Thread: Host Gator?

Host Gator?

Are they any good? please share your experiences

Pound for pound there are probably more existing Hostgator threads here than any other host... search around and you'll find plenty. I have used them a few times and yes, I think they are good... the page loads were fast, the support was good and the price was low for the value given. If shared hosting is adequate for your sites and their plans and policies fit your needs you'll do well to go with them.

I've had a few accounts with HostGator and I loved the service they provided me. Their servers are pretty fast, their prices are affordable, and their support is usually fast and efficient. I would recommend them 100%.

HostGator has been around for quite some time now.
    Honestly, theres been more positive review about them then negative so overall I believe most people are satisfied with their service.

As someone suggested, if you read around the forums, you'll see a lot of posts about them.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Host Gator has tens of thousands of customers, yet you rarely see negative reviews. However, if you researched a few smaller companies, you'll see many more negative reviews. If Host Gator can keep that many people happy, they must be doing something right.

Perhaps one thing one must do when it comes to researching HG on this board, is to actually read the threads concerning them. The beginning of the thread is not always representative for the end.

To expand on what dwrunyon said, if your needs (especially CPU and memory related) are within what ~$10 can cover, you should be fine with them. I can't speak about all their servers, but based on my experience you can expect 99.9% yearly uptime.

If you're unsure of what your needs are, share some details regarding your site(s) (page views, scripts you're using), and some of the more experienced people here should be able to make an educated guess on whether you'll be fine in a shared hosting environment or not.

Whatever provider you decide to go with, it's always a wise idea to ask them directly if your usage is likely to cause trouble in the hosting environment you're planning to use.

HostGator has been really fantastic for me with the reseller account I have with them. I haven't had too many issues with my account and the uptime has been really great for me.

As others have suggested, you may want to do a search on this forum with HostGator and select Titles Only. That will give you a good month of reading. LOL
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

Personally I feel there the BEST hosting out at the moment, good price, good uptime, good resources, there overselling but there box isn't "Overcrowded" if you get what I mean. They have a fantastic business model and there support is great. PM me if you want one my chat transcripts from them as I save them all.

You can't beat what you get for your money with them, but if you are running CPU intensive scripts or large databases you might want to think twice about their shared servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
    You can't beat what you get for your money with them, but if you are running CPU intensive scripts or large databases you might want to think twice about their shared servers.
    If that was the case, all shared options would be out of the question.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    It should be out of the question on oversold servers.

Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    I disagree. HostGator is definitely one of the more stable/reliable oversellers. However, just because a script might be using too much CPU on HostGator's shared servers does not mean that all shared options would be out of the question.
    Last edited by Orien; 04-25-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    I disagree. HostGator is definitely one of the more stable/reliable oversellers. However, just because a script might be using too much CPU on HostGator's shared servers does not mean that all shared options would be out of the question.
    I was merely speculating that with large databases and resource intensive scripts, a shared environment would not be suitable as the overall performance would suffer. thats all.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.

Hostgator is excellent to some and horrible to the others.
    It depends on how you use their service.

You have to compare apple to apple. If you compare them with the other oversellers, they are good.

I would suggest you to search for their legitimate reviews at
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Hostgator are a good host and their overselling is controlled.

Hostgator is excellent to some and horrible to the others.
    It depends on how you use their service.
    As any web hosting service... I believe that it is quite difficult to provide ideal web hosting service for everyone. But I must admit they have thouthands of happy customers.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.