Raptor versus Seagate SATA-II

How much faster is a Raptor 74GB 10,000rpm compared to a Seagate 250GB SATA-II 7200rpm? Both are priced the same. I'm comtemplating on which one to use for a database..go for more storage or a faster drive. I need some pointers.

Well, the raptor will yield more I/O for a database, so unless you really need the space I'd go for a raptor.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

To be honest with you, Raptors are not that special against modern disks now i.e Seagate 7200.11's.

At the price point I would take a few larger disks and stick them in RAID, as you've then got the added benefits of performance and resiliency.

RAID costs too much, $50 for the card plus additional drives. That's not an option for me.

PS Why does the new Raptor 300GB still use SATA, isn't it better to use SATA-II ?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Produ...riveID=459&t=1

In my experience SATA-II doesn't seem a whole lot better than SATA. It comes down to what you want - my personal preferences would be on the 250GB Seagate. If you anticipate filling up more than 74GB on a drive, go with the Seagate.

I'm leaning towards the Raptor for now, wonder why they don't have a 15K rpm version after so many years...

Don't you have the option of SCSI or SAS?
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Quote Originally Posted by HD Fanatic View Post
    How much faster is a Raptor 74GB 10,000rpm compared to a Seagate 250GB SATA-II 7200rpm? Both are priced the same. I'm comtemplating on which one to use for a database..go for more storage or a faster drive. I need some pointers.
    I would go for the raptor.. unless you have extremely large databases.

I'd wait and see if you can get the new velociraptor coming out in May I believe. The current raptor models are no longer top notch.

3Gbs is more than enough for mechanical drives.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 04-28-2008 at 05:01 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?