Advice needed for choosing a webhost

Hi there,
    I'm a relative newbie and need advice on choosing a web host for the first time...

I've been to several sites but the list of features is overwhelming. How do you choose what's best and what sorts of features you should go with? Where do you start?

For instance everyone talks about Cpanel, but some sites provide Hsphere(I think?) - is that the same thing? Others say that you need Cpanel for every site on an unlimited domain option - why?

What features should be part of the package as a bare minimum?

Which web hosts would you suggest I look at?

Your help is appreciated...
    Regards

Greg

cPanel is the must supported control panel by web host and also the easiest to be used.
    What is your budget and what type of website are you going to have?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

The budget is +- $12/month. Mostly looking at hosting affiliate offers right now, then onto a blog and review sites....

I see.
    Since you are going to host a blog, take note that it may be resource intensive.
    As such, you have to read the TOS of all the host that you are considering to check their limits on cpu and ram resource usage as most host tends to limit you that way.
    Your budget is quite ok. Remember that your host needs to allow you to have add-on domains as well.

Ok - so what sort of resources should I be looking at in terms of cpu and ram usage?

There is a fair and simple way

I enjoy cPanel myself. You should try several interfaces along the way to see what suits you best. Good luck.

Hello,

I think that with your budget you can find a decent hosting provider that will provide you with a lot of space and bandwidth so that your website can have all the room to grow in as your content and visitors increase. Regarding CPU and RAM usage, most web hosting providers allow you to use 5-15% of their shared resources for 2-3 seconds or not more than 10% at a time. It will be enough for your start up website and if you have the luck to have a website that will go over these limits this means that it will have become very popular and probably you will have the resources to think of a better solution like a VPS or dedicated server.

Good Luck!

From my original post:
    What features should be part of the package as a bare minimum?

Which web hosts would you suggest I look at?

Your help is appreciated...
    Regards

Greg

You can prob start on most starter packages that hosts here offer you. Once you start growing larger, just upgrade the accounts accordingly.

If you visit the offers section, you'll find pretty good deals. Try to find a company you like and research it. A little research here will help you from the headaches later down the line when your hosts just disappears.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Thanks for all the replies...I have decided to go with Hostmonster...

Regards

Greg

I hope you best of luck.

Respectfully,
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Have you checked their reviews?
    Always remember that you will get what you paid for.

Good choice. Best of luck with everything!
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

Good luck with your choice.