Currently we are having choice of Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 and Cpanel. We'd like to add H-sphere as well.

Any assistance is highly appreciated.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com

http://demo.psoft.net:8080/demo/serv...oft.hsphere.CP

I warn you. It's butt ugly and non functional. It litterally shows nothing of what the program is about. There really isn't a demo that I know of. At least not a real one.

NewMerchant, try this, install cpanel on a basic server, lets say a 800 MHZ system with 256 mb ram, or even better, a P III I.4 ghz with 1 gig ram and compare them side by side with single server installations. Lets say they have to serve 150 gig every month with 250 clients each with just a few mysql databases, try it and see how soon you run into problems we did, I bet you will not be able to host as much clients as you can on a single installation H-Sphere server then on a cPanel server..

H-Sphere is designed to work with 2-3 servers, if you have lets say 5-6 servers then it works gr8, but for a single server cPanel beats it hands down!, infact lets make this a $100 bet, if you can host more sites on a single install h-sphere server then on a cpanel server let me know where to send the money!

Altering the design of a cp is a feature that both control panels offer, but not every one has the time to alter them...

Another thing, lets not forget that H-Sphere has its own billing system which isent really flexible, you cannot alter it to your own needs, if you plan to use it, you will have to follow their "style" of billing. Now why would some one change their business model if a software cant work with it ? Would you shift from making coke to pepsi because the tin cans cant hold coke ?

Regarding features, cPanel and H-Sphere have 90% of the same features, Some features are unique to cpanel some are unique to h-sphere...

I am not saying H-Sphere is not a viable option, my point is that H-Sphere CANOT be compared with cPanel because of their diffrence uses....

cPanel is ideal for any one who wants to run a few servers, H-Sphere isent! However, if you plan on running more then a few servers and add Windows boxes to your network H-Sphere is the way to go. It has some ares that need attension but overall for multiplatform hosting its really good...
    Arsalan

When I tried H Sphere, navigation was definitely slower than C Panel. I don't know if that was the fault of the host or H Sphere.

I would think that end-users would prefer the control panel with the easiest navigation; and that hosts would prefer a panel that cuts down on support questions. C Panel seems to offer than more than any other control solution.

I re-iterate: the number one thing that C Panel has over any other solution is "Easy Navigation". To do the same functions on H Sphere and others is like going thru a maze, requiring numerous clicks.

Whether I agree with it or not, most people prefer ease-of-use over security. That's one of the reasons why I believe Windows is the number one OS for home use.

In summary, if I'm choosing a control panel for myself, I might choose H Sphere; but if I want a saleable solution for reselling, my choice would be C Panel.

Eh.... Each to his own.

I don't run 800MHZ processors and 256M of ram. So honeslty I couldn't tell you what Cpanel or any other software would run like on that configuration. I don't use nothing like it.
    Last edited by NewMerchant; 08-24-2002 at 06:31 PM.

So, I "think" I've decided that for a single-server reseller acct, that C Panel works better.

For anything else, it looks like H Sphere is a better choice.

Hsphere runs fine on one of my single dual Xeon machines.

CPanel is good. But h-sphere has no monthly fees. But as user friendly is on top of your list...i would suggest CPanel.

NewMerchant - I think you are selling me on H-Sphere. We have quite a lot of servers so in that regard I am thinking this option may be right for us. As for redesigning the look of H-Sphere how simple would you say it is on a scale of 1-10. Thanks for the input

NewMerchant you could take the bet on with the P IV server configuration i suggested

Mr.G, on a scale of 1-10 I would rate H-Sphere a 8.5 with the current options available for multiserver administrations..

Cpanel, a 9 out of 10 for single server use...
    Arsalan

Originally posted by Mr.G
    NewMerchant - I think you are selling me on H-Sphere. We have quite a lot of servers so in that regard I am thinking this option may be right for us. As for redesigning the look of H-Sphere how simple would you say it is on a scale of 1-10. Thanks for the input

About like any other design work. Make a new dir in your /hsphere/ and dump the template set you want to work with in that one and rename it.

The question you asked is really to broad. I have no clue what your design skills are. But if you can slice a graphic, theyn heck..change the colors in the Hsphere panel to your likeing, slice up a graphic for the header, tell Hsphere where your graphics are right inside the admin panel. You can spend some time on it don't get me wrong. But design is design. I'm slow at design. So I just take my time and get done what I can. Put it this way, It would be easier to get the look you want than Cpanel. As mentioned I ended up buying skins for cpanel.

Best wishes
    Last edited by NewMerchant; 08-26-2002 at 02:20 AM.

NewMerchant you could take the bet on with the P IV server configuration i suggested.

I didn't want to take your money.

well i do want yours
    Arsalan

Originally posted by Mr.G
    As for redesigning the look of H-Sphere how simple would you say it is on a scale of 1-10. Thanks for the input
    You can have the look you want. But I have no clue as to your html expertise as you do not know mine. It is not possible to rate the ease of use based on my experience alone. For ease of use rating you would need first to desipher what a good html writer is and how fast and acurately they write html code.

I'm slow. I don't learn anything super fast. But when I get something down, I retain the information like a locked bank. Some learn quickly and have the memory of a goat. They retain little of what they learn.

Sorry, no way to give an accurate appraisal on this.

Can HostGui be in for comparison?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast