GIG-E Ethernet Swtich

Hello,

What low-cost Gigabit Ethernet switch would you recommend for providing residential IP services to an apartment complex that is already prewired for copper Ethernet? My only real requirement is that is it a managed switch supporting QoS, capping, and has fiber uplinks.

Thank you,
    Kyle

KTI networks has gigabit switches that fall more in the "low-end" segment, but I don't know about prices in your area. What's the available budget?

If you really need a managed switch you already fall in a higher price class. Try searching "web-managed" switches. These are a blend between unmanaged and managed, are usually missing a physical console/telnet or ssh and have no SNMP.

3com is a nice option and is not expensive.

Can probably find an HP switch to meet your needs. The only brands I trust as far as switches are Cisco, Foundry, Extreme, and HP.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLC23 View Post
    Hello,

What low-cost Gigabit Ethernet switch would you recommend for providing residential IP services to an apartment complex that is already prewired for copper Ethernet? My only real requirement is that is it a managed switch supporting QoS, capping, and has fiber uplinks.
    As Karl said, HP should be a good option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833316089

Are you sure you need gigabit? Dropping it down to 100 would save some cash.
    Anthony M. Faoro II - tmf [at] adtaq.com - (425) 444-8787 ex 7000
    Seattle Colocation @ Adtaq Internet | Seattle, WA | Be Happy!
    AIM TonyAdtaq | GTalk tmf [at] adtaq.com

Are these different tenants on the same switch?

I've set up networks like this before and you need to be VERY aware of what is connected to the switch and how it's configured, an unmanaged switch simply will not suffice, even the low end HP switches don't have the features you need. If your tenants are in individual VLAN's that's great, if they aren't you need to be able to restrict number of MAC's per port, etc.

HP's switches do a good job but if you want really granular control Cisco is probably your only option.

Dan

For your usage and requirements, I second the HP recommendation. Their switches are very reliable, and also have redundant power, etc. options. As far as features, even their cheaper edge switches have a very nice feature set.

Even though D-Link and Netgear offer "managed" switches, I would stay away from them if your budget allows. You wont be sorry paying a little more.
    Frank Wilson | Chief Engineer
    SimpleCDN Technologies, Inc.
    http://www.simpleCDN.com
    800.269.3033 ext 704

I have Netgear FSM725 "Layer 3" switches and they blow bad. The IP management interface craps out every few weeks, lots of half implemented features, definitely low end stuff. The 3com superstacks and HPs are good, and Dell Powerconnects are passable.

If your not doing anything to crazy, then an HP procurve 24xx series will work

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLC23 View Post
    Hello,

Thank you,
    Kyle
    If you don't need GigE on every port, a Cisco 3550-48-EMI would be my choice. They are readily available on eBay for $500-$1,000 and will take fiber or copper-based GigE uplinks. If GigE on every port is a requirement, a bunch of 3550-12T's would also work.

That said, if the 3550's are out of your budget, then the old Foundry FWS24+1G or +2G's would probably suffice as well (around $50-$100/ea on eBay). They are available with redundant A/C power as well which is a nice bonus.
    Last edited by tulsaconnect; 04-29-2008 at 11:56 PM.