Hey guys,

I have a dedicated RHEL server with cPanel and my server loads spikes about +0.4 (out of 2.0) for about 30 mins every 4-6 hours or so. My regular server load is 0.01, because there is barely any traffic on the server yet, but by looking at my top processes in WHM, I can see that the processes that are spiking the Server Load when it is high, is something like:

sshd: [priv] root
sshd: [accepted]
sshd: [priv] games
sshd: [priv] news
sshd: [accepted]

...something along these lines. And a lot of times there are 10-20 of these sshd processes at one time.

My server is managed and my dedicated server engineer said it was probably a bot trying passwords. He took one of the IP's, said it was from Taiwan, and blocked that IP in iptables.

However, this is still happening constantly with different IP's. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I'm the only person (and my host) who should be able to login to my server using SSH... however, I don't have a static IP and I work from multiple locations, so only allowing certain IP's won't work for me.

First off, is this normal? Or am I being attacked or what? What can I do to remedy this? It seems the bots haven't successfully logged in, but they are spiking my server load which is NOT what I want.

Thanks for any help and guidance.