Windows Server 2003 AD / DNS Issue

Hello WHT,

We have two Windows Server 2003 machines as active directory controllers and DNS servers for our in-house operations. For our purposes, let's say the domain name is example.com. Both servers have DNS, and example.com is stored in Active Directory to allow us to use the benefits this provides. Our issue is probably simple, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Let's call server one EX1, and server two EX2. These have local IPs of 192.168.1.111 and 192.168.1.112, respectively.

We want example.com to be resolved to an external IP address (for web hosting), let's say 1.2.3.4. The problem is, the two domain controllers keep registering example.com with their internal IP addresses .111 and .112, so the DNS round-robins between 1.2.3.4 and the two internal servers, which aren't web servers.

Is there a way we can get those DNS controllers to stop registering their internal IPs as example.com?

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,
    Martin Schultz
    ChatVisual.com
    We don't make the internet. We make it work.

I'll start off by saying using the same Active Directory domain on the inside as the outside is a very bad idea, you should use .local or .int.domain.com internally. This won't be the first issue you run into so I'd suggest picking up the rendom tool and renaming your domain to something more practical.

You can then create your external zone in DNS and it won't be affected, or you could even host it on external DNS servers.

You can stop clients registering themselves in DNS, but you can't stop domain controllers for the obvious reason that if they don't register your machines won't be able to find the DC and won't be able to authenticate.

In addition remember that the A record at the root of the domain MUST without exception point to the DC's or your entire AD forest will break.

Dan