Any Suggestions for Dedicated Server?

I'm looking for a dedicated server. I've scoured the forums, and Google, for any server that fits my needs. Any suggestions? I'd prefer not going through an intermediary, ex: Host Gator resells The Planet. Also, I've thought about BurstNet, but I worked for a company who had several servers hosted with them and we had TERRIBLE downtime. If this has changed let me know.

In any event, I'm open to suggestions.

-fin
    Thales

What is your budget?
    What will you using the server for?
    Do you need the provider to manage your server?
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Some more questions might be:
    Where do you need the server located? North, East, South, West?
    What type of configuration might you need.
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!

I'd have specified more in my original post, but I was unsure as to whether it would be considered a hosting request.

Budget, >$180.00
    Web-hosting for about 30 local businesses.
    Semi-managed or fully managed.
    Geographical location isn't too important, I'm located in the south, as are most of my clients.
    Configuration, I would probably say at least a P4, no Celerons, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1TB Bandwidth, cPanel/WHM/Fantastico. I went through the quote request process on WHT, but the replies I received were lackluster.

Thanks!
    -fin
    Thales

Have you checked the Dedicated Hosting Offers section?
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!

I have. There were a few decent offers that interested me, but I was hoping someone might have some sort of experience with a company that they would recommend.

-fin
    Thales

BurstNET has changed, at least, uptime is pretty good now, their network has apparently improved greatly recently, and in my experience (1 month so far), the network has been almost perfect (20min down due to a config error in a router).
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

That's good to know. I'm trying to find the right mix of value and quality. I'm going to do some searching on WHT and Burst's website.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Heard anything about FDC?

-fin
    Thales

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    Heard anything about FDC?
    FDC should have a fair amount of reviews around here, it will be more helpful for you to do some research into them (such as searching on WHT) rather than request reviews and experiences in this thread.

Take a look at Steadfast.net. They offer Core 2 Duo E4500, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 1200GB Performance Bandwidth, and Remote Reboot for only $149/mo + $25/mo for cPanel.
    http://steadfast.net/services/dedicated.basic.php

The price fits your budger with better server and network. I highly recommend you to give them a shot!
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Based on your requirements you should really have your pick of the litter. Your budget and listed needs allow you to really choose from most anyone. Check the offers forum. I suggest you narrow your choice down to a few providers and try contacting them after midnight. Those that dont answer you can scratch off the list. Good luck!
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

because sales didn't reply to him after midnight all of a sudden its scratched off the list?
    contacting support after midnight to test if theyre around would be a much better judgement

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    because sales didn't reply to him after midnight all of a sudden its scratched off the list?
    contacting support after midnight to test if theyre around would be a much better judgement
    I dont see where I mentioned contacting sales. I guess I should have been more specific. Try contacting tech support after midnight.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

I got my server from http://www.clearancerack.ca/ I am only paying 102 a month for a decent server. They only have one person that actually works their he is the owner of the company they are new and all. He is getting his support team " shipped " to him soon so their will be 24/7 all my emails were replyed to within an hour. He does free installs of Cpanel just ask him to install stuff. I had him install 3rd party software and configure it for me like csf and clamav and mod secure and ipanel all for free. New company, best support i've had in forever no downtime. The server is in Canada. I live in the USA in SouthEast Missouri on a Dialup connection. My server for my ISP is 20 miles away. And I get full download speeds. 10$ for an upgrade to a 100mbps that is diffently fast. I downloaded a file on my server at 2.32 megs a second. I used burtnet with their 10/100 soppose and all I got was 200kb a second. I can't describe how good this person is really amazing I mean just amazing. I put my hosting companys name on the line. that is really how good they are. When he gets busy and can't do all the request he hires people from theserverdoctor or something. Real good guy, financailly stable for everything. Hope he is the one for you, I promise he won't let you down. also he isnt a reseller he bought out a company.

I'm looking for a dedicated server. I've scoured the forums, and Google, for any server that fits my needs. Any suggestions? I'd prefer not going through an intermediary, ex: Host Gator resells The Planet. Also, I've thought about BurstNet, but I worked for a company who had several servers hosted with them and we had TERRIBLE downtime. If this has changed let me know.

In any event, I'm open to suggestions.

-fin
    Thales
    I'd have specified more in my original post, but I was unsure as to whether it would be considered a hosting request.

Budget, >$180.00
    Geographical location isn't too important, I'm located in the south, as are most of my clients.
    Configuration, I would probably say at least a P4, no Celerons, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1TB Bandwidth, cPanel/WHM/Fantastico. I went through the quote request process on WHT, but the replies I received were lackluster.

Thanks!
    -fin
    Thales
    I would recommend LiquidWeb.com which has specials in the dedicated hosting offers forum.

They own their data center, servers are fully managed and include 24/7 ticket and toll free phone support.

Their lowest price machine is a little over your budget but for the peace of mind they offer, it's well worth it.

If you're looking for somethig closer to your geographic region I would check out Netdepot.com.

