Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 56
  1. #1

    Hostgator Blacklisted What now?

    Hi all.

    I found out today hostgator.com is black listed and so is the ip they have given me for my domain. I have allways been a happy hostgator.com customer but when your domain is blacklisted because of your hosting company thats not good. It also prevents some people from being able to send you e-mail.

    When I talked with HG support today they suggested a dedicated IP but no promises. So thats not a positive indicator as well.

    I have the baby croc plan with them and would like something simular with another hosting company that I can be for sure is not on a black list. I have had no compliants with them over last 2 years I have used them but this is something that will make me leave them if there is nothing they can do to solve it which appears to be the case after speaking with HGs support.

    Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatley appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mac

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Its not good for them if their servers are blacklisted. Where exactly are they blacklisted though?

    Since you've been with them for a while, I'd suggest you try to work with them but if you don't see anything changing for the better then theres plenty of reliable hosts out there.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  3. #3
    I did a whois on dslreports

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    I know hostgator has a lot of servers lined up. you can either wait it out to see if they can get the BL lifted or ask to move servers.

    Either way, you might see a bit of downtime.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,911
    Yea, I would first try out a dedicated IP and if that does not work ask support to find out why its blacklisted.

    85% of the time changing the IP should work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    Hostgator uses a mail gateway, with a big number of IPs, to send emails. The ones that get blacklisted are not used until the issue is handled and the IP is cleared.

    http://forums.hostgator.com/showthread.php?t=21041

  7. #7
    By that thread I am totally screwed with hostgator then if all clients use the same mail gateway.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    What is your ticket number with us? What Daniel said is correct so this sounds pretty strange.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Hostgator uses a mail gateway, with a big number of IPs, to send emails. The ones that get blacklisted are not used until the issue is handled and the IP is cleared.

    http://forums.hostgator.com/showthread.php?t=21041
    That sounds like a great solution to the universal problem of shared servers getting blacklisted, causing problems for all users. And for those suggesting a dedicated IP - it's generally useless in this situation because email still goes out via the server's main IP address.

    So kudos to HG for putting in place something that looks like it should be a real solution, but it seems like they need to do a better job of explaining it to their clients...
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    By that thread I am totally screwed with hostgator then if all clients use the same mail gateway.
    You're probably misreading something. Due to the way the system works (HG's not the only host doing this), it helps mitigate the effects of a blacklisting. Instead of having to wait until your particular mail server's IP is de-listed from a blacklist, any affected IP(s) will simply not be used, and there would be plenty other IPs to be used in the mean time.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    What is your ticket number with us? What Daniel said is correct so this sounds pretty strange.
    I didnt recieve a ticket number it was verbal on the phone this morning. This is actually the second domain that I have had this issue with accessing. But it is even your main domain, hostgator.com.

    67.18.54.2 IS BLACKLISTED AT:

    • A Info
    • sa-hil.habeaus.com 64.34.83.139
    • flowgoaway.com 68.178.232.143
    • formmail.relays.monkeys.com 127.0.0.1
    • proxies.relays.monkeys.com 127.0.0.1
    • pm0-no-more.compu.net 127.0.0.4
    • relays.ordb.org 127.0.0.2
    • blackhole.compu.net 127.0.0.4
    • ztl.dorkslayers.com 68.178.232.99
    • proxies.monkeys.com 127.0.0.1
    • block.blars.org 67.228.222.240

    (And not to get to far from the thread but the new ticket system at hostgator doesnt seem to be working very well. I havent been able to get status on help tickets.)

    Its the first time I have not been able to send e-mail to a hostgator.com hosted domain though. (sending thru my us.army.mil account so that means no one can send mail to a hostgator domain from their us.army.mil e-mail)

    What I mean by being screwed is that if a newly registered domain with them is on a blacklist from the get go then how can I get a clear one?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    I actually have a us.army.mil account as well and if you can't send mail from there then I guess a lot of other accounts aren't going to work as well.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    I actually have a us.army.mil account as well and if you can't send mail from there then I guess a lot of other accounts aren't going to work as well.
    Yes and I dont see a end user being able to get that opened up so that they have access if its at the hosting company or higher level block of ip addresses.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    jkmcgrath:

    FYI - Those blacklists aren't anything to be worried about. The one's you need to worry about are SpamHaus and SpamCop.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,582
    Some of those lists I imagine are extortion ones if my memory serves me right. Also several don't even exist anymore one such example is blars.org but others are no longer maintained:

    ordb.org was shut down on December 18, 2006.

    I also put in several IP's from various providers our own IP's and such and we are supposedly on all those lists as well according to dslreports.com

    So I doubt supposedly being on these lists has anything to due with the us.army.mil issues.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    Yes and I dont see a end user being able to get that opened up so that they have access if its at the hosting company or higher level block of ip addresses.
    Last I checked, I don't remember the military using any blacklist programs. Then again, I've never been fan of the AKO system in general.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,490
    Sysadmin with good knowledge and enough experience will not use Spamhouse and Spamcop lists because generally ALL ip listing is 100% bad idea.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    You have nothing at all to worry about. You haven't had any emails bounced back because if you did you would get an email saying so from who and with a reason why your email was blacklisted.

    On top of that the ip you checked is our hostgator.com ip which has nothing to do with the mail gateway ips.

    This should be a positive thread about us since our gateways are doing exactly what they are suppose to which is why you aren't receiving bounce backs.


    In the future if you have any questions or problems please open a support ticket with us.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    Last I checked, I don't remember the military using any blacklist programs. Then again, I've never been fan of the AKO system in general.
    Roger that but there has to be a reason that hostgator.com is not reachable by those users.

    If its caused from a blacklist not from a blacklist I dont know but either way I need a solution that doesnt exclude such a large group.

    I really like hostgator but this is a deal breaker for me.

    Can you send mail from your ako to your ephase email?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    Its the first time I have not been able to send e-mail to a hostgator.com hosted domain though. (sending thru my us.army.mil account so that means no one can send mail to a hostgator domain from their us.army.mil e-mail)

    What I mean by being screwed is that if a newly registered domain with them is on a blacklist from the get go then how can I get a clear one?
    I think you missed this part HostGator... I think he was stating he tried to send mail to his domain from the US Army AKO account and it bounced back to him.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    Roger that but there has to be a reason that hostgator.com is not reachable by those users.

    If its caused from a blacklist not from a blacklist I dont know but either way I need a solution that doesnt exclude such a large group.

    I really like hostgator but this is a deal breaker for me.

    Can you send mail from your ako to your ephase email?
    Yes I can.

    But you know whats kind of funny. I'm actually on a NIPR line right now and I can't even reach their site. I honestly think it just might be the NIPR line the Military uses that won't reach HostGator.com... Next time your near a GOVT line try it and see. Maybe its just me.

    I would try to send mail from a third party like gmail and see if that goes through.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    If your having any problems please open a ticket with us and pm the ticket number I'll be happy to help you. Thanks!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    You have nothing at all to worry about. You haven't had any emails bounced back because if you did you would get an email saying so from who and with a reason why your email was blacklisted.

    On top of that the ip you checked is our hostgator.com ip which has nothing to do with the mail gateway ips.

    This should be a positive thread about us since our gateways are doing exactly what they are suppose to which is why you aren't receiving bounce backs.


    In the future if you have any questions or problems please open a support ticket with us.
    You dont see a problem with large group of users not being able to reach a domain or send e-mail to that domain?

    This is not a bash hostgator thread, nor meant to be negative. It is a problem I have accessing hostgator. I have used you all for 2 years. But if I cannot resolve this then I will have to find a host that is not blocked(whatever the problem is) plain and simple.

    I have a ticket opened since sunday ([FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']CBF-2590105)[/FONT] that I have never received status on even after requesting a follow up (its on the domain I recently turned over to another user and on a different matter)

    And as I said, I called in today and spent 10-15 minutes on the phone with a support person that did his best to provide a solution but not one that he could be sure would work. He said IPs are issued automatically so there was no way to test it in advance until I spent more money to see if it worked or not.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    You dont see a problem with large group of users not being able to reach a domain or send e-mail to that domain?

    This is not a bash hostgator thread, nor meant to be negative. It is a problem I have accessing hostgator. I have used you all for 2 years. But if I cannot resolve this then I will have to find a host that is not blocked(whatever the problem is) plain and simple.

    I have a ticket opened since sunday ([FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']CBF-2590105)[/FONT] that I have never received status on even after requesting a follow up (its on the domain I recently turned over to another user and on a different matter)

    And as I said, I called in today and spent 10-15 minutes on the phone with a support person that did his best to provide a solution but not one that he could be sure would work. He said IPs are issued automatically so there was no way to test it in advance until I spent more money to see if it worked or not.
    As I suggested, try to email your domain from a email service like gmail, etc... to see if it still bounces back.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    Yes I can.

    But you know whats kind of funny. I'm actually on a NIPR line right now and I can't even reach their site. I honestly think it just might be the NIPR line the Military uses that won't reach HostGator.com... Next time your near a GOVT line try it and see. Maybe its just me.

    I would try to send mail from a third party like gmail and see if that goes through.
    Alright someone that speaks my languge!

    Its not just NIPR it is 10 or 32 and that is what I have been saying, its blocked from the top level theplanet back to the users that purchase hosting. The military is an too large of group to have blocked off.

    Its not just you, I am on mil network daily which is how I found this problem that everyone is trying to convince is not a problem lol

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    As I suggested, try to email your domain from a email service like gmail, etc... to see if it still bounces back.
    I can e-mail from my isp account to hostgator account and back no problem. So I know its all configured correctly.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    Alright someone that speaks my languge!

    Its not just NIPR it is 10 or 32 and that is what I have been saying, its blocked from the top level theplanet back to the users that purchase hosting. The military is an too large of group to have blocked off.

    Its not just you, I am on mil network daily which is how I found this problem that everyone is trying to convince is not a problem lol
    LOL. Yeah, when I tried to get to HostGator's site from the NIPR line it just gave me error message. I was in shock... tried again hours later and still didn't work. I just kept seeing these reviews but their sites were always down... Was pretty confused but didn't think much of it. Just figured it was government funded network at its best...( actually i think the military has one of the best networks in the world lol. )
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    LOL. Yeah, when I tried to get to HostGator's site from the NIPR line it just gave me error message. I was in shock... tried again hours later and still didn't work. I just kept seeing these reviews but their sites were always down... Was pretty confused but didn't think much of it. Just figured it was government funded network at its best...( actually i think the military has one of the best networks in the world lol. )
    They do and that is why imho it has to be fixed at the hostgator level. We would get no where trying to send this up the chain for action.

    I see ephase is on level13 in NJ. Can you reach it on your NIPR line?

    You at Ft Dix or FT Drum? Or indian gap?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    They do and that is why imho it has to be fixed at the hostgator level. We would get no where trying to send this up the chain for action.

    I see ephase is on level13 in NJ. Can you reach it on your NIPR line?

    You at Ft Dix or FT Drum? Or indian gap?
    My location cannot be disclosed at this time...
    Kidding, Fort Monmouth. Actually going to be moving up by West Point, NY for a few years.

    Fort Drum....so cold... don't even want to think about it.

    and yeah, I have no problem reaching my own site from the NIPR line. , If I did, we would have serious issues as I get bored at work quite often.

    And sending something like this up the chain would only result in stress, stress, and unresolved issues for years to come.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    Its not just NIPR it is 10 or 32 and that is what I have been saying, its blocked from the top level theplanet back to the users that purchase hosting. The military is an too large of group to have blocked off.
    So rather than HG blocking the military this begins to look like the military blocking ThePlanet - nothing to do with email or blacklists, and probably not something HG has any control over.
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    The military isn't blocking ThePlanet... I'm accessing their site right now.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    So rather than HG blocking the military this begins to look like the military blocking ThePlanet - nothing to do with email or blacklists, and probably not something HG has any control over.

    Its not HG blocking the mil that is correct it is HG/theplanet having something happening in their networks that has caused the mil to block their networks.

    To me HG/Theplanet should be looking into seeing what is causing the mil boys to be blocking ALL of their data in and out and get that corrected ASAP (will thats not real fast to the mil)

    HG/Theplanet would have to demonstrate the threat is no longer valid to get it resolved. Would be a lenghty process I would imagine.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    The military isn't blocking ThePlanet... I'm accessing their site right now.
    Isnt Hostgator branched of them?

    I really need a host that is reachable from a mil. To many deployments, people need contact via web.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    Isnt Hostgator branched of them?

    I really need a host that is reachable from a mil. To many deployments, people need contact via web.
    No such thing as to many deployments... Who doesn't like sitting around in a MWR facility on some FOB to hear deployments are extended to 15 months.

    Anyway, I can access ThePlanet no problem from the line but can't reach HostGator.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    Its not HG blocking the mil that is correct it is HG/theplanet having something happening in their networks that has caused the mil to block their networks.

    To me HG/Theplanet should be looking into seeing what is causing the mil boys to be blocking ALL of their data in and out and get that corrected ASAP (will thats not real fast to the mil)

    HG/Theplanet would have to demonstrate the threat is no longer valid to get it resolved. Would be a lenghty process I would imagine.
    Well, that's quite a different picture. Without knowing the details of why the military might be blocking TP/HG (and I guess HG may not know either) it's hard to see how HG is at fault here.

    Nevertheless, your best option is probably just to change hosts. Plenty of others based in differnet datacenters with good reputations. You might want to start a new thread with your space / transfer / budget requirements and ask for recommendations.
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmcgrath View Post
    HG/Theplanet would have to demonstrate the threat is no longer valid to get it resolved.
    To who? Anyway The Planet is too large, and "the threat" is 24x7x365 - it can't be eradicated due to their size. Customers of a large commercial operation may need access to .mil, but .mil probably doesn't need them. It's wishful thinking at best to think anything could change that. I mean more power to you if a change can be made, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by rustelekom View Post
    Sysadmin with good knowledge and enough experience will not use Spamhouse and Spamcop lists because generally ALL ip listing is 100% bad idea.
    Why? you would be a fool not to use RBLs they are the most acurate and reliable way to keep spam down.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

  38. #38
    Talked with hostgator again today. Seems to be a known problem with their data center.

    They have always blocked us and after countless requests, we've always been denied. There is nothing we can do.




    Regards,
    Adam D.
    Network Security Administrator
    http://www.hostgator.com/mailpolicy.shtml
    http://www.hostgator.com/support.shtml
    http://www.hostgator.com/tos.shtml
    1-866-96-GATOR (42867)

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    92
    Hm, I was actually going to sign up with them

  40. #40
    I really really like hostgator. If your not concerned about .mil not being able to reach you either by www or e-mail then I think they are an excellent choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •