hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : I would really appreciate some advice

Forum Jump

I would really appreciate some advice

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM

I would really appreciate some advice

I'm starting a web business here: body-improvements.com

I'm very web-illiterate... that's why I chose homestead.com to host my site. They have very nifty tools that allow you to create a site without knowing much of anything.

That said, I was very irritated to hear that homestead isn't compatible with vbulletin, which I really want to use for my forum.

Now I'm completely lost as I know nothing about finding a host that matches my needs. Heck, I know nothing about hosting period.

I'm not real sure how much traffic my forum will get but I do have a big following on quite a few forums and I like to imagine that many of them will check out my forum.

I'm already paying over 20 bucks per month for my homestead hosting of my site. So I guess I will have to pay for another place to host the forum. I read through the stickies here and frankly all the options people throw out are overwhelming, hence this post.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Disabled

You could get a new webhosting account, using the domain forums.yourdomain.com, and then when your host gives you an account, ask for the ip address you will have on their server, then take that ip address and tell homestead:

Quote:
I would like you to create a dns A record:

forums.mydomain.com. IN A youripaddress

I need this So I can host my forum on another host while still using homestead for my normal homepage
Homestead should be able to do this, and then you could host your normal website at homestead, and your fourm at another host.

Or you could just move your whole site to a new host. This would be pretty easy to do if homestead gives you ftp access. Otherwise, I guess you'd have to re-create your website, or find a way of re-arching it over http.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 PM

I would move from homestead, but I'm sort of locked in. I don't know my butt from my elbow when it comes to web development and homestead is pretty much web design for dummies.

I just called them and they said their PHP is in beta testing now and it should be compatible with vbulletin sooner than later. But I need it now, and the guy said I should sign up for vbulletin and try out this:

lefora.com

I'm a little worried about free hosting.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

If it's just a personal site/forum than free hosting would probably work, but I'd look for a good company that is not going to push ads on your page (they do in fact exist.)

If it's a business site or a site that consider "critical" I would look into an overall new host. My suggestion would be to do some searching and reading here and on google about web hosting to get a better feel for what you need and what you are actually paying for.

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM

You get what you pay for. You are paying $20/mo for the privilege of using SiteBuilder, templates and graphics all spoon-fed to you so you don't have to learn HTML, CSS, PHP. Looking at the homesite.com page, tehy mentioned nothing about add-on programs, databases, PHP or Perl or any of the many other things you would get with a regular host. Without these things you cannot run most forums, if any, as they all need some programming language.

There are hosts which provide SiteBuilder and have all the programming features mentioned above. Seeting up a forum is "easy" in most cases, but you have to know something about databases, servers, PHP, etc. This is why there are web professionals; to help the business guys, like you, set up a web site and run a business. You do the business, we do the tech. Your best choice would have been to hire someone to do this for you. You might have spent a bit more money, but it would not have been wasted.

Another point about SiteBuilder sites. As far as I know, you cannot move them or archive them. You will probably have to recreate the site at your new host.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
If it's just a personal site/forum than free hosting would probably work, but I'd look for a good company that is not going to push ads on your page (they do in fact exist.)

If it's a business site or a site that consider "critical" I would look into an overall new host. My suggestion would be to do some searching and reading here and on google about web hosting to get a better feel for what you need and what you are actually paying for.
It is a business site.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemyst View Post
You get what you pay for. You are paying $20/mo for the privilege of using SiteBuilder, templates and graphics all spoon-fed to you so you don't have to learn HTML, CSS, PHP. Looking at the homesite.com page, tehy mentioned nothing about add-on programs, databases, PHP or Perl or any of the many other things you would get with a regular host. Without these things you cannot run most forums, if any, as they all need some programming language.

