Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    1,235

    Want to get on first page on Search Engines

    Hello,

    I want to get on top on google or yahoo. Are there companies who can offer this service? Are they scams? They truly work? How much can I expect to pay?
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Thomas, Kentucky
    Posts
    269
    SEO Consultants has a great list of SEO's in your area.
    Jaan Kanellis | iNET Interactive

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SEO cyberspace
    Posts
    423
    Yes thats true but I always wonder why people (and directories like SEO consultants) consider location as a factor in choosing an SEO.

    SEO can be done just as effectively from the middle of the Mongolian desert as from downtown New York, provided of course that you can get a good satellite signal and have good dustproofing on your laptop.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    274
    People like to localize because typically, the website owners need a lot of hand holding to understand SEO as a whole. Therefore, these site owners choose to go local for person to person conversation and brain picking.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,179
    If it is not a secret: how much could this cost (raising website from nowhere to 1 page)?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SEO cyberspace
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by HostingDeals View Post
    People like to localize because typically, the website owners need a lot of hand holding to understand SEO as a whole. Therefore, these site owners choose to go local for person to person conversation and brain picking.
    Yes its true that some (not all) website owners need a lot of hand holding but I don't find it inconvenient to do that via SKYPE and it has the added advantage that all of my date is readily available, not just what I packed for a customer visit.
    Last edited by Melnel; 04-25-2008 at 04:59 AM.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SEO cyberspace
    Posts
    423
    No the cost is not exactly a secret but this is one of those cases where there are a very large number of imponderables:
    The sites initial popularity will to a large part depend on its rankings which in turn will depend on its popularity.

    SEO alone is IMO not the best route to get a new site ranking well, you need to create a buzz among the community you are targeting and thats a bit outside normal SEO parameters.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    58
    SEO alone will not get you rank 1 on search engines, you need link backs from other highly ranked websites, and most importantly imo content. The more content you have the more visitors you get, the more recommendations you get, the higher rank you get.

  9. #9
    There is a difference between "getting links", many of which may not have any effect on ranking, and getting links that will boost your rank. Targeted link building is within the normal scope of SEO, in my opinion.

    The cost of getting to page one varies wildly, depending on the competitiveness of the niche and/or the technical savvy of the leading sites within the niche.

    SEO can be done from anywhere, but local is best because it's easier to take legal recourse if you get ripped off (because there are a LOT of bad SEOs).
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SEO cyberspace
    Posts
    423
    IMO if you are going into SEO with the idea fixed in your head that you are going to be dealing with a bunch of ripoffs then its better not to do it at all, but there is no reason to have such preconceptions if you take a bit of time, learn what really needs to be done and do a bit of research before you engage an SEO.

    If you are going to rely only on the salesman;s word when you buy a used car you just may get ripped off (and you may not) but if you do a bit of investigation and learn which used car lots are dependable you will be lot better off.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    269
    I would suggest that you hire a freelancer. First, it would be way cheaper than hiring a company and second, the freelancer will spend more time working on your project compared to companies which usually have many clients and deal with several projects at the same time.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    268
    Hi, there are many SEO companies on the web claiming to be professionals at getting websites reaching top positions in the major search engines.

    You need to check out some of them and contact them to find out which one of them is the one great for your projects.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    Hello,

    I want to get on top on google or yahoo. Are there companies who can offer this service? Are they scams? They truly work? How much can I expect to pay?
    Well, to be able to get good results from Google and Yahoo you need an SEO Expert that is honest and intelligent. If you have high budget you can go to SEO companies but if you want more reliable and affordable you can hire an SEO freelancer.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,179
    And where can I get honest SEO freelancer? How much (approximatelt) can it cost?
    "Google for honest seo freelancer" - sorry, not an option.

  15. #15
    how is it determined as to who gets on the first page of pages such as google?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonyM View Post
    how is it determined as to who gets on the first page of pages such as google?
    You search on the keyword you optimized for to see if you are on top of the SERP in Google or Yahoo.

