Thread: Zone.NET - ZOO!

Question Zone.NET - ZOO!

What a zoo. Seriously.

This is the worst support Ive come across for sometime now.

I have since been requested to
    resolve a small SPAM issue,
    turns out the server has been rooted
    and a few kids have been running mailservers
    from it to send spam along with a fresh rootkit etc etc etc.

Anyway, Rebuild of VPS OS, reconfiguration of WHM/CPANEL, secure the OS...

Well, it comes to the Zone Support time!

Please Note: The customer of ZONE, had contacted
    the support team of ZONE and alerted them that my company would
    be doing some work on the VPS and would be requesting an operation - Cpanel License Refresh. Cool? Sweet!.

Ok, So I confirm with ZONE support about 3-4 times that they could refresh the CPANEL license, However I was worried as there response times were nearly at 2 hours between emails.... I needed to have this CPANEL License Refreshed straight away... So that these sites are not down longer than half an hour.

ZONE Support alerted me via 2 support tickets that if I wanted a CPANEL license refresh - I would need to forward the login/VPS details, I forwarded all the needed info.

Now it comes to reinstall!

Ok, So multiple backups have been made. Time to reinstall current OS.

Current OS?! YEAH RIGHT! Zone Monkeys didn't set the default reinstall OS template for the clients account, So what happens?

Well, you get a very minimized OS with no update or get functions, no glibc and no possible/logical/easy way to install Cpanel.

I then request Zone support to have the CORRECT OS template be configured, and then install CPANEL, then refresh license... - Get everything hit by one stone - Would be easy enough for them... Only a few commands in a console..

2 hours later. NO RESPONSE.

At this LATE point of time, I then reinstall the backup of the VPS which is breached.

An email then arrives from ZONE - We ignore all non-customer related/linked support tickets. You need to request these actions through the customer portal - Minimized version but its basically what they said.

Now, Why did I arrange the CPANEL license refresh?
    I knew the ZONE SUPPORT would be slow.

Why did they take so long?
    Each time my ticket was replied too,
    a different animal answered.

What happened if the client decided to reinstall the VPS OS,
    and the incorrect OS was installed... he would be a bit lost?

Funny thing is, Zone.NET's website is very very impressive... I like it very much... I was even thinking about getting a VPS from them.

But with 2+ hour response times on URGENT ISSUES...

Im now moving the client to a new provider, as the previous support with ZONE has been not exactly " good ".

Anyone else had similar encounters?
    DigitalGoods.info
    FREE Shared, Mega Resellers + Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

a small SPAM issue,
    turns out the server has been rooted
    and a few kids have been running mailservers
    from it to send spam along with a fresh rootkit etc etc etc.
    The first line of this statement doesn't match up with the remainder. Maybe it'd be minor if a php script were exploited to send out some spam, but not if you've been fully rooted, and are being used as a dedicated spam / rootkit propagation base.

Was this your vps? If so, are you really qualified to be server administration services?
      0 Not allowed!

I don't see the problem? They installed a minimal version of the os, so what? Your signature claims you offer "system administration" so why can't you perform basic tasks and install what you need?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganNZ View Post
    Well, you get a very minimized OS with no update or get functions, no glibc and no possible/logical/easy way to install Cpanel.
    Yes there is, install what you need and then install cPanel......
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    The first line of this statement doesn't match up with the remainder. Maybe it'd be minor if a php script were exploited to send out some spam, but not if you've been fully rooted, and are being used as a dedicated spam / rootkit propagation base.

Was this your vps? If so, are you really qualified to be server administration services?
    I only provide brief overviews...

Why are my skills/qualifications being questioned here?!

Lets get this clear...

I was contacted by client - VPS issues - SPAM ISSUES.

It turns out the server has been hacked and is being used for spam relaying.

Client has requested rebuild of server, security setup & configuration & restoration of sites.

1. I contacted ZONE SUPPORT to PLAN CPANEL LICENSE REFRESH.
    2. REINSTALLED OS VIA VPSCP - WRONG OS TEMPLATE CONFIGURED.
    3. ZONE SUPPORT USELESS. - 2HOURS+ response times on URGENT ISSUES.
    4. ZONE SUPPORT MESSED ME AROUND FROM STEP 1.

