Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Multiple domain hosing

If I want to host multiple domains on one account, do I need to buy a reseller instead of a shared hosting account?

It is possible to host multiple domains under some non-reseller accounts. Cpanel just added this feature about a month ago. I believe it was also already available with hsphere. Your best bet is to just ask your perspective web hosting provider.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Thank you for the information

Yes, it is possible to host multiple domains without a reseller account. Enfact a lot of people look for this service as they don't require a lot of the features of a reseller account such as personal name servers or unlimited domains, which without, helps bring the price down a lot. If you do a search around the forums you will be able to locate such companies

Pagezone has many plans holding multiple domains. It seems to become more and more common these days. Still, if you have A LOT of domains, a reseller account offers more for less. You still don't have to become a reseller...
    Stephen's Independent Hosting Provider Review
    http://hostingreview.rahn.net

hi,
    being inexperienced, maybe i shouldn't chime in but i have read a lot of posts about reseller accounts and multi-domain accounts and if i'm understanding this whole thing correctly, you actually have more control over each domain if you use a reseller account.

but i always reserve the right to be wrong
    "If you come to a fork in the road...take it"

Yogi Berra

gtrplayer, yes... you do have more control with a reseller account (and this is coming from a host who currently does not offer such plans YET). WHY? Because with most reseller accounts you get an account manager that allows you to create, set sizes, of new accounts and such within your alloted space. AS with a typical package you just give the host a heads up about your new domain and they'll set it up for you within a reasonable amount of time.
    Last edited by Chicken; 08-22-2002 at 12:09 PM.

Re: Multiple domain hosing

Originally posted by CrazyPixie
    If I want to host multiple domains on one account, do I need to buy a reseller instead of a shared hosting account?
    Hello,

Dear friend.... Some hosting companies are offering virtual hosing accounts, which allow you to host multiple domains under an account. It's not really necessary to get a reseller account if you just want to host 2-3 domains.

Have a look at request forum and you'll find plenty of good web hosting providers, which will offer you the package which meets your needs.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Originally posted by ecpHosting
    hey.... i dont know if i should tell you that... but we provide such plans standard.. and i believe others do too.. check some out!
    Yeah, you are not suppose to. If you are in doubt, why not read the rules. I think they are pretty self-explanitory.

my apologies.. im new to the boards too... I'll check em out now.. thanks for the heads up

Last edited by GatorDoc; 08-22-2002 at 12:29 PM.

a lot of companies that use Plesk offer this since its so easy to allow users to control multiple domains with the Plesk control panel. I personally am very impressed with how Plesk has worked in this regard.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

bwb, i agree.. i like plesk!

I've found that "reseller account", "unlimited domains", or "multiple domains" aren't any type of standard. It's hard to even generalize what these mean from host to host.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Originally posted by dandanfirema
    It is possible to host multiple domains under some non-reseller accounts. Cpanel just added this feature about a month ago. I believe it was also already available with hsphere. Your best bet is to just ask your perspective web hosting provider.
    That's just domain pointing to your subdomain. If that's all you want, then it'll do just fine. If you want more [unique control panel, email for each domain] then you really need some kind of reseller type plan where you can setup domains that have unique features like control panels, emails etc..
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by bitserve
    I've found that "reseller account", "unlimited domains", or "multiple domains" aren't any type of standard. It's hard to even generalize what these mean from host to host.
    To be a "standard" there'd have to be a governing body that would specify the "standard". However, those are just marketing terms and each host is free to use them to describe what they offer etc. IMO, for most cases, they mean pretty much the same thing.

Although, god forbid anyone ever trademark or think they can trademark the term "unlimited domains" too.
    Last edited by Aussie Bob; 08-22-2002 at 09:20 PM.

just to clarify again, by having multiple domain in normal web hosting plan, we are not able to have email accounts for each of the domains??

if only pointing to subdomain, is that means other URL need to do cloaking or url binding to the subdomain?

thanks
    Affordable Web Hosting @ www.qoolhost.com

no no.. multiple domain support means that you should be able to get your own control panel, email, sql databases, etc... (like a new account)

i didnt understand your 2nd question.. please clarify

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Although, god forbid anyone ever trademark or think they can trademark the term "unlimited domains" too.
    I was looking at MCHOST.COM and it looks they may have already trademarked the phrase "Host Unlimited Domains".

Maybe it's just a fancy image for looks or something.

I wonder if they really did get the phrase trademarked.

Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.

I don’t think you can trademark the phrase ‘Host Unlimited Domains’, looks like MCHOST have though

Yeah they did trademark "Host Unlimited Domains" and also "Private Label Reseller", Marc confirmed it, in 25 countries I believe

Originally posted by rochen
    Yeah they did trademark "Host Unlimited Domains" and also "Private Label Reseller", Marc confirmed it, in 25 countries I believe
    Interesting......

Originally posted by imitech
    I don’t think you can trademark the phrase ‘Host Unlimited Domains’, looks like MCHOST have though
    You can try to trademark it. In this case, it's far from a done deal. Even if some brain dead government department gives you that kind of generic trademark that the whole reselling industry uses [before mchost started using it - Marc did not dream up that phrase and he was not the first one to ever use it], enforcing it in all the countries where you have registered it will be next to impossible.

This is not the thread to dicuss such matters....

Originally posted by rochen
    Trademarking and and recieving a Registered Trademark are two separate things. Also, having a Trademark and enforcing it are two separate things. There is a saying with TMs. "Don't TM unless you are ready to enforce it". He will have an uphill battle.

1) "Host Unlimited Domains" has been used by us in print since 1999. We go tthe term from our colo provider. They used it in 1998. So when we get confronted, we show prior use.

Also, do a search at Google for this Term.

2) "Private Label Reseller". Do a search for the Term also. Oh Yeah. You will see a company called Hostway. Yeah, they have been using it for years. Long before MCHost has been around.

There will never be anyway to enforce these TMs. Hence, it was a waste of money to register them. (If he even did).

I think he registered them more for protection so people couldn't enforce them against him, as oppose to them enforcing it on others. I don't believe they plan to do that and as you point out, it would be difficult. But best leave it up to Marc to discuss this...

I thought that this thread was about Multiple Domain Hosting and not about MCHost's trademarks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast