What people look for

I have found that whilst running my business over the last 4 years that you have 2 types of people looking for hosting:

- Budget: People looking for as much resources as they can whilst paying as little as possible. They generally don't care about service / support quality. These users are generally the people that require the most support and help running their website.

- Normal: People or Businesses looking for stable, reliable web hosts. These are the people most web hosts target because they are willing to pay any price as long as they are guaranteed a secure, reliable service and have friendly, helpful support at their disposal. They usually only require minimal support as they usually have technical staff to help them anyway.

The sad fact however is that many web hosts try and compete on price. And if you are a small web hosting company you will loose every time. If you provide a friendly, helpful service your best method of gaining new customers is word of mouth.

I hope this helps any new starters I know it has helped my business develop over the past few years.

Kind Regards
    Chris Priestland
    Host Centric
    www.host-centric.co.uk
    Host Centric is part of the JMF Group which has been provisioning web hosting since 2003

Very wise observations you've made, there!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Your post tells the absolute truth!

The best thing in the webhosting business is to have customers who think you are a wonderful secret that they share with their friends. So each time someone gets ripped off or hurt by a bad host your customer will say "Oh, I use this great company..."
    Sunwave Communications
    http://www.sunwave.com/
    Safety - Service - Economy

Quote Originally Posted by Luxore View Post
    The best thing in the webhosting business is to have customers who think you are a wonderful secret that they share with their friends. So each time someone gets ripped off or hurt by a bad host your customer will say "Oh, I use this great company..."
    You just can't buy advertising that is as good as the free word-of-mouth you get from happy customers.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

I agree with your post. I noticed this myself!