A friend of mine needs a reccomendation for hosting

Right now his website uses around 25GB per month of bandwidth and has only been open about 1-2 months. This is a phpBB 3.0 forum with around 7000 members (most active) and grows every week by another hundred members or so.

Right now I am hosting him on my dreamhost account, but he wants to set himself up on his own host. I agree with him since dreamhost is having a lot of mySQL database connection errors that last a long time a few times a month and he needs to be up and running 24/7 for his visitors.

He would like a host that can easily support this bandwidth (is 100-200 GB per month a good estimate taking into account expansion? also he is going to open up two new sites that would be equally as popular most likely) And he also wants the host to allow for future upgrades to bandwidth and/or storage.

Storage is not a huge issue for him. he isn't hosting any crazy media. Just a 2 cms installs and 2 forum installs. so 20 - 30 GB would probably be good right?

reliability and performance of the host should be a little better than dreamhost's since this shouldn't be an overseller type host right?

also good service is a must have.

His budget is on the low side too lol : P

thanks.

Sounds like a good sized reseller account would do the trick, so people can make reccomendtions how low is low as regards his budget ?

You have the best place here to find a host you need and I'm sure if you can give a more specific figure you can find a host for your friend.

Good luck and let us know how he gets on.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

i'm guessing around 10 a month. pretty low

From the information you have given may I suggest you get your friend to check out Host Gator
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato

he's not too interested in an overseller like account

he just updated sayin around 20 dollars a month

are you sure he needs 20-30GB disk space? just for 2 cms and forums installed without media?

Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    are you sure he needs 20-30GB disk space? just for 2 cms and forums installed without media?
    I kinda figured he didn't, but just in case you know. 5-10GB would most likely be fine as long as expansion was doable

Its a small budget, but its enough to start and as you say if he finds a company that allows for expansion it shouldn't be a problem.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

is Host Monster a good site?

he's not too interested in an overseller like account
    He's after 25Gb space with 200GB data transfer for $10/month. He's still well within the realm of overselling, even if it may not seem so after reducing his requirements by a factor of 20. If he'll reduce them further by at a factor of 10, he might find the so called "non-oversold" hosting. Perceptions can be easily skewed in today's hosting world.

Alright I'm the guy Mecha's talking about, the problem being that if my new site becomes popular, im going to need alot more than just 20 GB, so I need a site that's good as starter, but then has many upgrade options.

For $20/mo. you might be able to find what you are looking for. Honestly, I'd try to grab a list from the offers section here and do some research.

You'll have to take note thought that most companies are oversold and if they are not, they're going to need more than $20/mo. for your requirements.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Thank you for the response, just one question then, where is the offers section? and do you have any recommendations for me?

Here you go: Web Hosting Offers

My recommendation would be to give Host Gator a go, they are very good and should you not like them they have a 45 day money back guarantee

I see. Finally, is it okay if I go for their Hosting? Because I'm confused about it, as they say they have linux hosting and an upcoming windows web hosting?? What's the difference between the two?

Linux hosting is the way to go in my opinion unless you have a web site that specifically needs what a windows hosting account would offer.

From what your friend described in his initial post about your needs then I would suggest Linux hosting

Most companies run Linux servers. Its just the type of operating system. Personally, I prefer Linux over Windows because of its flexibility and cost effectiveness.

If you visit the offers section, there are a lot of specials going on for spring.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthebest22 View Post
    Thank you for the response, just one question then, where is the offers section? and do you have any recommendations for me?
    Web hosting offers ---> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Search shared hosting offers (if you have one domain) or reseller hosting offers (if you have more than one domain). Don't let "reseller" scare you, you DO NOT have to sell anything. A reseller account allows you to host multiple domains using 1 web hosting account. You could host your websites, friends, family or even charge people for web hosting. If you hosted 4 websites charging people $5/mo that would pay for your own hosting costs - just something to consider.

Last but not least carefully research the web hosts you're considering. How new are they? Search for reviews? Is it run by a 16 year old "CEO" and will it be out of business if their parents ground him/her? Ask questions and go with your gut feeling. Last but not least, if it's good to be true then it must be.

alright well thank you guys, I've decided to go with downtownhost, since it has like the best reviews from you guys here.

Your welcome

Glad to hear you have got your hosting sorted, please come back and lets us know how you get on.

Wishing you every success for your project.

Regards, Keith

Good luck with your project.
    This place is just filled with the resources your need so feel free to drop by.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthebest22 View Post
    alright well thank you guys, I've decided to go with downtownhost, since it has like the best reviews from you guys here.
    Hopefully you checked the hosting offers forum? I believe they have a 25% off coupon but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    Hopefully you checked the hosting offers forum? I believe they have a 25% off coupon but I could be wrong.
    yeah I showed it to him. thanks.

me personally I'm on dreamhost and mysql database errors are starting to annoy the hell out of me. they are lasting for half a day to a full day a few times a month...so hopefully this issue will help me too : ]

thank you guys.
    this is probably the most helpful forum I've ever been a member of by the way lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha View Post
    yeah I showed it to him. thanks.

me personally I'm on dreamhost and mysql database errors are starting to annoy the hell out of me. they are lasting for half a day to a full day a few times a month...so hopefully this issue will help me too : ]

thank you guys.
    this is probably the most helpful forum I've ever been a member of by the way lol
    Databases usually crash or time out when theres a higher load on the server.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.

I don't think your going to get what you want

I don't think you can get what you want for so little and beware of whoever says they can give you this as your going to be having lots of problems with downtime.
    Cpwebhosting.net where the customer is first
    Great Affiliate Program Call 321-205-9003
    Earn on CPA up to $100.00 on Shared Hosting

All you have to do is search WHT for best recommendations. So far downtownhost.com has the best reviews. They are not oversellers and they have great support and responsive staff.