Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: php nuke ??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    797

    php nuke ??

    what you guys feel about php nuke ?

    I'm starting to like it , but is there a better program out there ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,022
    My client likes it a lot.
    Reyner Natahamidjaja | GIP Networks Inc
    SSAE 16 SOC 2 Type II, HIPAA Audited and PCI Compliant with 24/7 Dedicated Onsite Staff
    Protecting Businesses Against Power Outage and Down Time

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Troy, Missouri USA
    Posts
    1,299
    Have you looked at XOOP?? It is very stable even though it is still pre-release. I still prefer MyPhPnuke as far as the nukes go.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    United kingdom
    Posts
    1,003
    phpNuke is probably the most popular one out there. I've only used it was, but the job was to modify the scripts to suit a client's specification... after working on phpNuke for many days, I now know the whole backend of the system, and it's very impressive the way it's been coded. The module system works really well, especially when you're modifying the scripts for the client and adding new features to it . The other script that you could try is PostNuke, which I've heard is a very good script and a competitor of phpNuke.

    Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,598
    After having used both PHPNuke and PostNuke, I'd highly suggest going with PostNuke!

    Also, unless you plan on using your own theme, there seem to be alot more PostNuke skin/theme sites around these days. Which I suppose would be a plus, for some.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6

    Red face

    PHP and Postnuke, or any other portal related ends are very funny. They all always have the similiar design and feel. Maybe many of its users are just common or they're pretty off schedule to redesign the theme. I felt that the web is about uniqueness. Why would I return to a specific portal if there's many of its twins out there that's the same?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6

    Wink

    msg deleted

  8. #8
    try postnuke Ivan23 and see what you think
    movabletypehost.com / xarayahost.com / tikihost.com : Interested?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=3691760

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    797
    i will , thanks ....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    949
    I've done work on both, I recommend PostNuke.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,815

    * Write your own

    I've found that writing your own cms/news/forums systems is the way to go. It definitely takes some time, but it's yours when it's done. Every nuke/postnuke/xoops site out there seems pretty much identical to me.

    I also find that most people who set up the "portal systems" don't really need it, they need a news script and possibly forums or downloads.

    You also have much more control over the security of your own code.

    Just my .02

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sheffield, South Yorks
    Posts
    3,455
    I'd stay away from phpNuke, we had several sites we host defaced because of holes in phpNuke and it's not fun for the client.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    679
    Originally posted by Shinji01
    PHP and Postnuke, or any other portal related ends are very funny. They all always have the similiar design and feel. Maybe many of its users are just common or they're pretty off schedule to redesign the theme. I felt that the web is about uniqueness. Why would I return to a specific portal if there's many of its twins out there that's the same?
    The same thing goes for bulletin board software. These kinds of web applications that are used a lot by people better have the same interface, bucause it will be easier for the users of one site to navigate throught another one.

    You can, of course, change the colors and general style.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    548

    Re: Write your own

    Originally posted by MDJ2000
    I also find that most people who set up the "portal systems" don't really need it, they need a news script and possibly forums or downloads.
    Out of interest, what news scripts do you recommend?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    797

    Re: Write your own

    Originally posted by MDJ2000
    I've found that writing your own cms/news/forums systems is the way to go. It definitely takes some time, but it's yours when it's done. Every nuke/postnuke/xoops site out there seems pretty much identical to me.

    I also find that most people who set up the "portal systems" don't really need it, they need a news script and possibly forums or downloads.

    You also have much more control over the security of your own code.

    Just my .02
    how you write your own , thats hard i think ...I'm not that new in php but i still have lots to learn ..

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    548

    Re: Re: Write your own

    Originally posted by brookie

    Out of interest, what news scripts do you recommend?
    OK, to answer my own question...

    Fusion news seems quite good (http://www.fusionphp.com/).

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    797

    Re: Re: Re: Write your own

    Originally posted by brookie


    OK, to answer my own question...

    Fusion news seems quite good (http://www.fusionphp.com/).
    that program is great ! I love it ....

    one question... how can i input that into my site ??
    i know can use the following

    <?php
    include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/bayareastreetracing.com/httpdocs/php/mainheader.php");
    ?>

    how can input the whole thing to the site , to where if click on the news users can still see my template ?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    67
    I 've tried both phpNuke and Postnuke, Personally I believe that the second is far beyond.

    The only problem I see is that their structure is so complex that you have to study it weeks in order to add a function that it doesn't already exists.

    Finally I decide to redesign a forum (xmbforum) and make it a news-articles post, forum, chat, private message site.

  19. #19

    -

    I agree with the whole 'do it yourself' thing.. if you know how to program, make the application yourself. Don't leave it down to someone else putting in tons of features that.. really.. you don't need! Specially goes for Bulletin Boards / Message Forums like this one that you need to sign up for. I'll probably never visit this one again after today..

    PHP is so easy to work with.
    Think of a feature.
    Go to www.php.net
    Do a short search to find the feature.
    Intergrate it into your script!

    Think of another feature..

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    548

    Re: Re: Re: Re: Write your own

    Originally posted by Ivan23


    one question... how can i input that into my site ??
    i know can use the following

    <?php
    include ("/home/httpd/vhosts/bayareastreetracing.com/httpdocs/php/mainheader.php");
    ?>

    how can input the whole thing to the site , to where if click on the news users can still see my template ?
    I think you should be including the news.txt file in your page:

    PHP Code:
    <?php
    include("news.txt");
    ?>

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    797

    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Write your own

    Originally posted by brookie


    I think you should be including the news.txt file in your page:

    PHP Code:
    <?php
    include("news.txt");
    ?>

    thanks

  22. #22

    * < -- new to php

    i dont know where to start writing php code....

    but i really want to phpnuke looking site ... can anyone pust me in the right direction is there like a step by step howto?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    548

    Re: < -- new to php

    Originally posted by networkfreek
    i dont know where to start writing php code....

    but i really want to phpnuke looking site ... can anyone pust me in the right direction is there like a step by step howto?
    http://www.phpbuilder.com/

    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/programming/php/

  24. #24
    thanks for the great links!!!

    see now this is what i like about forums!!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Among the corn
    Posts
    10,692
    Originally posted by Synthetic
    After having used both PHPNuke and PostNuke, I'd highly suggest going with PostNuke!

    Also, unless you plan on using your own theme, there seem to be alot more PostNuke skin/theme sites around these days. Which I suppose would be a plus, for some.
    Unfortunately, I'd suggest just the opposite.
    I've had bad bad bad experiences with PN, because of various functions not working correctly. In one case (when i began comparing the two), the admin page for PN refused to come up, or let me in, gave me some junk about permissions (it wasn't the password, it was the script itself),and it kept coming up repeatedly.

    While PHP-Nuke's not very good with releases (I've generally had to go through and correct quite a few bugs with his releases), and he's about demanding with copyrights (3 places in some pages he wants his name, minimum 2 in all), it's still great code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •