Is one of these data centers better for European access?

I could go with hosts offering space in

Denver Technological Center (DTC)

and

Equinix Chicago

For Europeans accessing, which would be better?

Is comparing ping times sufficient or is there some more sophisticated analysis I could do?

For European access what is closest to Europe.
    For example I get bad download speeds from centers around Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by amc-james View Post
    Neither. Its generally better to be geographically close to your target audience.

Europe = East coast USA
    Asia = West coast USA

If you had to pick one of those on the list, Chicago.
    Target audience is global - significant US, next significant is Europe - hence the question.

Ping times seem similar.

Then I'd suggest Texas for the US and then get a european server.

If not possible then you have a touch decision as if you go on one of the coasts, its going to obviously slower on the other.

However the difference is small, So I'd still suggest Texas to give you good coverage of the whole US and your speeds (as long as its not streaming video or gaming etc) will be fine to europe.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Your best bet is East coast. Typically a NYC/NJ provider can have sub 80MS to anywhere in the US and sub 100 to most anywhere in Northern EU. While if you are in texas you only get a 10 to 20ms downgrade for anywhere in the US but you can get a decent upto 30 to 40ms or more to hit the EU
    Jay

Not sure how Texas crept in

For other reasons, choice is limited in this project to specific data centers in Denver or Chicago.

Ping times look about the same - not great for the reasons people have given.

Just wondering if there are other parameters that could influence performance beyond geographic location.

Chicago gets my vote, it's closer EU than Denver. I have no experience with Equinix, but I believe you can choose many network vendors there for optimizing network for EU-based customers

Anything on the east coast would be better than chicago, denver, or dallas for European transit.

Go down the list of providers in Florida, Georgia, NJ, NY.

I'd recommend you look at Voxel.net in New York. They have very few hops and latency to the UK, and EU at large.

If you NEED to remain in Chicago, talk to the guys from GigeNET. They have excellent routes to UK/Europe, as well as Asia.

Here's an example to euroconnex in the UK.

Code:
    [[email protected] ~]# traceroute poundhost.com
    traceroute to poundhost.com (217.112.88.61), 30 hops max, 46 byte packets
     1  somehost  0.900 ms  0.973 ms  0.992 ms
     2  SO2-0-0-0.ER1.CHI1.Servernap.net (69.39.239.169)  1.990 ms  1.980 ms *
     3  btn-gw.eqx.chi.servernap.com (66.252.3.121)  2.606 ms  1.973 ms  1.992 ms
     4  ge-9-4.the.uk.euroconnex.net (195.66.224.223)  105.939 ms  105.923 ms  105.937 ms
     5  some host  106.938 ms  106.922 ms  106.929 ms

Have a look at NAC (East Cost). They have their own loop to London, very fast from the UK & Europe.
    ReflexNetworks means Happy Clients!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Anything on the east coast would be better than chicago, denver, or dallas for European transit.
    Anything on the east coast would be better than Chicago? I don't believe that holds true for the southeast. For instance, Chicago and Atlanta should be neck and neck latency wise (in most cases). As you go further down south, Chicago will likely have relatively lower latency.

If you wanna go into europe, you wanna make sure the center has a strong european provider.

Just saying, this center has a hop to London says nothing, make sure the provider has strong presence all across europe, and more then one landing site. Centers with Telia, Sprint or Level3 is the way to go.

Edit, in this case, Chicago.
    Last edited by ollebanan; 04-24-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ollebanan View Post
    If you wanna go into europe, you wanna make sure the center has a strong european provider.

Just saying, this center has a hop to London says nothing, make sure the provider has strong presence all across europe, and more then one landing site. Centers with Telia, Sprint or Level3 is the way to go.

Edit, in this case, Chicago.
    It was an example, not an end-all-be-all. But as I said, the routes I have seen to the UK/EU/Asia have been very strong. Speeds of ~200+K regularly from a few adsl subscribers in Asia.

Nonetheless, I would definitely take a look at Voxel prior to making a decision. You're ~20 ms closer to the coast over there.

We are located in Europe, Frankfurt and had the same issue
    Europe <---> USA connectivity.

My experience is that a low ping isnt enough to conclude a good connection.
    We asked several colo companies to put files online so we could make tests ourselves.

Cheers.

Comparing ping times is a reasonable place to start. There isn't any relevant peering in Denver, that traffic will get backhauled someplace else before it goes anywhere. Chicago is nearer europe and has major peering and is your best bet of the two. New York would be an even better bet, that is the first major city where most transatlantic traffic hits.
    Andrew Ogilvie | Xtraordinary Hosting | AS30827 | Member of LINX
    Dedicated Servers in Central London | Xen VPS Linux & Windows | Complex Hosting | London BGP4 Bandwidth

There really is no way to know for certain how any connection will suit you, other than just testing. If you have access to both locations my advise would be to test downloads and running traces. Some providers have connections they never use and have just for marketing. A default route does wonders, to choose the cheapest route if they want.
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

Quote Originally Posted by andren View Post
    Have a look at NAC (East Cost). They have their own loop to London, very fast from the UK & Europe.
    I also found the network connectivity to be excellent; when I was with 15minuteservers (for a dedicated server for a customer who needed a server in NY/NJ) and later as a customer myself for colo space with NAC, I found their network quality to EU (in particular, Western Europe) to be excellent. I'm sure voxel would have similiar quality given their peering and transit mix.

Equinix in Chicago is carrier neutral, so unless you're comparing the Equinix Direct service (expensive) it's not really a fair comparison.

We colo at FortressITX and AtlantaNAP. Fortress is in NJ and both of these have excellent European connectivity.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

I hasten to add AtlantaNAP is also carrier neutral but we use their own blend of network (both Gold and Silver).

Rules prohibit me from posting my own domain but traceroute to whbengineering.com (just a holding page domain) - its hosted at AtlantaNAP.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Average 90ms to poundhost.com from Internap inside Chicago Equinix. From Steadfast.net (3 floors below) I average 92ms to poundhost.com.