Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1

    VERY VERY VERY reliable - Webhost needed

    Hello, I’m looking for a reliable hosting company with very good tech support. I am starting a small business ecommerce website and want it to be VERY VERY VERY reliable. I don’t just want a 99.99 guarantee, if there is, something like a fee the webhosting will pay me if the service is down (if possible).
    I also don’t want to see any “This webhosting company shut of my site because it used X% of cpu” or “this webhosting shut my site because I used all of the bandwidth I paid for” when I search “(hosting company name) sucks” on google
    Budget: $1 - $45 per month
    Location: Chicago if possible but must be in the USA
    Requirement: Right now I have 1and1, they have a 100MB Mysql limit. I need a no limit Mysql, (however there would be a space limit)

    EST:
    Space: 1 Gig per month
    bandwith:1-5 Gig per month
    with the option to expand if the business grows

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    314
    For that sort of price (and spec), you would be most likely be looking at a shared service provider to start with, then most likely move onto a budget dedicated server if not an "enterprise" dedicated server.

    In my honest opinion, although companies offer a 99.99% uptime on shared hosting accounts, I don't think anyone would offer you "money-back" - mainly because if any software update / or security patch / update requires a server restart, and an fsck occurs, there will definitely be some expected site downtime which can range from 10 - 30 mins ... however, having said that, it would not generally have any negative effects.
    If you are looking for ALL the assurance of 100% uptime, etc. - then the best route would be to go for a dedicated server (which you can control the downtime on to an extent anyway).

    Hope that helps you make an informed decision.

    All the best.
    Intellitech I.T. Solutions Ltd.
    Intellitech Hosting - Dedicated Servers in Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, Washington, Seattle (USA), London (UK) & EU
    Server Load Balancing, Hardware Firewalls, MPLS Connectivity

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by intellitech View Post
    For that sort of price (and spec), you would be most likely be looking at a shared service provider to start with, then most likely move onto a budget dedicated server if not an "enterprise" dedicated server.

    In my honest opinion, although companies offer a 99.99% uptime on shared hosting accounts, I don't think anyone would offer you "money-back" - mainly because if any software update / or security patch / update requires a server restart, and an fsck occurs, there will definitely be some expected site downtime which can range from 10 - 30 mins ... however, having said that, it would not generally have any negative effects.
    If you are looking for ALL the assurance of 100% uptime, etc. - then the best route would be to go for a dedicated server (which you can control the downtime on to an extent anyway).

    Hope that helps you make an informed decision.

    All the best.

    I understand that and by the time I need a dedicated server, I would probably hire an IT guy to manage all the IT aspect of the business. However for now, I need something for a small business will most likely use. So right now Iím looking for a reputable shared hosting company that will not shut of my service just because Iím using too much cpu or bandwidth or space. Itís not like a blog, where if it gets shut off they lose traffic; I can lose a sale if my website is not working (we all know the first sale is the most important).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    1,849
    99.99% uptime on a shared hosting account is pretty unrealistic unless its something that has full redundancy with load balancing. Those solutions are expensive though, upwards of $99 / month.

    if there is, something like a fee the webhosting will pay me if the service is down (if possible).
    GOOD webhosting companies offer an SLA usually and that SLA tells you what the compensation is like (% of fees refunded for x amount of downtime usually).

    I also don’t want to see any “This webhosting company shut of my site because it used X% of cpu” or “this webhosting shut my site because I used all of the bandwidth I paid for” when I search “(hosting company name) sucks” on google
    You'd face that problem with almost any host that oversells However your budget is fairly reasonable, maybe you should try looking at the offers section here on WHT to see if there's anything which meets your requirements, I'm sure you can find something non oversold for that much.

    Good luck
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Your request is certainly not unreasonable, money back for downtimes is always hard, you always will have downtimes once in a while unless you go for real clustered hosting (and even those do not always get the 99.9 mark).

    You also have to consider that if a provider doesn't upgrade his servers with the latest patches (which might need a reboot i.e.) your sites could be hacked and a lot more downtime is to be expected.

    One little advice, try to find a smaller company (though large enough to provide you with a solid service) which is able to help you as if it are their sites which are affected.
    Ľ cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Ľ
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Your request is certainly not unreasonable, money back for downtimes is always hard, you always will have downtimes once in a while unless you go for real clustered hosting (and even those do not always get the 99.9 mark).

    You also have to consider that if a provider doesn't upgrade his servers with the latest patches (which might need a reboot i.e.) your sites could be hacked and a lot more downtime is to be expected.

