Thumbs up VolumeDrive - 1 Month Review

I have been with VolumeDrive (http://www.volumedrive.com/) for little over 1 month now. We currently have 1 dedicated server with them, and here follows my experience with them so far.

Presales - 10/10
    I had a short list of presales questions set aside for a number of different companies that we were looking at, I sent the exact same list of questions to about half a dozen different companies. Some of the replies I got were unhelpful, blunt, rude and some I didn't get a reply to full stop. VolumeDrive however, answered every single 1 of my questions politely, and within about 4 minutes. What followed next was an hour of back and forth emails, discussing prices, setups and configurations. We were extremely happy with the service, and signed up that same day.

Setup - 10/10
    The setup time on the server was done within 24 hours, so I have no real complaints here. I got exactly what I ordered, and with no issues.

Uptime - 10/10
    This has been flawless, the only downtime I've had lasted no time at all and was during the planned move to their new datacentre.

Network - 10/10
    As some will know, VolumeDrive had a lot of problems their network that has been discussed here quite a bit. I am in the UK right now, and originally my download speeds from the server would vary from around 400Kb/s on a good day to around 40Kb/s on a bad day (from my 8Mb home connection). VD did work a good bit to try and help me here, but ultimately there wasn't a whole lot that could be done. However, since they moved into their new DC, I've been getting capped out speeds and a friend of mine has reported 2.10Mb/s on his 20Mb connection. As such, the above score is based on the current network.

Support - 10/10
    Any emails I've sent to support have been answered within 15 minutes, very impressive response times and very polite and professional. Whether is 9am, 6PM, or 3am, I've never had to wait for replies to emails.

Performance - 10/10
    What can I say, I have had no problems at all with the server performance. It performs to the spec that I ordered, and everything runs perfectly.

What else can I say except fantastic! Aside from the initial network issues, which were worked with closely between myself and VD, and which are now completely resolved, I have no complaints at all. I highly recommend this company.

The only drawback I can think of here is the fact that their prices on the website aren't very up to date, and they had to send me a price list via email to see all the available options.

They also don't have any automated billing system yet, so invoices and the like are done manually, although this isn't really an issue and I've been told they are constructing their billing system right now. You also have to keep track of your own bandwidth usage if you chose the 100Mbit port with the 3000GB limit, but this is fairly trivial and not much of an issue.

I'll sent my main domain to moderators to verify my review.

Any questions, ask away, I'll be happy to answer.

Cheers,
    Daniel.

Very nice review, very well deserved
    Marie - Co-Owner
    Need Further Assistance ? Here you go !
    English, french and spanish support

Danny_G thank you for submitting your domain. Consider your review verified

great to see another good review.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Danny_G,

Thank you for the kind remarks and the insightful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post

Network - 10/10
    As some will know, VolumeDrive had a lot of problems their network that has been discussed here quite a bit. I am in the UK right now, and originally my download speeds from the server would vary from around 400Kb/s on a good day to around 40Kb/s on a bad day (from my 8Mb home connection). VD did work a good bit to try and help me here, but ultimately there wasn't a whole lot that could be done. However, since they moved into their new DC, I've been getting capped out speeds and a friend of mine has reported 2.10Mb/s on his 20Mb connection. As such, the above score is based on the current network.

We are glad to see the new facility is working well for you. I'll be sure to leave word with the rest of the team as they have put long hours and careful planning to make sure it runs 100%.

Performance - 10/10
    What can I say, I have had no problems at all with the server performance. It performs to the spec that I ordered, and everything runs perfectly.

What else can I say except fantastic! Aside from the initial network issues, which were worked with closely between myself and VD, and which are now completely resolved, I have no complaints at all. I highly recommend this company.

The only drawback I can think of here is the fact that their prices on the website aren't very up to date, and they had to send me a price list via email to see all the available options.

They also don't have any automated billing system yet, so invoices and the like are done manually, although this isn't really an issue and I've been told they are constructing their billing system right now. You also have to keep track of your own bandwidth usage if you chose the 100Mbit port with the 3000GB limit, but this is fairly trivial and not much of an issue.
    Good point. We have been focusing primarily on the migration and general support, so our latest offers and servers specials have not made it on to the site yet... This will be updated shortly, along with the new billing system that is being developed in-house currently.

It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you, and we look forward to delivering great service for a long time to come!
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Good work Josh, great to see you guys are still top notch!

I think the only negative thing there is to say about VD is there website. Its a bit out dated and could use a good redesign in my opinion. Its hard to see a company like them with their very own DC but with a $100 website. I love VD and they do a great job but their website could use a touch up.

Quote Originally Posted by hostatree View Post
    I think the only negative thing there is to say about VD is there website. Its a bit out dated and could use a good redesign in my opinion. Its hard to see a company like them with their very own DC but with a $100 website. I love VD and they do a great job but their website could use a touch up.
    Don't judge a book by its cover is all I can say.

There are companies out there with $xxxx XHTML Strict websites, but can't provide an ounce of customer service. I would rather have a great level of service and a crappy website (not saying VD's is crappy ), than the other way around.

Currently our focus is more on the client portal and billing. But nonetheless it's time for a site update, thanks for the heads up.

Don't judge a book by its cover is all I can say.

There are companies out there with $xxxx XHTML Strict websites, but can't provide an ounce of customer service. I would rather have a great level of service and a crappy website (not saying VD's is crappy ), than the other way around.
    I totally agree with you. VD offers great service, but why not give that book a new cover so it stands out from all the other books? They have the great service, and with a great website they could be even better.

I am going to have to agree.

If they spent hundreds or even thousands more getting a better site, they might not have the funds to further move forward to offering other or even better services.

I very much enjoy the services I get from them, and think they could use their earnings to invest it several other things before they worry about their site. Not to mention, they probably deserve better compensation themselves for what they offer.

All I would say would be to update the website prices to show the current available server configurations, and that would be good.

At the end of the day I don't think its a bad site.

Anyway, what gave me my first impression of VD wasn't their website, it was the 4 minutes it took them to respond to my presales email

Well to put this into a better perspective, if I went to VD's website and didnt know a thing about them or the great service they offer I would most likely not even bother investing time to find out more about them. My impression is if a company doesn't care enough to have a decent looking and functional website then how do you think they run their business? Its all about the presentation at first glance.

Well to put this into a better perspective, if I went to VD's website and didnt know a thing about them or the great service they offer I would most likely not even bother investing time to find out more about them. My impression is if a company doesn't care enough to have a decent looking and functional website then how do you think they run their business? Its all about the presentation at first glance.
    True, and one of areas we have been slacking on is the offers. We usually release weekly specials or new lines and lack the time to update the website or ordering system as most of our clients have been aware of. We are going to be placing some effort into getting this taken care of, but at the end of the day, support, the customer portal, and service come first.

I agree, I just wanted to see what others had to say about the website. Its not bad, but I know if they put as much effort into their website as they do their service that their website would look amazing. Anyways, keep up the great work VD!

This is also true.

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    True, and one of areas we have been slacking on is the offers. We usually release weekly specials or new lines and lack the time to update the website or ordering system as most of our clients have been aware of. We are going to be placing some effort into getting this taken care of, but at the end of the day, support, the customer portal, and service come first.
    Good to know that the customer is priority, it's a shame that not all companies have this attitude. A lot are more interested in tying in new customers than looking after their current ones.

The website could use a little updating. Does anyone know when the customer portal will be available?

We will be launching the new customer portal shortly and is in development.