Los Angeles or San Diego Colocation

Alright so i have been looking around for colocation and I LOVE Calpop.com's pricing however, after speaking to the owner and researching on this forum about that, i have realized just how horrible they are. The owner Lynn told me that the price of electricity is a lot more than their bandwidth costs. I only wanted A 1/3 1/4 or even half a cabinet and he basically told me that they wouldn't be able to offer me the services that I want since I will be using too much power with 5-6 servers. I'm not looking for high quality low latency bandwidth but it would be nice. I just need lots of "power", good network redundancy, and quick phone support in the event that i need a hard reboot on one of my servers.
    I'm looking for a good price on 10Mbs of bandwidth, 10Amps of power and really just 1/3 or 1/4 a cabinet but in the near future i would like to go for a half or even a full cabinet. Any recommendations? I'm looking to keep the whole thing under $400.00 but i have a feeling my budget is way too cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by venkatam View Post
    I'm looking for a good price on 10Mbs of bandwidth, 10Amps of power and really just 1/3 or 1/4 a cabinet but in the near future i would like to go for a half or even a full cabinet. Any recommendations? I'm looking to keep the whole thing under $400.00 but i have a feeling my budget is way too cheap.
    $400 for a quarter and 10A is a stretch with 1Mbps let alone 10Mbps.

If you're willing to get into the $600-$800/mo. range you might talk to ComplexDrive in SDO or Corporate Colo in LAX.

Quote Originally Posted by serverminds View Post
    $400 for a quarter and 10A is a stretch with 1Mbps let alone 10Mbps.

If you're willing to get into the $600-$800/mo. range you might talk to ComplexDrive in SDO or Corporate Colo in LAX.
    there are many other good companies then just those two in LAX

Have a look here http://www.serverminds.com/?p=colospecials these are just a little above your price range.

Jim is a great guy too..

Anyone wanna chip in on a cabinet? hahaha

http://www.colomax.com/

I saw this deal.

Another website was offering $450.00 for 10u + 10amps + 5Mbs of value bandwidth. And for $550.00 it would be premium bandwidth. Sound like a good deal? I'll post up the site as soon as i figure out what it was again. I was still looking for something less then $400.00

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan23 View Post
    there are many other good companies then just those two in LAX
    i'm sure there are - so why not give 'em a plug?

I obviously no nothing about the LAX market - I'm just offering up the only place I actually have any personal experience with. Realistically there are probably many, many good places to colo in the region.

New Spiel going on at Calpop. A full cab is only 20 amps, you can't get any more power, and they reserve 4 amps. So basically your looking at 16amps for a full cab. Basically the reason for the new rules is to get the connectivity issues at Calpop taken care of. I may not agree with everything going on. But its a start in a better direction than what has been going on with Calpop over the years.
    Geek

What do you mean they reserve 4 amps? What do they need it for?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTek View Post
    New Spiel going on at Calpop. A full cab is only 20 amps, you can't get any more power, and they reserve 4 amps. So basically your looking at 16amps for a full cab. Basically the reason for the new rules is to get the connectivity issues at Calpop taken care of. I may not agree with everything going on. But its a start in a better direction than what has been going on with Calpop over the years.

they dont actually reserve 4amps. electrical code states and requires that a power circuit operate at 80% usage, thus a 20A circuit only yields 16A of usable power.
    that is standard everywhere as its code and law
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

no idea, something about the building requires it. When we had the huge power issue the other day, the building engineers mentioned it.

Signs I have no life,(but want to better myself) I am doing the free Juniper E-learning classes.
    Geek

Misdivision *might* work for you.

Ok, so I am bad at wording things, but yes hes correct.
    Geek

If you're worried about power limitations...San Diego is an attractive option. Complex Drive lets you do 120A per cabinet, and they have the cooling to keep up with it.

Since our move out of Los Angeles (one wilshire), we'll never look back.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    If you're worried about power limitations...San Diego is an attractive option. Complex Drive lets you do 120A per cabinet, and they have the cooling to keep up with it.

Since our move out of Los Angeles (one wilshire), we'll never look back.
    But isn't bandwidth more expensive in San Diego versus Los Angeles? Have you found that the power is cheaper in San Diego? Maybe the utility there has better pricing for datacenters. Basically in your case the lower power costs kind of makes up for the higher bandwidth costs? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
    DatacenterHardware.com
    Remote Power Switch / Switched PDU

Bandwidth is our primary product as a CDN/streaming provider so if the bandwidth was too expensive, we never would have moved.

Bandwidth pricing is not more expensive, but choices are a more limited unless you go over dark fiber. However between Cogent, XO, Level3, ATT, Cox all lit in the building, we are able to keep bandwidth costs in-line with LAX for budget and premium blends.
    Last edited by FastServ; 05-01-2008 at 04:33 PM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by RobinWrit View Post
    We've got one server in the facility atm and haven't had any issues.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinWrit View Post
    may want to read this review about Misdivision before you even think about them

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=Misdivision

you know at the cost of power, you would think that buildings would consider solar panels or mini windmills on the roof of their buildings. May not produce a lot of energy, but every little bit helps.
    Geek