* Which camcorder?

So I'm looking to get a camcorder (have always wanted one but never really looked into it). What camcorder are you using? Which one do you highly recommend?!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Thumbs up sony brand

I use Sony HDR-HC3 with Sony HDV 63 min tapes. It's small HD camcorder with Carl Zeiss lens.
    We shoot movies almost every weekend and what can I say... picture is superb on hdtv and even on notebook (with hd connection), battery life is perfect, tape is reliable (no frame drops).
    WestNIC web hosting reseller hosting dedicated servers in USA and Germany
    Reliable reseller hosting services since 2002

I use the Canon Vixia HV20, now replaced by the HV30.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-32786397.html
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

whatever you do dont get one with the tiny dvd type of media it sucks go for a harddrive i wish i did,

For camcorder, always go with a Sony Handycam.
    No other brands can match it.

You need to see what you want.
    There are three types:-
    - MiniDV (tape)
    - DVD
    - Hard Disk

If you want convenience and get to play back after shooting, get a DVDcam.

If you want to easily transfer the video to computer, go for a HDDcam.

If you want to have the best picture quality (but the most hassle), go for MiniDV.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Skip miniDV.
    Skip miniDVD

Go with HDD.

I don't actually have one, but I've recently been hearing a lot of good things about the Flip Video. http://www.theflip.com/
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post
    So I'm looking to get a camcorder (have always wanted one but never really looked into it). What camcorder are you using? Which one do you highly recommend?!
    How much do you want to spend?

HDD's are great if you get the better model(s), do NOT go for the low end. They have very small sensors which do not pick up light very well, resulting in a dark grainy picture.

If you want your best true to life color I recommend Panasonic, any of them with the 3CCD sensor, that basically means that there is a different CCD (image processor) for each of your 3 primary colors. They are all (or mostly) miniDV, which is not a bad option, however you will only get 60-90 minutes per tape, which isnt a huge issue, because your battery (the one that comes with it at least) probably wont even last that long, or much longer than that (depending on if you use a light, or the LCD screen thats on it vs the viewfinder).

I do not recommend Sony handycams unless you are going into the upper price ranges ($500+). I have had many problems with them, and when I worked for a large retailer, we had more issues with Sony and JVC (not the HDD's quite as much, but mainly their low end) than any other manufacturer.

Some people prefer Canon, however I have never noticed anything very remarkable about their camcorders (though they have excellent SLR cameras).

MiniDVD=Waste of money
    MiniDV=Not a bad option, they are reusable as well
    HDD=Probably the best choice, but you will pay much much more (2X at least) for the same quality as a miniDV

Hope this helps!

~Ryan
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Ryan, I'm looking at $5-600, no more ; not for a camera at least. I'm just looking to shoot some scenery and don't need anything crazy.

The type of cam doesn't really matter for me. As for battery I could always stock up on a few as well as tapes. I really like the idea of the HDD cam and most of the cams with this feature, the battery lasts at least 3 hours.

I am really a fan of spending my money's worth though the HDD cams seems to be the best option in terms of convenience.
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie View Post
    I don't actually have one, but I've recently been hearing a lot of good things about the Flip Video. http://www.theflip.com/
    Me too. The price is definitely decent but I'm really doubtful as to how quality is.

The Canon ZR850 for $182 with free shipping is a good deal for an entry level camcorder. Here is an indepth review of this old but popular camcorder.

If you're willing to wait for a Hot Deal, you might be able to score the Canon HV20 for around $600.

I have a Canon ZR80, realy really old but it does the job. All of my cameras/camcorders have always been Canon and they have yet to let me down.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan View Post
    Me too. The price is definitely decent but I'm really doubtful as to how quality is.
    John Chow has been recording a lot of videos with it and posting them on his blog. Here are a couple videos that were recorded using the Flip: http://www.johnchow.com/did-the-cors...ivor-survived/ and http://www.johnchow.com/dot-com-pho-4262008/ It looks pretty good quality to me.
    - Jamie Harrop

Hmm looks promising. I am going to check out vistek in downtown Toronto and physically take a look at a few I saw on the website.

Thanks for all your help!

The HV20 (Now HV30) is supposed to be awesome if you are looking to get into HD. It's under $1k ($899 newegg last I saw).