If zone had put there finger in, the following would have completed near problem free;

1. Reinstall of OS, with base install of CPANEL - EFFICIENCY.
    2. CPANEL LICENSE ACTIVATION.

But it didn't, why? Because of the above.

I posted this as a warning of there support muckups, Not of my ability to be questioned.

The BASE OS that was installed ( instead of the base CPANEL OS template ) was soooo basic it wasn't funny. It wasn't worth spending the extra time to get it up and running when all its going to cause is dependency issues later on.

Ub3r;
    This was not our VPS, It is a clients. The client came to us as there current support of there VPS is horrible - ZONE.NET. They could not get a spam issue resolved, So they seeked 3rd party investigation - SSANZ. We have since investigated as stated above and found there to be a bigger problem than just spam - rooted and relaying spam.

Qualified? 10 engineers, 10 years Business run-time and more than 30+ I.T qualifications between our staff?... Nah we don't know what the hell we are doing.... lol.

In the end, this is the most horrific support drama ive had. For a company with such a nice design.
    DigitalGoods.info
      0 Not allowed!

This thread is pretty funny.

Basically, your not our customer, but a third-party, and your fuming because you never received a response from us when you opened a ticket, right?

Here's the same response I updated your "CPANEL REFRESH" ticket with:

Hello,

Please note that we never had plans to reload/reinstall any server. We do not accept any support requests, especially ones regarding any reloads/reboots via e-mail. You *must* submit all support requests by logging into our support system by going to control.zone.net with the email address and password you signed up with.

Any tickets that do not have a client listing for support generally get ignored. Thanks.

Regards,

Sean K.
    ZONE.NET
    ..and about 45 minutes after my response, my sales manager Jeff followed up with this:

Also, if you're opening tickets on someone else's behalf, that person must give you permission to do so by opening a ticket with us. We will never do work on a customers server because someone else (unaffiliated) opens a ticket wanting the work done. Please have Steven open a ticket with us giving you permission to open tickets on his behalf.

Regards,

Jeffrey R.
    ZONE.NET
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry, but I completely agree with Zone on this one... you're not the direct party responsible for the VPS... and from what it looks like, you're not authorized to have any interaction on behalf of that client.

Customer Privacy Policies... ain't they a b***h? ALWAYS protecting the customer. I've done that time and time again, myself.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)
      0 Not allowed!

I have to agree, also is this one of their Self-Managed or fully managed solutions?

If this is a self managed solution, this is why the customer hired YOU to perform the work on the machine. Or you got hired to Submit a ticket?

By the way, your post doesn't make much sense, you have not even been clear on what the issue was? SPAM? CPANEL reinstall? OS reinstall?

Regardless, you're wrong and Zone is right.
      0 Not allowed!

Zone are in the right here, Your not there client therefore there not obliged to help you and dont have to do anything for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Logan, bottom line, you need to get on the phone with your client and tell them the issues you've found with their server.

Then give them step by step instructions to get it rectified which includes having them submit the proper ticket using the steps seankoons has provided.

End of problem.

I certainly hope you don't expect any host to just do what you ask when you submit a ticket, right? This is how servers are wiped or taken offline without proper procedures. Zone obviously has the right procedures in place.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News
      0 Not allowed!

Another point to look at ::

Your customer contacted me, as your current support is useless.

Your client asked you for support, you investigated the issue and said that there was nothing wrong with mail - They had heavy spam issues.

A simple scan from rkhunter... Revealed the server is indeed rooted, and further investigation showed it is is being used for spam relay.

THE CLIENT CONFIRMED WITH MY SUPPORT TEAM
    THAT YOU HAD APPROVED OF A 3RD PARTY REQUESTING
    ACTIONS REGARDING CPANEL LICENSE REFRESH.

THE CLIENT HAD EMAILED ZONE - ALERTING YOU OF A 3RD PARTY.

Fuming? I haven't started, i merely posted this to gain ZONE some exposure on there lengthy support ticket reply times, including there obvious misconfiguration.

I made it clear what the problem was;

as stated above.

" Small spam problem, turned into a BIG problem - The server is rooted and actually relaying spam. " - Basic version.

