Lightbulb Download speed test for Australia/New Zealand

Hi, i just wrote a nice little page on the best location in the US for a VPS server for my Australian and New Zealand customers, i hope some people here might find it useful:

www.webbox.org/9xj66

I noticed in your write-up you said that you could have done it from singapore except it might be slower.

Would you like me to help you test? You will need to let me know what to do. My benefit to you is that I am now in Singapore.

Regarding the results of your tests, whereabouts in Australia (Perth? Sydney?)and New Zealand (Auckland? Christchurch?) was the test initiated? I am not certain if the difference is significant but it will be good to know.

Anyway thanks for your report.

Hi, a download speed test to Singapore from US would be similar to the AU/NZ test. I suspect it would be a little bit fastest. Also one download test is not enough to get an average.

The whereabouts of the AU customers varied from Brisbane to Perth. Most NZ customers were in Auckland, I suspect this is where all the NZ people live.

singapore <--> brisbane approx 3800 miles
    singapore <--> auckland approx 5200 miles

if the speeds are similar (?) from states to singapore and states to brisbane, auckland, then singapore's connection could not be very efficient. I wonder if such an impression is correct.

i did a ping from singapore to softlayer, rackspace and it is in the region of 240 to 250 nms. I do not know much about assessing network speeds but i suppose it will be around that time from australia to them too (?)

PS: for me as a layman, i interpret it as equivalent in speed to host a website from australia to states as singapore to states. This opens up a new door of understanding to me as a number of singapore and hongkong hosts do not permit ssh access. My ping to singapore hosts internally is around 11 nms, to hongkong is 42 nms and to australia sydney is 150 nms. Not sure if such methods are useful gauges but if you want to experiment, count me in. Cheers.

Hi,

I really know the situation, as sell VPS in Singapore, Sydney and Seattle. The ping time and speed really depends on the network you are doing the tests, it's not always the same. From our data center in Sydney, we have 160ms to one of our data center in Singapore (pacific internet all the way), and 105 to another (asianetcom all the way). Don't take one test as a rule, this is simply not enough, you need to tell about what network is used to connect. Use something like "mtr" that is a very good tool (better than then standard traceroute).

From Sydney (still in the same data center), we can ping to Los Angeless in less than 170ms (pacific internet then level3), and 185ms to Seattle (asianetcom then level3).

So yes, Singapore IS closer to australia, and also, it must be a little faster to download. So if you are in Australia and want to avoid the big costs of bandwidth in there, then Singapore is really an option to consider.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

I was browsing through Future Hosting and they had a marvellous page on network timings which was quite interesting to say the list.

Refer to: http://futurehosting.biz/PublicNetworkStatus.php

For example, connections to Seattle:

Australia (Brisbane) avg ping: 198.3
    Australia (Sydney) avg ping: 183.7
    NZ (Auckland) avg ping: 172.5
    China (Hongkong) avg ping: 222.5
    China (Beijing) avg ping: 240.6
    Singapore avg ping: 185.2

It would appear to me that to host a site in the East to Seattle,
    1st New Zealand,
    2nd Australia (Sydney),
    3rd Singapore,
    4th Australia (Brisbane),
    5th HongKong.

Note: the Futurehosting site appears to refresh every time i click on it. I did not realize it earlier and thus amended this post about 5 times wondering why the figures are different The time for the above was taken on 13:13 04/27/2008.

Note #1: my own ping to australia (crucial.com.au) is 144 nms, hongkong (icdsoft.com) 48 nms, servint.net 265 nms, solarvps.com 290 nms, futurehosting.biz 231 nms.

Note #2: within singapore, my ping to skydio.com, limebox.com.sg, cybersite.com.sg is 11 nms. A London to London ping is only 3 nms!
    Last edited by IsaacHeng; 04-27-2008 at 01:37 PM.

My own interpretation of the results would be:

(1) Worldwide market

US webhost + NZ/Australia webhost

(2) States and Europe markets

US webhost

(3) China market

HK

(4) Eastern market

Australia/NZ

(5) Singapore-China market

HongKong or Singapore based host

It will be interesting to hear the views of the experienced web hosting companies.

PS: I came into this discussion wondering if a US webhost is appropriate for me. All things considered I think it is. Sorry to post so much in your thread mshepard. Your post is a most interesting one.

Hi,

Once again, your assumptions are wrong and you'd have to consider what kind of network provider you are connected to.

I live in Shanghai, and I had many experiences connecting to Singapore and HK. For some network providers, it goes by USA and come back to HK. For our own network, it was sometimes the case, then we had one of our network providers that started to peer with PCCW, then the connections got a way better (less than 110ms, up to 210 KB/s which is the max of my ADSL).

Same thing apply for ALL places, you cannot only say "hosting in this place is good" if you don't consider what kind of network carrier.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Those data given are objective facts.

But if you feel that you have better data which are based on correct assumptions, by all means post and enlighten us. As you havee experiental knowledge, it would be easy for you to do likewise. A detailed connection data such as those given by Future Hosting would be good.

Otherwise it becomes a matter of 'don't even think about it - you do not know your carrier therefore you have no basis for decision-making'

Which is not a good alternative by any standards
    Last edited by IsaacHeng; 04-28-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Hi,

You missread me. I'm not saying I'm god and that I have all the knowledge of the world. My post is just trying to push people to use things like traceroute (tracert under windows) or even better, mtr (there is a winmtr too...). These very small tools are available for everyone, and are quite easy to use.

Thomas

mtr is an excellent tool and does tell you more than a benchmark. VisualRoute is also excellent (and very pretty
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth