What should I get?

Okay here's the deal, we've got 1 wall jack to plug into (10/100) and need to hook up 3 computers to this 1 jack.

Do I get:

Switch
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?sku=B20-7060

Hub
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...S199-1022%20Pa

Thanks in advance.

Switch by all means. Pay the extra buck and the collision rate will be drastically reduced to almost zero. Personally, I've discontinued purchasing hubs.. Hubs were a thing of the 90's. Hubs also offer half-duplex as switch's offer FULL duplex (great for heavy traffic). Hope this helps.

or you could get a router which wouldb e even better but a switch would work also. just depends how much money you want to spend. personally im a dlink fan.....
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

well, personally, i have a problem with combo router/switch packages. If one goes down, so does the other and it's harder to diagnosis. I may be no genuious, but that's my $.02

Originally posted by ecpHosting
    Switch by all means. Pay the extra buck and the collision rate will be drastically reduced to almost zero. Personally, I've discontinued purchasing hubs.. Hubs were a thing of the 90's. Hubs also offer half-duplex as switch's offer FULL duplex (great for heavy traffic). Hope this helps.
    FYI: If you read the RFCs, they're both hubs. One is a switched hub; one is just a hub. Or even class I and class II repeaters. (If my memory serves me right.)
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Depends if the money matters to you or not. Switches are nicer if you're moving chunks of bursty data. if you're talking about just a couple of packets here and there, and you're on a budget, get a hub.

I still say switch, though. =)

George
    Last edited by tilted; 08-22-2002 at 10:22 PM.
    George Vuckovic - CEO & President, Tilted Planet, Ltd.
    Dedicated Servers, Dedicated Service, Definitely Tilted.
    Celebrating 16 years of top-notch hosting and innovation!
    Visit our 13 year old, obviously ancient site at TILTED.COM

bitserve you're missing the point.

A switch is not just a hub. It's like saying a walkie talkie and a phone are the same thing. NO. The phone is full duplex and the walkie talkie is half duplex (yes, i know some models are full, just follow my example). A Walkie Talkie (hub) will only allow you to send one flow packet of data stream at a time. Suppose Computer A and B are exchanging files with a server C. Suppose A & B need to send files to the server (C) at the same time. A cannot send a data stream to C at the same time B needs to send info to C. It has to take turns. So sparatically within milliseconds of time, it swaps transfer between A and B with C (so it seems both are sending a similtaneous transmission). It really is only allowing one transmission at a time. DANGEROUS because collisions are happening at a high rate (watch the collision light) and makes the data transfer slow (and can cause corrupt date 0.5% of the time). After a certain window of time, the hub dies (far shorter than the length of a switch).

NOW, a switch. Someone took apart the hub and saw the lazy design and decided to virtually eliminate the half-duplex transmission (like that in a walkie talkie) and make it full-duplex. Which means data is organized in certain streams that CAN occur simultaneously and handle more stress than that of a hub. It's like the Hub v2.0

Want me to break out some numbers?
    Ok, imagine a 5 port HUB and 5 port SWITCH with a 100mbps connection to the internet. On a HUB, all of the 5 users will only get 10mbps REGARDLESS of who is using the internet connection (because it just divides the stream to each flow). A switch will take that 100mbps connection and divide it fully to each outlet SWITCHING to see who needs it the most (where the term 'switch' comes from). Basically like an operator feeling out who needs what when every millisecond. SO each port in that 5 user gets 100Mbps (i kid you not).

So yes, they are both hubs. But do the math.

Oh, and BTW, I'm assuming since you mention a wall jack that this is for residential or office use, not for servers. If you're doing servers off of a wall jack, definitely go for a switch.

George
    George Vuckovic - CEO & President, Tilted Planet, Ltd.
    Dedicated Servers, Dedicated Service, Definitely Tilted.
    Celebrating 16 years of top-notch hosting and innovation!
    Visit our 13 year old, obviously ancient site at TILTED.COM

well said ecphosting.. i learned a thing or two from that

thank you calibur. thank you. I used to be a Network tech and this kind of thing was just nonsense to see when i would go to a site with many problems, and track it down to hundreds of different problems.. but one of the few being a hub in place where a switch ought to be. LaDeDA.

it's all good! live and learn!

Originally posted by ecpHosting
    bitserve you're missing the point.

A switch is not just a hub. (snip)
    You missed my point. Where I went to school, we were taught that packet switches were just switched hubs, so I found it funny that you were suggesting that hubs and switches were different things and I thought that I would make light of it. Tomato, tomato.

I wasn't offering any recommendations or disagreeing with any. If we're talking about ethernet, I agree that when used to add more transceivers to a network, there are benefits of switched hubs by allowing more collision domains and full duplex between multiple transceivers on fast ethernet.

Non-switched hubs still have uses as repeaters for extending cable length due to attentuation, or for connecting two segments that use different signalling techniques.

Collisions are not inherently bad and they do not cause corrupt data. Definitely not .5% of the time. Rescheduled transmissions due to collision detection do not corrupt data. Late collisions should not happen on a properly wired network. Most times, carrier sensing will stop any collision from even occuring.

I always thought they were called switches because they had switches in them.

A hub is actually not dividing the 100Mbs connection among the 5 hosts. It is connecting them all into one collision domain. Unless your hub is only a 10Mbs hub, the users would be able to talk to each other and the Internet connection at 100Mbs if they had 100Mbs NICs and proper media. They would just need to share the same collision domain when doing it. Unless your Internet connection had more than one transceiver, a switch is actually not going to speed up the hosts sharing of it, <i>unless</i>, you also have some host to host traffic on your network. In that case, host A and B could be talking to eachother at the same time that host C is talking to the Internet connection, which otherwise would not be possible with a regular hub.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

If you buy a 99.00 router/yes with problems.
    I have used Asanté's products for years, including their switches.
    Just like web hosting/pay cheap/get cheap................

people use to buy hubs because they were much cheaper then switches, now switches cost almost the same there shouldn't be any problems.