Funny thing is, ive had a few issues with picky providers... They don't like another management provider coming along and looking after the client

This is fairly interesting; Im being told im " wrong ". This isn't a question, nor a comment but a fact of cause & effect -

The client notified my company that we are able to send requests to ZONE support, as the client told us that he/she had alerted them of a 3rd party.

This is realistically fairly pathetic. We have been told that we can send in support requests, yet ZONE SUPPORT didn't tell us in the first ticket. We gave them FULL VPS LOGIN INFORMATION.

This is all im saying and will say.
    DigitalGoods.info
      0 Not allowed!

The question is, was this a fully managed vps or not? Zone.net offers unmanaged and fully managed.

That makes or breaks this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos-IBT View Post
    The question is, was this a fully managed vps or not? Zone.net offers unmanaged and fully managed.

That makes or breaks this thread.
    The VPS is unmanaged afaik
    DigitalGoods.info
      0 Not allowed!

I was motivated enough to recover my password in order to post to this golden thread.

@@@

LoganNZ, it sounds like your client should be reviewing the server management services of http://www.ssanz.net/, your "company".

Your client purchased an unmanaged vps, hey they are cheaper, why not. Apparently they then hired you to manage it for them because they are typical web host that cannot do much but click whm buttons. Your infinite server administration skills permitted the server to become hacked and a spam source. Against all odds, you find it logical to post on a forum that the unmanaged web host, which only keeps the server online, is at fault here. In reality, your own incompetence is what any experienced hoster or admin here will tell you is the primary source of blame.

If you have ssh access to the server, you should be able to recover from the situation, that was your contract between you and your client. Zone kept the server up, and you kept it secure and functioning. However, this does not seem to have been the case.

Bottom line- do not trust http://www.ssanz.net/ for much of anything except creative and deceiving forum posts about blame misdirection. Maybe you should leave the server administration to the pros and return to your previous occupation- WHT will have much more intelligent posts, the world will have less spam, and you will find something which you can excel at.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    I was motivated enough to recover my password in order to post to this golden thread.

@@@

LoganNZ, it sounds like your client should be reviewing the server management services of http://www.ssanz.net/, your "company".

Your client purchased an unmanaged vps, hey they are cheaper, why not. Apparently they then hired you to manage it for them because they are typical web host that cannot do much but click whm buttons. Your infinite server administration skills permitted the server to become hacked and a spam source. Against all odds, you find it logical to post on a forum that the unmanaged web host, which only keeps the server online, is at fault here. In reality, your own incompetence is what any experienced hoster or admin here will tell you is the primary source of blame.

If you have ssh access to the server, you should be able to recover from the situation, that was your contract between you and your client. Zone kept the server up, and you kept it secure and functioning. However, this does not seem to have been the case.

Bottom line- do not trust http://www.ssanz.net/ for much of anything except creative and deceiving forum posts about blame misdirection. Maybe you should leave the server administration to the pros and return to your previous occupation- WHT will have much more intelligent posts, the world will have less spam, and you will find something which you can excel at.
    Where did you pull your assumptions from?

1. SSANZ did not manage the server.
    2. The client came to me as they were having spam issues.
    3. SSANZ found the server was actually infected/rooted.
    4. SSANZ consulted client - Client requested rebuild, secure the server and restore sites.
    5. The support quality and efficiency of ZONE Support is totally below our HIGH STANDARDS.
    6. When ZONE Support decided all of a sudden they don't like 3rd party support providers even after ZONE's client contact them and confirmed it was ok.

All I have to say and the SSANZ TEAM;

lol?
    DigitalGoods.info
      0 Not allowed!

And all I have to say is that you're not getting it, Logan. You are *not* the authorized contact for this account.

Okay, let's break it down this way.

This is an unmanaged customer. They are responsible for all aspects of their VPS.

Zone.net is responsible for that the hardware is fine, the network is fine, the IPs are usable and routeable. Without going to their site to find out what managed versus unmanaged means, this is the core responsibility of ZOne.net when it comes to providing VPS services. Nothing more, nothing less.

Their customer (NOT YOU) is who they answer to. If their customer needed to have you authorized to contact Zone.net on th eir behalf, THE CUSTOMER should have initiated the request with Zone.net FIRST.

