Avoiding billing for traffic between ports?

If I have a customer renting two servers from me, and I collect bandwidth data at the switch port, and he does large transfers between the two boxes that travels through my switch, how do I avoid charging him for that bandwidth? Make him install his own switch? That's the only way I can think to do it. I can limit other people from flooding others on the switch with vlans, but within a vlan, it really isn't fair to bill for traffic that flows between ports, is it?

Or you can use snmp monitoring and monitor the nic of the machine, use two nics on the server, 1 for internal and 1 for external.

Quote Originally Posted by amc-james View Post
    yeah, either get a switch or put a cross-over cable between them on a 2nd NIC.
    I totally didn't think of that, and I had thought about dual nics as a makeshift switch a while back.

You could always set up monitoring where his VLAN egresses your network.. or if your network isn't structured properly to allow that, use something like ipfm on a host mirroring your uplinks with the customer's subnet(s).

The cleanest would be like what you said which is setting up dedicated switch for your customer. I believe you can get gigabit switch for less today.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

How many hosters provide free server-to-server traffic for a single hosted customer (versus requiring 2nd NIC or dedi switch or...?)?

Options:

1. VLANS
    2. 2nd NICs w/ Cross over

Those are the easiest options - as no additional power is required - and pretty simple to setup.
    Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.

I would think setting up a VLAN for the servers and monitoring bandwidth based on the VLAN would be the easiest method of doing this.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Monitoring a VLAN uplink is the easiest option. The only other way to do it would be to monitor traffic using Netflow data (or equivalent).
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

Karl is correct: I would think setting up a VLAN for the servers and monitoring bandwidth based on the VLAN would be the easiest method of doing this.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    I would think setting up a VLAN for the servers and monitoring bandwidth based on the VLAN would be the easiest method of doing this.
    I vote for VLAN if your switch supports this function.