    There is no real guarantee SEO providers can put you on top at a specified time frame moreso if you are eyeing for top keywords in your niche. It takes time - a long period of time to be able to see the results of it
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SEO cyberspace
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonyM View Post
    how is it determined as to who gets on the first page of pages such as google?
    Its a combination of several things on your website pages which add up to create a relevancy ranking, but, in the case of Google, more emphasis is placed on relevant anchor text links.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

  18. #18
    Here i explain tips : Submit To Web will manually hand submit your site to the following major search engines: Yahoo (which also powers AltaVista, HotBot, AlltheWeb, MSN and others) and Google (which also powers AOL). Note that Yahoo no longer accepts automated submissions, so do not get fooled by some other companies claiming they will include Yahoo with their automated software
    check:

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Thomas, Kentucky
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by allwebsitetraffic View Post
    Here i explain tips : Submit To Web will manually hand submit your site to the following major search engines: Yahoo (which also powers AltaVista, HotBot, AlltheWeb, MSN and others) and Google (which also powers AOL). Note that Yahoo no longer accepts automated submissions, so do not get fooled by some other companies claiming they will include Yahoo with their automated software
    check:
    Your joking right? You have not had to submit to a search engine in close to 6 years.
    Jaan Kanellis | iNET Interactive

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    272

    Bad experience with howtodoseo.com

    I have used howtodoseo.com and am not satisfied. The agreement was that I had to pay $ 200 a month for six months to get my search phrases (8) in top ten at Google or they would work for free after the six months until the search phrases got in top 10. After six months, only one search phrase was in top ten and four of the eight not even in Google.

    Suddenly I did not receive the weekly load report anymore so I emailed them several times. First after one month where I wrote to cancel the agreement and said that I would be telling others that their company was a scam they reacted. They told me that they had been moving their office and therefore was not able to reply??? I said that I wanted 50% of my money back since they obviously was not able to do the work they had promised and the person I wrote with agreed and that I should email the payment details. I did so but got now response for a long time. First, when I again say that I would tell others about my experience he reacted. Now he had been talking to his partner and I could only get $ 200 back because of the work they had been doing and that they have got one of my search phrases in top ten??? I wrote back and told that it was not acceptable.

    Under no circumstance can I recommend howtodoseo.com. It seems to me that it is a small company not able to do real SEO work and a possible scam or fraud.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Xana View Post
    I have used howtodoseo.com and am not satisfied. The agreement was that I had to pay $ 200 a month for six months to get my search phrases (8) in top ten at Google or they would work for free after the six months until the search phrases got in top 10. After six months, only one search phrase was in top ten and four of the eight not even in Google.

    Suddenly I did not receive the weekly load report anymore so I emailed them several times. First after one month where I wrote to cancel the agreement and said that I would be telling others that their company was a scam they reacted. They told me that they had been moving their office and therefore was not able to reply??? I said that I wanted 50% of my money back since they obviously was not able to do the work they had promised and the person I wrote with agreed and that I should email the payment details. I did so but got now response for a long time. First, when I again say that I would tell others about my experience he reacted. Now he had been talking to his partner and I could only get $ 200 back because of the work they had been doing and that they have got one of my search phrases in top ten??? I wrote back and told that it was not acceptable.

    Under no circumstance can I recommend howtodoseo.com. It seems to me that it is a small company not able to do real SEO work and a possible scam or fraud.
    $200 for 8 key phrases and six months? They still couldn't do it?

    Sounds fishy!
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    272
    They did mostly link building. The only on site SEO was to change the title for 8 pages.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Xana View Post
    They did mostly link building. The only on site SEO was to change the title for 8 pages.
    What made you hire this company? You don't seems someone who doesn't know anything about SEO, next time when hiring companies, keep these notes in mind.

    Bye the way, if you don't mind. Can you PM me those key phrases? I'd like to look into it.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    7
    how much does this service usually cost?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by phphosts View Post
    how much does this service usually cost?
    It depends on your website market, the more competition there is, the more high price SEO's would charge you.

    Most SEO's charge per keyword/keyphrase, most of them charge an hour. Prices depends on the competition of the keyword.

    You can check the competition of the keyword by simply searching the keyword in Google and see the number of result you get. The more, the harder.

    Here is example.