I'm not saying that I distrust you, but I can't even begin to count the number of times that I've been contacted by a bitter spouse or p*ssed off ex-employee hell bent on causing irreparable harm. Let's not forget that there are just some malicious people out there with nothing better to do than to make things miserable for others.

It's for that very reason that MANY providers simply will not provide support to an unknown third party, and this is what you're failing to grasp throughout this whole thread.

You may be exceptional at server security, no one is questioning that. What you're not good is getting the fact that you are asking not only ZOne.net to violate their own customer privacy policies, but for all of us to give youa ringing endorsement for doing so.

Look at how many people in this thread are saying the same *exact* thing and supporting Zone on this. I can't speak for the others on this... but my own customer privacy policy stems from nearly a decade in this business.

Stop and try to absorb what all of us are saying... you're in the wrong here. Until the customer contacts Zone.net and gives them the authorization they need in order to work with you, your original post is moot.

EDIT: One other key point that I should mention. You failed your role as a Server Administrator when you did not advise the client to contact Zone.net to authorize your ability to contact Zone.net on your behalf. Almost every other server administrator/administration company that I am aware of always requests that the clients get that authorization set up immediately before any work is done. It's just smart business practice.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)
      0 Not allowed!

Agreed with Zone here.

What is wrong ? They reinstalled the OS. You expect it to come the way it was? No. I think this thread just shows your unprofessional attitude and apparent lack of knowledge in the VPS industry.
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr
      0 Not allowed!

I only provide brief overviews...

Why are my skills/qualifications being questioned here?!
    They are being questioned because they are questionable. I fail to see why you were unable to perform basic tasks..... A minimal install is not an excuse for being able to perform any task, looking at zone.net they are all package based distrubitions so it would take a whole command to install everything you needed.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]
      0 Not allowed!

Well, look at all of this.

All of WHT's know it alls like to have a nice flame.

Well, I find this funny.

Assumptions, Failure to read. Fairly common amongst these WHT's KiA's.

Ming chow ping?

Best Regards,
    SSANZ TEAM

Scott;

Sif? No packages were available. Downed sites & not so happy client = no time.
    However, if ZONE had configured the templates correctly. That would not have happened. Correct?
    Last edited by LoganNZ; 04-26-2008 at 12:26 PM.
    DigitalGoods.info
      0 Not allowed!

Well, look at all of this.

All of WHT's know it alls like to have a nice flame.

Well, I find this funny.

Assumptions, Failure to read. Fairly common amongst these WHT's KiA's.

Ming chow ping?

Best Regards,
    SSANZ TEAM

Scott;

Sif? No packages were available. Downed sites & not so happy client = no time.
    However, if ZONE had configured the templates correctly. That would not have happened. Correct?
    Let's recap this story some more since my last post. I see much has happened here, and the community has come out in full force to stand up for common sense, which has put a big smile on my face as I type this (thanks!).

a) your still not our customer, or ever was

b) your/our "client" who really owns the server never contacted us at all about you

c) your/our "client" has an unmanaged account, and is responsible for all software issues on their server anyway

d) you submitted a support request (which was responded to by me with instructions on how to properly get authorization and have a support request submitted)

e) you claim it's our fault the server you are managing/responsible for your client was compromised

f) your saying the reload of a VPS restores only a basic core OS and you had trouble with it after you did that

I think the community has said plenty already about what you did wrong here, Logan and how it could have been handled better by you. Please understand, if you were the account holder and all of a sudden you found your VPS wiped clean and re-installed without proper authorization you'd be a bit upset and this would be a different kind of thread, trust me. We have dozens (if not more) customers that utilize our unmanaged servers and have their own third-party management (such as PSM, for example) that never had this issue. What we did was for the protection of your/our client and for the sake of common courtesy for the integrity of our client's data.

The only person that made assumptions here was you. You expected us to do whatever you asked, and when I updated your ticket with instructions on how to get support for your client the proper way, you just ignored us and came running here to share your tales of woe with the world. Didn't turn out the way you expected, I'm afraid.

On a lighter note, being an animal fan, although I'm kind of digging the thread title, I would like to cast my vote for a title change. How about something like "ZONE.NET does not provide support to non-customers?!".
      0 Not allowed!

Thread closed by OP request.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design
      0 Not allowed!