    One little advice, try to find a smaller company (though large enough to provide you with a solid service) which is able to help you as if it are their sites which are affected.
    Companies that pull the plug at 3am for 30 minutes with a one week email notice of downtime for upgrades is reasonable. When I log on to my website at peak hour and find out that my website is not working and start to panic and file 300 support tickets and calling them just to find out it was a upgrade downtime, totally uncalled for. I said (if possible), for the money back not necessary I don’t really think any company would do a money back for a 1-20 dollar service, I just don’t want the company to be on a “to bad/your out of luck” attitude. That why I’m looking for a company with good reviews not with the most good affiliate program on google. I ended up on WHT because I would search "good webhosting" and I would end up on a bogus review site with a whole bunch of affiliate links. So basically I want to know what you guys are using, have any uptime problem? Etc..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by djtohkee View Post
    Companies that pull the plug at 3am for 30 minutes with a one week email notice of downtime for upgrades is reasonable. When I log on to my website at peak hour and find out that my website is not working and start to panic and file 300 support tickets and calling them just to find out it was a upgrade downtime, totally uncalled for. I said (if possible), for the money back not necessary I donít really think any company would do a money back for a 1-20 dollar service, I just donít want the company to be on a ďto bad/your out of luckĒ attitude. That why Iím looking for a company with good reviews not with the most good affiliate program on google. I ended up on WHT because I would search "good webhosting" and I would end up on a bogus review site with a whole bunch of affiliate links. So basically I want to know what you guys are using, have any uptime problem? Etc..
    Fair enough, while most downtimes should be scheduled you can not avoid issues during the day (but should be avoided at all times), besides what is during the day for you, doesn't need to be during the day for the hosting provider.

    If you want to have things as much possible in your own hands i would advise a dedicated server, but i can imagine your budget is not yet up to this. But all shared hosting environments have one thing in common, they have multiple users on it, each user on it could possibly cause downtimes (and i am sure all the hosts try to avoid this ).

    That is why i advice you to find a local / smaller (but reputable) host which will care about your site as it was theirs.

  8. #8
    So what company do you guys recommend?

    right now I’m looking at Jaguarpc.com however their "24/7 Tech Support" is an email system.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by djtohkee View Post
    So what company do you guys recommend?

    right now Iím looking at Jaguarpc.com however their "24/7 Tech Support" is an email system.
    As far as i remember its a ticket system (might be also working trough mail though). Which is not bad at all, as long support answers fast and accurate.

    Granted sometimes a phonecall or IM can clear things up faster.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Directadmin Core
    Posts
    770
    You might consider contacting your business insurance provider for "business interruption" riders ... that way, THEY pay you if it's inaccessible.
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    3,397
    I think we have anothet potential client for MediaLayer here. PrecisionEffect's failover hosting has great uptime and performance as well.
    hi there!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    274
    amy, best sig ever! It fits in with this discussion.

    Hardware. Web hosting relies on it. Hardware fails. Therefore, there is no 100% reliability unless you have dual redundancy. Very costly.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by djtohkee View Post
    So what company do you guys recommend?

    right now Iím looking at Jaguarpc.com however their "24/7 Tech Support" is an email system.
    Hi,

    Try Pair Networks. Have never heard anybody complaining.

    sash
    kept alive by vertaalbureau

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,571
    You're not going to get five nines with that budget. As was said previously, a true N+1 redundant hosting arrangement for your site and top quality network and support, comes with a hefty price tag.

    Call RackSpace and you'll see =)
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    I think we have anothet potential client for MediaLayer here. PrecisionEffect's failover hosting has great uptime and performance as well.
    So does Medialayer offer something like precisoneffect's failover hosting? Because precisioneffect hosting looks very very very attractive.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    I also don’t want to see any “This webhosting company shut of my site because it used X% of cpu”
    That's a hard one, because the host have to protect the server, and if an account use too many resources, they have to prioritize the server performance over 1 account
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ashburn VA, San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    That's a hard one, because the host have to protect the server, and if an account use too many resources, they have to prioritize the server performance over 1 account
    Exactly, the requirements basically require dedicated. Shared hosting is pretty much out of the question.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

  18. #18
    Whatever web host you go with, see if you can talk to any of their customers.

    Also, your budget of $1 to $45 is prone to disaster if you are looking at any web host under $15 a month

    Generally more expensive web hosts can be more reliable since you are giving them more funds to manage their network with

    So I recommend you look in the $15 to $45 and not even consider anything in the $1 to $14 range.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by carolejones View Post
    Whatever web host you go with, see if you can talk to any of their customers.

    Also, your budget of $1 to $45 is prone to disaster if you are looking at any web host under $15 a month

    Generally more expensive web hosts can be more reliable since you are giving them more funds to manage their network with

    So I recommend you look in the $15 to $45 and not even consider anything in the $1 to $14 range.
    i'm not even really considering anything to low. I was even willing to hit 50/month if I have too but I think I found something I can live with/precisioneffect.com

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    How about two shared hosting accounts and DNSMadeEasy based failover? Perhaps you could use ClonePanel (never tried this, but it looks interesting).

    Even the most reliable hardware setup will go down if there is a network outage, so you may want to go for two shared hosting companies that use different networks.

    If you have dynamic content, this may be a little complex, but if you don't, then you should be able to work it out.

  21. #21
    signed up with precisoneffect

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by djtohkee View Post
    signed up with precisoneffect
    Thanks for signing up.

    We're in the process of migrating our billing system, so please be patient if you have any issues paying your invoice. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    Let's hope PrecisionEffect lives up to your quite high expectations. Chances are though, you're overshooting a bit when estimating your actual needs, and you'll be just fine with a well managed shared hosting environment, as it should definitely be able to let you concentrate on your own sales efforts.

    Good luck in business, and do come back to give us a review in a few months' time!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by sgarbus View Post
    Thanks for signing up.

    We're in the process of migrating our billing system, so please be patient if you have any issues paying your invoice. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
    ur uptime promise would sound more promising if you guys had a third party like http://www.hyperspin.com/en/

    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Let's hope PrecisionEffect lives up to your quite high expectations. Chances are though, you're overshooting a bit when estimating your actual needs, and you'll be just fine with a well managed shared hosting environment, as it should definitely be able to let you concentrate on your own sales efforts.

    Good luck in business, and do come back to give us a review in a few months' time!
    Oh yea, for like the first year i would say i'm only going to use like 20mb of space and 100 mb bandwith most likely.
    Last edited by djtohkee; 04-27-2008 at 10:07 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    From what I know, Precision Effect is a pretty reliable host. However, it seems as if you didn't read their Terms of Service, since it goes against what you've asked for originally:


    HIGH RESOURCE USER POLICY
    Resources are defined as cpu/memory utilization and/or resource manipulation. Precision Effect's servers represent a production web environment. Precision Effect will not tolerate the use of our servers as a scripting test environment. When a web site is found to be monopolizing the resources available, Precision Effect reserves the right to suspend or terminate that account immediately. Precision Effect may implement this policy at its sole discretion.


    GUARANTEES
    Precision Effect offers a 99.9 percent uptime guarantee.
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    From what I know, Precision Effect is a pretty reliable host. However, it seems as if you didn't read their Terms of Service, since it goes against what you've asked for originally:


    HIGH RESOURCE USER POLICY
    Resources are defined as cpu/memory utilization and/or resource manipulation. Precision Effect's servers represent a production web environment. Precision Effect will not tolerate the use of our servers as a scripting test environment. When a web site is found to be monopolizing the resources available, Precision Effect reserves the right to suspend or terminate that account immediately. Precision Effect may implement this policy at its sole discretion.


    GUARANTEES
    Precision Effect offers a 99.9 percent uptime guarantee.
    ahhhhh crap, better send in a support ticket to cancel

    "Suspension of Service. Customer agrees that MediaLayer may suspend services to Customer without notice and without liability if: (i) MediaLayer reasonably believes that the services are being used in violation of the AUP; (ii) Customer fails to cooperate with any reasonable investigation of any suspected violation of the AUP; (iii) MediaLayer reasonably believes that the suspension of service is necessary to protect its network or its other customers, or (iv) as requested by a law enforcement or regulatory agency. Customer shall pay MediaLayer’s reasonable reinstatement fee if service is reinstituted following a suspension of service under this subsection." that was from medialayer.com is there any company that will at least give me a 7day notice that my service will be a disconnected?
    Last edited by djtohkee; 04-28-2008 at 01:33 AM.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by djtohkee View Post
    ahhhhh crap, better send in a support ticket to cancel
    No reason to, really - it's exactly what you should expect from any shared host.

    With the better (generally more expensive) hosts they'll try to work with you and find a way to keep your site going but the bottom line is: if your site is affecting the other users on the server then it won't be allowed to continue. And if it was one of the other users causing your site to be unavailable, you wouldn't want it any other way.
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    No reason to, really - it's exactly what you should expect from any shared host.

    With the better (generally more expensive) hosts they'll try to work with you and find a way to keep your site going but the bottom line is: if your site is affecting the other users on the server then it won't be allowed to continue. And if it was one of the other users causing your site to be unavailable, you wouldn't want it any other way.
    Agreed.

    Right on the money, as usual, Chris

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,960
    Do not cancel yet.

    Just observe it first since all shared hosting providers do have a limit when it comes to CPU resources.

    If your sites still can't handle in the shared hosting environment, then better go for dedicated server.
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    City Of Industry CA USA
    Posts
    48

    *

    hello
    I remember seeing an ad for http://managemybox.com for a dedicated server for $49 /month.

    if memory serves me it was
    AMD XP 2000+
    120 gb hd
    1 gb ram
    B/W 750 gb
    centos
    free directadmin

    i think the datacenter is in CA USA
    LA Server Shack - Reliable Hosting At An Affordable Price.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •