Thread: Cost

Cost

Hi guys,

I need a little advice billing a customer.

They want me to develop a script to find webpages with certain keywords. They then want me to contact these webmasters and arrange putting something on their site.
    I have no problem building the software but they want a quote for what it would cost. I would need to contact about 300 websites via email and possibly then phone.

I normally only charge a monthly fee for my work so this has me a bit stumped.

It is a medium sized company that are trying to advertise a service, any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

Quote Originally Posted by Doyley View Post
    Hi guys,

I need a little advice billing a customer.

They want me to develop a script to find webpages with certain keywords. They then want me to contact these webmasters and arrange putting something on their site.
    I have no problem building the software but they want a quote for what it would cost. I would need to contact about 300 websites via email and possibly then phone.

I normally only charge a monthly fee for my work so this has me a bit stumped.

It is a medium sized company that are trying to advertise a service, any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
    If they want a programmer and a sales person, then be both and charge them for both. On the programming side, charge them however you do for normal software development. On the sales side, charge them two ways: X amount for each contact that you make, and Y% for an actual sales commission.

Good advice, Folsom. And don't be afraid to set that commission percentage way high. They're asking you to take some serious risk of your time... and if you're a programmer, like me, you're probably not a good salesman, like me.