    You can say Zafar Ahmed has no competition
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    272
    What do you use for finding the right search phrases? Wordtracker? KEI?
    Last edited by pesnax; 05-29-2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: layout

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Xana View Post
    What do you use for finding the right search phrases? Wordtracker? KEI?
    I use a combination of Google Suggest, Keyword Discovery, and Quintura. All of which help me formulate the over all relevance and popularity of a given key word or phrase. But, also look into what phrases and words are already driving traffic to your site. If you are already being found for phrases, working on moving up the stack in the SERPs maybe that much more impactful.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Thomas, Kentucky
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Xana View Post
    What do you use for finding the right search phrases? Wordtracker? KEI?
    a. Wordtracker and keyword Discovery
    b. Browsed through the clients website and add keywords you think are relevant.
    c. Use Google Analytics and raw logs data to help establish keywords.
    d. Use the Google AdWords tools to cherry pick for the organic campaign.
    e. Use competitive analysis tools like Compete.com and Spyfu.com
    Jaan Kanellis | iNET Interactive

  29. #29
    costs depend on what you are trying to rank for. Depends on competition and how many searches the keyword gets.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SEO cyberspace
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed View Post
    It depends on your website market, the more competition there is, the more high price SEO's would charge you.

    Most SEO's charge per keyword/keyphrase, most of them charge an hour. Prices depends on the competition of the keyword.

    You can check the competition of the keyword by simply searching the keyword in Google and see the number of result you get. The more, the harder.

    Here is example.

    You can say Zafar Ahmed has no competition
    Sorry Zafar but I have to disagree with this. While some SEOs may charge by the keyword or by the hour MOST do not.

    Checking the competiveness of a keyphrase by the number of results you get in The SERP went out about ...oh...say 1995. Using that technique today is a great way to miss opportunities in some cases and land you in trouble in others.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SEO cyberspace
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by phphosts View Post
    how much does this service usually cost?
    That's a difficult question to answer - akin to asking how long is a piece of string.

    But for general guidelines for geo-targeted phrases with little traffic you can get by for under $500, but for terms that have the potential to drive hundreds of visitors to your site daily it's going to be much steeper that that, with prices easily going above $25,000.

    But generalizations can be costly in the SEO world, and part of the job of any good SEO is to find good traffic terms which you can rank for and still stay within your budget.

    My advice is to first of all find a competent, honest and economical SEO. Impossible? Not really - as in most cases bad news travels much faster than good and the horror stories of SEO ripoffs tend to get sensationalized while an outstanding job will get no press at all.

    Most SEOs you can find through searches or recommendations will be happy to look at your site and give you an estimate of what it will cost and how long it will take. If they are not willing to do this forget them and move on to someone else.

    Compare the offers you get and research the ones you like a bit more carefully and ask those you are interested in pointed questions about what it is they are going to do and why.

    Get a signed contract which covers you adequately (if they are not willing to give you a contract once again drop them!) and if you are still worried about ripoffs make sure that you have a clause that states that any legal proceedings will be conducted in a jurisdiction of your choice.

    I would never recommend going to "freelancers", if by that term people mean sourcing from places like Dice. Any good SEO will have lots of business without going to such places which offer SEO for $129 etc. Professionals who make their living have the experience and resources that freelancers are mostly lacking.

    Don't fall for the sucker trap of "My nephew is a bright lad and knows all about computers - he could do it for you". He may be bright but the chances of him getting rankings for anything besides mom n pop terms are nil.

    You can also go to any of the several SEO forums such as this one where a number of SEOs will be posting and judge their ability by what they post.
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    14
    Melnel's advice to avoid posting on job boards such as Dice and avoiding the bright nephew is high on my list of good advice.

    Good freelance SEO consultants are found through word of mouth (forums are not a bad place to ask if you have had good experience with one). I learned SEO by a combination of self-learning (trial and error), reading tutorials both free and subscription based, and by talking with colleagues in the web world on what has seemed to work for them. SEO is a highly fluid field. Google and others seem to change their algorithms frequently so what worked last month to improve rankings may not be as effective, or even fail, this month.

    When you do find a candidate make sure they devote at least 50% of their time to SEO because in this business exposure and experience produce results.
    Racing River Website Solutions ... design, hosting, SEO
    www.racingriverwebs.com

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by maniakaz View Post
    If it is not a secret: how much could this cost (raising website from nowhere to 1 page)?
    there's no way to answer this question without knowing your keywords, because the effort it will take depends on the strength of your competition ...

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    9
    A niche is all you need and targeting the right keywords.. do your homework folks

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSources View Post
    A niche is all you need and targeting the right keywords.. do your homework folks
    There's more to it than just finding a niche and optimising for your keywords. Hardwork, perserverance, SEO knowledge and patience are just some other factors involved.
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO

  36. #36
    Alot of this depends on the keywords you are trying to rank well for. The more competition the more cost.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •