Question Need help deciding (DDoS protection or not?)

Is bound to happen to my server one day or another (get attacked). So I need help deciding whether to get a DDoS protection server now or later. Or pay as I go (I'll explain this in a bit).

First of all I am considering getting this because I want to use this server to hide the real source where people are downloading from. People connect only through FTP server and download. Of course if I give the real IP away I am subject to attack at anytime from anyone.

I think if I buy a server somewhere else and have people connect to there then that server will connect to the real server if I was to get attacked the server I bought "somewhere" else would only get attacked which would or would not be protected by a that special company who protects for these kind of things.

Only downside so far is I have been able to have the method above done. A person connects from one server which connects to the real server they will be downloading from BUT I use up to 2x bandwidth. Because when someone requests a file from server A...server B sends to server A then sends back to the user requesting it. A process that well works but anyone know if instead of sending back to Server A it will go directly to the user without exposing any info on the real server?

When I meant "pay as you go" I mean have a server with a DDoS protection company but don't get any protection until it happens rather than waiting on the last minute before switching to them (like adding new users now but those users knowing the real source).

These "users" downloading do about 106GB average. So you can see how big a downside is having to use 2x of bandwidth from the method I know above. The companies I am on do not have DDoS protection that I know of so I am forced to look for external companies to use to connect to the real source.

Thanks
    -So far everyone knows the real source IP but that is because I trust them. Anyone else is waiting to get on it and me looking for ways to put them on.

//hopefully you enjoyed my big paragraphs.
    -And what kind of "protection" would I need if only FTP is being used since there is "specialized" kind of filtering on attacks.

I doubt you will be able to find a way so that you will not spend double bandwidth, since the server will have to pull the data from a location and then feed it to you, which means you will always use double bandwidth.
    You can get DDoS protection if you want to, but there is still a certain limit to how much DDoS protection you can get without paying a lot of money, so if you're getting hit by several gpbs, you're going to get nullrouted.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

nullrouted...(heh). I haven't heard that word in 4 years. And last time it was someone I knew getting hit with a 200mbps that is why the concern. Even though its not happening to my server now.. I still want to protect the server + save my company the trouble since they don't perform in that area...plus having server downtime multiple times a day is ouchy for business.

Yeah that is the only downside but I am pretty sure there is a way. FTP bouncer? heard of that I don't know how they work or what it relates to what I am trying to accomplish.

Well hopefully someone might shed some light to this, but I see no way that on a 10GB file you will only use 10GB of traffic to get it to your client, the server still needs to download that file and then upload it to the end-user.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Given the cost of a DDoS protected proxy your biggest problem will be cost of the proxy and protection itself, not the bandwidth it depletes.