Anyone with a Dell Laptop?

Well I ordered a new XPS M1530 on the 20th. Shipping arrival is not until the 19th of next month! I thought that was way absurd and I ordered this for an emergency backup... Not happy about that.

Specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800MHzFSB, 6M L2 Cache)
    4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
    15.4 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ TrueLife LCD with 2.0 MP Camera
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    250G 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive
    Vista Premium (bleh!)

Comes with a 3 year on-site warranty which...it's nice to be on the receiving end for once!

Total cost was right around $1600

Well I am just hoping it turns out to be a nice machine. So far I am not happy with the late ship time and Dells India based support which can't do a thing for you except read from a script.

Yes I have a Dell laptop as well. Its not an XPS though since our work wouldn't like it. We didn't pay for ours so we got a non-XPS dell and upgrade it to the max came about 3K. Its so sweet though + having a dedicated verizon internet I can anywhere without much lag. I was recently in PA and had about 100 ping playing on a CS. Not bad for wireless internet access if they had any better though I would pay for it.

I think Dell tells you that it'll take 4 weeks, so that you'll be really happy when it takes 2.

I went through the same thing a couple months ago. The XPS would have been worth a 4 week wait though.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten24Host View Post
    Well I ordered a new XPS M1530 on the 20th. Shipping arrival is not until the 19th of next month! I thought that was way absurd and I ordered this for an emergency backup... Not happy about that.
    Did any of your specs say something like, "May cause shipping delays"?

I actually ordered a Vostro 1500 last week Wednesday and I received it yesterday. I am pretty happy with the time it took for mine to get here.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience though.
    I support the Human Rights Campaign - http://www.hrc.org/

Equal Love - Marriage Equality for All - Freedom to Marry

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Did any of your specs say something like, "May cause shipping delays"?

I actually ordered a Vostro 1500 last week Wednesday and I received it yesterday. I am pretty happy with the time it took for mine to get here.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience though.
    Yes but I did not notice it in that little tiny box until I went back after I ordered it to check pricing configs. Thing is the option was the default option for the 1440x900 res screen.

Shipping arrival is not until the 19th of next month!
    It'll be shipped before then. I've found that lately dell gives a really long estimate, but usually actually ships the product a couple of weeks earlier. I just ordered 2 systems april 10th. they said they'd be shipped may 5th. I got both of them last week.

Normally they ship early... I'm typing on a 1520 right now that I purchased late last year... it shipped early.

Dell makes some nice machines... I used to be an HP man.. lol
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ten24Host View Post
    Thing is the option was the default option for the 1440x900 res screen.
    That is the screen I have.... it is nothing but pure sweetness...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Dell is normally a lot faster. I have bought a lot of them both for business and for my wife and one of my daughters. What you bought however is NOT a normal stock laptop. The entire XPS line is a high end line and naturally will take longer. I suspect it will be 3 weeks to get that if not longer.

What are you using that laptop for?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Sometimes Dell ships earlier, sometimes even later. My Dell M1530 several months ago was delayed over a week beyond the scheduled ship date, so no, I wouldn't take it as an automatic given that it will ship before. On the other hand, an Inspiron desktop I just ordered, claimed it would take 2 weeks to ship, and in fact shipped today, 1 day after being ordered.

Dell's business model is such that they do not stock a tremendous amount of parts so this is usually how the delays occur.

In terms of support, XPS support is actually a lot better than non XPS support - XPS has it's own dedicated team.

I'm pretty happy with mine M1530, one thing I can note, is the darn fingerprint reader is absolutely terrible! I compared it with an HP laptop with a fingerprint reader and it was like night and day. Dell's fingerprint reader barely was able to read my fingers as well as my friends.

Other than that it's pretty solid. Hope your not plagued by delays