* is vps enough for my sites or dedicated is necessary?

Hello everybody,

i have 14 websites. i think to move my sites vps OR dedicated server. But i am not sure. i have this sites:

1st site: 6k unique/day + 150GB bw/month + 500mb web disk
    2nd site: 11k unique/day (5k vbulletin page+6k other page) + 150gb bw/month + 500 mb webdisk
    3th site: 1k unique/day + 30gb bw/month + 200 mb web disk
    4th site: 1k unique/day + 10 gb bw/month + 200 mb web disk

Other sites: Very small sites. For example unique:30/day Bw is under the 1 gb.

Vps is enough for my sites? If it is enough may i buy which vps server properties?

May i buy dedicated for my sites? if yes may i buy which dedicated server properties?

<< snipped >>

if you write link i will pleased
    Last edited by net; 04-27-2008 at 12:44 AM.

in my opinion, if your sites is rising, you need good dedicated server

If your sites are static-pages, a vps might be ok. But if you have a lot of SQL, such as vbulletin, a vps might be too slow.

with almost 20k uniques per day i'd go dedicated
    BX

dedicated for sure.

So Thanks friends, i asked a lot of person and i made my decision. i will buy dedicated server. i have questions again.

What is the ram properties for my sites.
    512mb ram? 1gb ram? 2 gb ram?

What is the processor properties for my sites.
    Pentium? Athlon?

P4 2.8ghz is enough?

I think a vps for $50-$70 can do good job rather than dedi of same price.

Quote Originally Posted by RaghavT View Post
    I think a vps for $50-$70 can do good job rather than dedi of same price.
    i dont think to buy VPS. i think to dedicated server. But i didnt adjudge ram and cpu properties

Bear in mind theres a big difference in the hardware that VPS providers use. A quality VPS can provide better "bang for buck" than a Dedicated Server.

i.e. A lot of budget VPS providers stick 20 VPS on a low end Dual Core box with 4GB Ram, which is OK. On the other hand there are providers who guarantee a much lower ratio, i.e 10-20 VPS per node on a 4 or 8 cpu/core system.

600k page views per month isn't too much.

I'm currently getting 2+ million (on mostly PHP/MySQL intensive sites) and am running fine on a 448 Mb RAM VPS.

Although if you do plan getting more sites and if you see your site's growth rising quickly, a dedicated may be a good plan.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

If you have a lot of database-driven pages (e.g. forums) then you need to be careful comparing VPS and dedicated. We've moved some big forums off cheap dedicated servers with only a single 7200 RPM drive onto a VPS with the same amount of RAM and a (shared) RAID 10 10k SAS array and the performance improved massively.

We have sites on VPSs that have taken substatial Digg attacks too, which is cool as they have a low level of backround traffic and then get large peaks of traffic every few weeks when they get on Digg, BBC News and other sites.

It all depends on the spec of the dedicated and the spec of the VPS host server, and the number of VPSs you might be sharing with. As has been already said, at the same price point the VPS could potentially provide better performance and reliability as you don't get enterprise-class dedicated servers with RAID arrays, 8 CPU cores and redundant power and fans on cheap dedicated servers.

Gavin
    Network EQ
    UK VPS
    , cPanel Hosting, Dedicated Servers and Hosted Exchange

High end VPS with lots of RAM and a powerful CPU or medium grade dedicated box.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

Node like Dual Quad Xeon, 8-16 gb ram & you get a top end VPS from it, will probably give you much better performance than dedicated server in same price. Yes! It also depends on the VPS companies how are they managing their node.

You definately need a strong dedicated server for all these.

Thanks friends. i made my decision. i will buy a dedicated. Because i will install VbSeo to my forum and i will build new websites. i think 1gb ram and P4 2.8 Ghz. i think to buy dedicated from LayeredTech. How do you think about LayeredTech company

LT is a great company, but for how much are you getting it ?

Gives us full details