Bandwidth/Connection

Hey Everyone.

I have an ISP Lined up, I can get 16 Down, 1.5 Up (Mbits).

Is that sufficient enough for 1 server.

I will upgrade to roughly that for every server that I have.

If not, any good providers under 300 per month for around

100-200 People on the server?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phynom Technologies View Post
    Hey Everyone.

I have an ISP Lined up, I can get 16 Down, 1.5 Up (Mbits).

Is that sufficient enough for 1 server.

I will upgrade to roughly that for every server that I have.

If not, any good providers under 300 per month for around

100-200 People on the server?

Thanks.
    Assuming your ISP even allows you to run a server, your max upload would be about 200gigs (overall) a month. How much bandwidth do you clients use monthly? Are these popular (more than 1000+ hits daily) sites?

Assuming the average page is 80kb, and a site gets 1000 hits daily = (80,000kb (around 78megs) x 30 days in a month) = approximately 2.3 GB a month. of web traffic alone, not including e-mails/FTP).

Overall a site with 1000 visitors daily should be allocated AT LEAST 3gigs per month.

Also assuming the 100-200 clients have similar needs and usage patterns, we would want to be able to provide between 300gigs and 600gigs of traffic monthly.

Honestly, I wouldn't even try to host 100-200 clients on a 1.5Mbit up connection. I dealt with a company hosting 60 on a similar connection, and it was pure slowness and chaos.
    Last edited by larwilliams; 04-26-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: adding extra information
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    Assuming your ISP even allows you to run a server, your max upload would be about 200gigs (overall) a month. How much bandwidth do you clients use monthly? Are these popular (more than 1000+ hits daily) sites?

Assuming the average page is 80kb, and a site gets 1000 hits daily = (80,000kb (around 78megs) x 30 days in a month) = approximately 2.3 GB a month. of web traffic alone, not including e-mails/FTP).

Overall a site with 1000 visitors daily should be allocated AT LEAST 3gigs per month.

Also assuming the 100-200 clients have similar needs and usage patterns, we would want to be able to provide between 300gigs and 600gigs of traffic monthly.

Honestly, I wouldn't even try to host 100-200 clients on a 1.5Mbit up connection. I dealt with a company hosting 60 on a similar connection, and it was pure slowness and chaos.
    So I should be looking at 16 Down, 16 Up.

I worked out that 16 would get me roughly 5000GB Transfer per

month. Factor in real world time and it is about 3000-4000GB.

Any good providers in Ontario Canada?