Looking by your requirements, i guess a good quality VPS will be apt for you...
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

I started with a small reseller account, moved into a VPS and, now, I have a server colocated in a DC nearby. However, with the cost of keeping it there ($320 4U)I finally decided to use the server as a testing/backup box and just get a dedicated server elsewhere. We currently have 32 clients, however we were just "awarded" a contract with a local city, so we're definitely not going with a VPS.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I have narrowed it down to three companies. Hopefully I'll make up my mind in the next few days.

-fin
    Thales

What are your 3 providers?

Clearance Rack, Zenex 5ive and The Planet. I've worked with The Planet before and I've been satisfied, but I've read good things about Zenex 5ive's customer service and support. I'm toying with the idea of Clearance Rack.

-fin
    Thales

ClearanceRack is pretty good. I do a lot of work for Chris. Only problem is, cPanel tends to be a little steep (i think its like $50/mo)

Other then that, he is pretty good.

That's good. I haven't heard much about them, but a test download was BLAZING fast. As far as support goes how would you rate Clearance Servers?

-fin
    Thales

Also, the prices made me a bit wary. Intel Core2Duo E4500 (2.2 GHZ 800 MHZ FSB 2 MB CACHE) / 2GB DDR2 667 MHZ / 500 GB SATA II HD / 1000 GB Bandwidth for $140 with cPanel. $18.67 for the first month, with no contract. Maybe I'm missing something... My big goal is to try someone out, I have until the end of May when my colocation contract is up, I don't want to be locked into a contract.

-fin
    Thales

Chris is always around to answer support questions. If you look closly at the billing, your service is prorated, and he bills on the 1st of every month.

I sent him a few questions. Thanks for the feedback, EvilMan. This dedicated server hunt started out as a blast, but it quickly turned into a boring, repetitive search. Thank God I'm nearing the end.

*EDIT*
    Just received my reply. Apparently he's Out of Office and fielding emails on his Blackberry. Good times. More than likely going to order something tonight. However, let me get an opinion;

Zenex 5ive:
    AMD (Athlon?) 1400, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 100Mbit Port, Unmetered Transter (10TB Cap), cPanel/WHM/Fantastico. Running out of FDC's Data Center. $159.00. I've read that Zenex offers additional server management options, but generally they will help manage things for no additional charge.

Clearance Rack:
    Intel Core2Duo E4500 (2.2 GHZ 800 MHZ FSB 2 MB CACHE) / 2GB DDR2 667 MHZ / 500 GB SATA II HD / 1000 GB Bandwidth (10Mbit port) with cPanel/WHM/Fantastico. $140.00.

Hardware is a no-brainer win to Clearance Rack, Bandwidth goes to Zenex, though Zenex averaged about 320kbps and Clearance Rack averaged 510kbps.

-fin
    Thales
    Last edited by Thales; 04-26-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    Well, if it were a sales question sent to support I'd imagine at most places it would be moved to sales for an answer and not answered until morning either...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Cool

Budget, >$180.00
    [url="http://hostforweb.com/"]HostForWeb/URL] Dual-Core 1.86 P4 w/1GB RAM $149.95, dual HAD's for $69.95 ...no TB bandwidth though, 200MB but a server in your range doesn't match up with a TB of use anyway I have boxes with many local business type customers (more than 30 by far) that don't even break 1,000GB so I can't imagine a TB for 30 local business unless they were BIG businesses.
    These guys (HFW) are deadly reliable, great little/no downtime reputation. Great support for managed-semi managed, Equinix Chicago, in their own cages, and a 4 hour SLA for major hardware failure (motherboard burns out or something else totally unusual) Heard nothing but good and think they would serve what you require well for the money, just not the unrealistic TB for $180.00 extreme overselling there, numbers that just don't work. In that range usually $1,500 maybe 2,000GB
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Cool

Sorry, that was supposed to be $149.95 and dual HDD's for $169.95 2000GB transfer and HostForWeb
    My keyboard & carpal tunnel aren't getting along today

A true TB plus of normally used BW would put you in the over $1,000 mo. range most likely.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    I would recommend LiquidWeb.com which has specials in the dedicated hosting offers forum.

They own their data center, servers are fully managed and include 24/7 ticket and toll free phone support.

Their lowest price machine is a little over your budget but for the peace of mind they offer, it's well worth it.

If you're looking for somethig closer to your geographic region I would check out Netdepot.com.
    Even I would second liquidweb...
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Well, I made the move with Clearance Rack. I'm impressed so far. Literally 5 minutes turn around time, sometimes less, on the inquires I made. Chris was even willing to setup a custom solution for me, quickly, and helped get it ordered. I'm very, very hopeful that this is indicative of the sort of service and support I can expect, if it is the case I'll be writing a full length review by this time next month.

Powernethosting, thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully I can rest now.

Thanks everyone!
    -fin
    Thales

try iweb.com they have decent plans which fits your requirement and budget

Thanks
    rounak
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Well, if it were a sales question sent to support I'd imagine at most places it would be moved to sales for an answer and not answered until morning either...
    That's what we generally do, anything sent to support in a sales capacity from 12AM - 9AM is generally shifted into the sales queue.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.