Is it common for renters to be forced to move out?

I remember when I was a kid my dad rented a nice house for years and then he he said that we had to move since the owner of the house wanted to move back. My dad is a known bs'er so now I wonder if that was really true. Anyway, is it common for someone who you rent from just out of the blue contacts you to move out for whatever reason even if you are a good tenant? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lexington View Post
    I remember when I was a kid my dad rented a nice house for years and then he he said that we had to move since the owner of the house wanted to move back. My dad is a known bs'er so now I wonder if that was really true. Anyway, is it common for someone who you rent from just out of the blue contacts you to move out for whatever reason even if you are a good tenant? Thanks.
    Sure, at the end of your lease, the landlord can do whatever they want.. If they want to move back, that's their right. It's common for landlords to stop renting for a while, for example, if they want to move in, or sell the place, or do construction on it.

Thanks So as long as you do not violate the lease agreement they cannot kick you out until it expires?

Your dad may have been telling the truth or blowing smoke, it's probably the former of the two.

It's usually specified in the rental agreement that if the owner wants to sell the property or move back in, they have the right to do so.

Don't lease agreements usually apply to apartments/townhouses/condos?

Not really.

In most cases, they will not force you out unless you don't pay the rent.

Most landlords own a second home, so they don't need you out, they need you in to pay for their loan/bills.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Quote Originally Posted by lexington View Post
    I remember when I was a kid my dad rented a nice house for years and then he he said that we had to move since the owner of the house wanted to move back.
    Of course this can happen. I did it, with my first home. I bought it while I was still living at home with the folks, and had tenants renting it out for 12mths. I then decided to move out of home and move into it, so I gave the tenants notice that I would not be renewing their 12mth lease, and they moved out and I moved in.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by azizny View Post
    Not really.
    In most cases, they will not force you out unless you don't pay the rent.
    In our case, the landlord wanted to sell the house to someone, and we were given a few months to find housing and move. Best thing that could have happened, because we wound up in our present home, with a few acres, lots of room and privacy, and paid in full.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

for my apartment i had a lease for a yr, then after my lease is up they keep upping the bloody rent. almost a grand for a studio here in Korea town, LA. pretty much forcing me out.. soon..

sucks.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

My mom gave a tenant the boot with only a couple weeks notice. She did it legally too... I'll have to ask her.

Lease agreement.

30 days notice.

Depending tenant laws for the the city or state.

Quote Originally Posted by hycloud View Post
    Lease agreement.

30 days notice.

Depending tenant laws for the the city or state.
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Some people rent a house on a 12 month lease, some rent on a month by month basis. The landlord (or the tenant) can give 30 or 60 days notice, depending on the laws of your province or state to terminate the agreement.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    My mom gave a tenant the boot with only a couple weeks notice. She did it legally too... I'll have to ask her.
    Early termination of a lease can generally be for when the tenant is very behind in their rent, or if the house is not being looked after well enough. Those are usual clauses in rent agreements - or they are here in Aussie.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!