Firing back at Yahoo for their inconsiderate mail service

We've installed domainkeys, SPF, and taken all measures suggested by Yahoo but customer e-mails continue to be delayed for days at times. And then of course they end up in the recipients junk folder. Worst of all is that Yahoo does not care to take the time to help or inform ISP's. No explanations, just generic tips.

So I was wondering if there is some sort of exim or sendmail script (procmail?) we can create that will do the following:

For every e-mail sent to Yahoo, the mail server sends another one to the recipient with a notice saying something like:

Attempts to deliver this e-mail to you were rejected by Yahoo mail service X number of times [or delayed X hours/days]. If this is unsatisfactory, we suggest you contact Yahoo support for a resolution.
    Any way of implementing such a thing??

I think the starting place for something like this would be the exim system wide filter /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter

I wonder if it's all doable using just an exim recipe. If not, then it should be doable by piping the e-mail to a custom script I suppose. Not sure how to detect when the e-mail was successfully sent so we can send the recipient a notice.. The exim filter would run once for every failed delivery attempt so we can have something in there which would add 1 to the count of failed delivery attempt (by piping to a script)...

Anyways, any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

I'm definitely in agreement with this post. Yahoo has the most worthless mail filter on the internet. Of course you can block tons of spam if you just don't accept anyone's email. We've posted to their form multiple times and sent emails to their support email address. All we get are canned responses back. No help at all! If anyone has any ideas they'd definitely be appreciated.
    A beginner's guide to choosing a web host
    Linux, Windows, Mac, Why can't we all just get along?

There is no way giving the fact that they, Hotmail and Gmail are the largest free email accounts provider. For me I followed their rules and sometimes I get lucky and meet a fast and effective tech and sometimes I don't (that would take a long time) emails goes back and fro, but in the end you still need to sort it out with Yahoo or ultmately your clients will be the one suffering.

I suffer from the same problem. No provider rejects our e-mails, not GMail, Hotmail, smaller ones, none. The only provider to delay or throw our e-mails on junk folder is Yahoo.

I have tried everything from their site but didn't help. Have even filled their form, for which I received a canned useless response as well.

Simply put, Yahoo anti-spam filter sux. I think they're too paranoid about spam and how it's gonna eat their advertising income.
    Last edited by emanuel12; 04-25-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Just put a robots.txt to block their crawlers from your servers, if their search engine becomes worthless, maybe they will wake up and listen.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Did you try bribing them, that seems to work.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by cywkevin View Post
    Did you try bribing them, that seems to work.
    hahah - that gave a good laugh

anyway - Gmail all the way!
    if ($life == "fair") {exit;}else ($life = "1") {$reality_sets_in = 1;
    $server_cost = relative";
    $shared_host = $bye - $bye;}

I think I can create a custom exim filter which uses a PHP script to do what I proposed. Implementation should be simple. Using such a filter, at least from our servers alone, several hundred if not thousand notices will go out each day letting Yahoo customers know that their delivery delays are Yahoo's fault. These notices would be generated for e-mails that are delayed or rejected by Yahoo more than a certain number of times and not for any emails delivered promptly. So there would be no harm in installing it even if your server is currently delivering to Yahoo fine.

Yahoo thinks they can force the entire internet to conform to their will. I just want to see that it's their business that hurts and not just ours if they choose to enforce unorthodox mail practices.

Also a note that might help ease the problem for those suffering from this problem. Find out which of your customers are forwarding their e-mails to Yahoo addresses and have them turn on spamassassin with a setting to discard emails with a score of 5 or higher.

I think what Yahoo might be doing is penalizing mail servers which forward them SPAM. They know the spam did not originate from our servers but they penalize us anyways.

We only have problems with Yahoo and we're using both SPF and domain keys.