3 Quick Questions.. PLEASE help!

Whats up everyone... My name is Ryan, and I have a few questions for everyone regarding Web-hosting/design.

I am about to embark on a year long journey across America to film a documentary about America's meaning of life and happiness. For this I need a website that people can log onto, and post ideas, thoughts, download video and where I can blog and post important events. I have done some research as to what sites are the best for hosting, and as an admitted amateur, I must admit I am a little confused.

SO the 3 main questions I have as I start this are these

1. Which Web-host offers the most bang-for-your-buck, in regards to web-space, how fast people can download video, ect...

2. I would like the Web-design to be unique and professional, though I don't have much of a budget to work with. What would you suggest, as far as templates (Which I am afraid would look amateurish), or doing something myself

3. Because I plan on posting parts of the Documentary as I go in video format, does the type of web host I get depend largely on the space? or does that not matter too much?

I REALLY appreciate any and all input, and will anxiously look forward to comments and suggestions..

Thanks again and have a great day!

1.) You can either have a reliable webhost such as Dathorn, Inc, or a "most bang-for-your-buck" host such as Hostgator who "offers" insane amounts of space and bandwidth. But remember, you get what you pay for.

2.)There are quite a few people who can do designs for cheap. But than there's always http://oswd.org

3.) Space plays an important part, but so does bandwidth latency. You can have all the space in the world, but if they have a bad network, than it's pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    1.) You can either have a reliable webhost such as Dathorn, Inc, or a "most bang-for-your-buck" host such as Hostgator who "offers" insane amounts of space and bandwidth. But remember, you get what you pay for.

2.)There are quite a few people who can do designs for cheap. But than there's always

3.) Space plays an important part, but so does bandwidth latency. You can have all the space in the world, but if they have a bad network, than it's pretty useless.
    ok so, if money isn't that big of a factor when it comes to hosting (meaning I would like a website that I can rely on, and would be more than willing to pay a little more for peace of mind) would you suggest going with a company such as Dathorn, rather than a traditional commerical company such as StartLogic, or HostMonster (Which I have been told are two of the best commercial sites)

and secondly so I understand I want BAndwidth as much as space... does anyone have a number of about the amount space and bandwidth I should be looking for, to have peace of mind that videos/blogs/and forums will run smoothly...

Thanks for the response!

If you want reliability at a reasonable cost, I would highly recommend a host with a clustered setup, such as Cartikahosting, they provide a great service.

As far as space and bandwidth, I have no clue, since I can't tell the size, or amount of files you intend to host. But remember, you can and should start small, than upgrade your plan accordingly.

What does Clustered mean?

I already have my domain name.. can I use the already made domain name (from another website), and someone else host my website?

Also I went to Cartikshosting website, and a couple quick questions about that...

1. what does the "ASP, .NET, PHP, HTML" mean?

2. What does 20GB of Monthly transfer mean?

3. Is 1000MB a lot of storage space? what about 20GB of Monthly transfers...

------I know I must sound like that 5 year old at a toy shop.. but this whole thing is so interesting to me, thanks for the help!

Clustered hosting: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/Clustered_hosting

1.) HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) is a browser markup language. Go to any site, and if you're using Firefox for example. View -> Page Source. That's HTML.

PHP is a server side scripting language. http://php.net
    ASP is a server side scripting language by Microsft - www.w3schools.com/asp/default.asp
    .NET is a programming framework for use on the web and local computers. - http://msdn.microsoft.com/NETFramework/

2.) http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/Bandwidth

3.) 1000MB is roughly 1GB. So again, it depends on the files you intend to host.

ok.. very good to know... thank you sooo much...

Besides Cartikahosting.. any other hosting sites anyone would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by asudude View Post
    ok.. very good to know... thank you sooo much...

Besides Cartikahosting.. any other hosting sites anyone would recommend?
    I can only recommend hosts I have experience with.

Dathorn is very reliable, and I can also recommend CirtexHosting.

To be honest, Cirtex is probably more in your league. I have a website that streams flash movies, and have no problem with them whatsoever.
    Last edited by cloudrck; 05-01-2008 at 03:32 PM.

I agree that Cirtex is a great option for your video needs. One quick question though... Have you thought of uploading your videos to youtube and embedding them on your site to cut down on the bandwidth?
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by micksss View Post
    I agree that Cirtex is a great option for your video needs. One quick question though... Have you thought of uploading your videos to youtube and embedding them on your site to cut down on the bandwidth?
    Hrmm, that sounds like a good idea.

Would cut down on costs considerably.

If you want to host a video documentary site I would recommend using wordpress (its a script). Wordpress is basically a script for a blog.

I love wordpress it is very flexible not to mention easy to use. With several free plug ins you will be able include and easily manage the video that you have posted. So why not give it a wave?

And regarding your bandwidth and disc space needs. It basically depends on how long are your videos, the format, and the quality.

What I see is that you can compress the videos and post them to allow people to watch. Next you include a link on the bottom of the video to download the higher quality video. By doing this you are able to reduce the amount of bandwidth you use.