Other cheap hostings besides dreamhost

I got into a problem with dreamhost...

Because I used a lot of CPU I moved to PS thinking that I can always go back to regular server once I optimized things up...

I am not allowed to go back due to various changing reasons.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...78#post5077278

Basically I use the same program to run on 200 websites...

I just need a way to be able to update those sites as quickly as possible. Either I need a regular cpanel hosting that allow me SSH and do mass copy of codes or I need a dreamhost like where all the bandwidth are pulled
    Last edited by hardjoko; 04-24-2008 at 08:47 AM.

what exactly will you be hosting?
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

domains...

I'm sorry for the confusion but I was just merely asking what the content will be.

Like what script exactly will you be running? I think a bit more information is needed for anyone to give you an accurate idea of what you actually need.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.

Make sure you read the tos and aup of the new host clearly and make sure their plan well suits what your website needs. Otherwise it can lead to the current situation.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

I pmed you some sample domains..

Dreamhost TOS says:
    If your processes are adversely affecting server performance disproportionately DreamHost Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the offending processes.

However my processes are far from adversely affecting server performance. All I ask is just 1-2 days in regular server to proof I am right.

The support person, John never allowed it. In fact, they may have allowed it. I may have gone back to regular server (when I go to panel it looks like I am back to regular server). Things are working fine... But then recently I am back to PS

Looks to me John is afraid that by allowing me to go back to regular server and see that my sites are performing so well then everyone will know that he is wrong. That's why he's coming up with more and more other reasons...

I asked how many CPU minutes I am currently using, how to interpret the graph, no reply. He just dodged answering those.

I think with that kind of faith and motives to keep me in PS, no amount of proof will be enough to change his mind.
    Last edited by hardjoko; 04-24-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    I'm sorry for the confusion but I was just merely asking what the content will be.

Like what script exactly will you be running? I think a bit more information is needed for anyone to give you an accurate idea of what you actually need.
    I am sorry for the confusion too.. I do plan to host domains...

You see, I am a domain parkers... However, rather than just parking straight to the domain parking, I host the site and then I redirect to the domain parking.

Hosting it will allow me to target misspelling, and various languages in SEO. It will also allows me redirect based on countries...

Actually I can also host directly at the domain parking companies. But then I cannot redirect based on countries... Domain parking, for example, pays a lot US EU traffics but low for PPC...

Hosting straight on parking companies can make me lost far more money than dreamhost extra charge....

If I have a hosting where I will temporarily host my domains it'll be great...

If dreamhost isn't letting you host, you're going to need a VPS or dedicated.
    Dreamhost has a history of being one of the most flexible shared hosts out there.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Yes. They were flexible. When my CPU usage reached 14000 seconds per day they don't complaint. Then I did the stupid thing... I choose PS.

At that time the server was unstable but it's mainly due to their data center problem which they admitted. However, I moved anyway thinking that it'll be easy to move back once I got more efficient.

Now CPU usage is 1400 seconds per day... They didn't allow me to get in because I am supposedly use so much memory that their Apache allocate to anticipate hit...

I ask that the apache process is cap at 5 but till now I still see 12-30 sleeping apache process each of which take 33 M of memory...

i thought it was just a simple script for parked domains. why is it so resource intensive?
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.

How much bandwidth would you be looking at using?

I had no idea parked domains could use so much RAm / CPU cycles?

As another suggested, you may be required to move up into a VPS or dedicated if Dreamhost won't allow you.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

make sure your host will tolerate the content of the site that is listed in your sig. Some take issue with topics that are hurtful to Women and Gays
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

It's not resources intensive. On average I am using 1400 CPU seconds per day...

The memory usage are huge. But that's because dreamhost has this feature where as long as there are still memory available dhapache will create a sleeping process to anticipate hit.

I think it means well. If there are idle memory, why not use it? That way they can serve websites more effectively. So dreamhost apache allocate far more memory than what my sites are actually needed. Each of which are in sleeping process.

I think on average I am using 400-450MB memory, based on this graph.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1...xcgilp2.th.png

The techie then use that memory usage is then used to justify that I shouldn't go back to regular server (arguing that they don't want to spend 1G of memory for me and so on).

I argued strongly against it that I am not really using that much memory... Looks like the techie is already fed up with my arguments.

I forget that even if dreamhost is wrong (a medium size if), they have a right to be wrong. It's their server after all.

Also I, as now, cannot find a suitable competitors. Even with that ps the price is still competitive.

Of course, without PS, dreamhost reseller account is far more lucrative.

That being said, any other good host besides dreamhost and hostgator. Looks like I will need it now due to my bad diplomacy.
    Last edited by hardjoko; 04-27-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Ups the graph is this http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ndexcgilp2.png. The orange ones are the memory that doesn't go down much below half because dhapache will keep allocating memory as long as there are more than half of memory available.

If you ever use Dreamhost, make sure the techie is Joshua. He's very good. I am very satisfied with him.

There are other good techies too in dreamhost, I am sure. However, some are bad. And dreamhost sometimes have this policy where they assign you to a specific techie that can be your worst nightmare.

So, if you sign up for dreamhost and ask for anything, please ask to get helped by Joshua or someone he recommend. I'll give other list of good techies soon. I won't bother talking about the bad ones.

I think this is not possible at all times. If you are choosy with particular person, your response and resolution time may go high.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.