There are hosts which provide SiteBuilder and have all the programming features mentioned above. Seeting up a forum is "easy" in most cases, but you have to know something about databases, servers, PHP, etc. This is why there are web professionals; to help the business guys, like you, set up a web site and run a business. You do the business, we do the tech. Your best choice would have been to hire someone to do this for you. You might have spent a bit more money, but it would not have been wasted.

Another point about SiteBuilder sites. As far as I know, you cannot move them or archive them. You will probably have to recreate the site at your new host.
I feel what you're saying... I really do. It wasn't about the money honestly. It was more from the standpoint that I had no clue what I wanted, I had some free time on my hands, and I really wanted to see what I could do on the 'creative side' of things as far as website design goes.

I'm more of a learn as you go type of person and would never have been able to convey clearly what I wanted to a developer, unfortunately, frankly b/c I didn't even know.

Not that you expect an explanation or that I owe you one.

Do you guys see anything wrong with finding another host to host the forum and then linking to that from the homestead site? From your perpective does that seem illogical?

And I'm going to have to check into whether or not you can move the site. I can't imagine starting from scratch!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroutman81 View Post
And I'm going to have to check into whether or not you can move the site. I can't imagine starting from scratch!
You could find your own website template somewhere and then copy/paste the text content from your homestead site to your template and upload it to a "legit" host.

Hostgator offers their users templates from Template Monster, and they have a very helpful forum where their users would help you to get everything figured out. I would suggest looking into them, and you can even join their forum BEFORE you buy hosting so you can ask around about moving your content into a template, and how to operate the template and whatnot.

You can also Google free website templates and find plenty.

Also, if you just really feel the need to stay with homestead for now, it would not at all be "illogical" to host your forum on a subdomain at a different host. I personally wouldn't want to, but there is no glaring reason why you shouldn't.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

I would recommend hostgator.com, they are nice with everything and they have over 4,000 templates that come with the hosting package. Good uptime, support and speed. Sitebuilder (perfect for people who know nothing on web dev.) is included as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Oh wow, hostgater has sitebuilder as well. I wonder if it's as easy to use as homestead.

Thanks for all the advice guys, you're awesome!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Hey, almost all good webhosts have a Sitebuilder now. And with hostgators 4000+ templates, shouldn't be really hard for you to recreate the website there. And I'm sure they are compatible with almost all PHP scripts that are available. So shouldn't be a problem hosting your forum and the website under one host.

And it was so naive of homestead to lead you to a free forum host! That's really silly! And I'm sure their PHP being in Beta testing is a blatant lie!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:26 PM

Yea, I'm pretty shocked honestly. I was happy with homestead for years up to today. Now I'm not so sure what to do. I joined the forum over on hostgator to ask if anyone has any experience transferring from homestead to hostgator.

Supposedly the coding homestead's sitebuilder uses is wacky so if I moved the site over a lot could get screwed up. If I weren't far along in the process I wouldn't care much... I'd just start from the ground up.... but my site is almost done and losing what I've done so far scares the hell out of me.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
-=*/E=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroutman81 View Post
I know nothing about hosting period.
Wows first time i heard of something called Hosting Period , too !! so don't feel bad you are not the only one.

PS: Sitebuilder most hosts i seen on WHT are kinda offering, and well below $20 pm plans. As per moving, what script they are using though any ideas ? Some use RvSitebuilder, some use others, so if you know what script they used, you could try finding a host with same script as moving would become easier that way.

But if your site is just html , moving html sites is not really hard.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Yeah. Changing hosts is the most ugliest thing to do. Especially if you have to redo the whole process.

I have done it before and I know what it is like! *Sighs*

Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 PM

Well this seems optimistic, someone over on hostgator posted this in response to my question:

Quote:
Just took a look at your site and to me it looks like it would probably be one of the easiest transfers! Doesn't seem to be any databases or anything just your basic html. I would get with sales, they should be able to transfer your site without a problem. They do utilize sitebuilder which there is a demo http://sitebuilder.websitewelcome.com

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Rackspace Launches One-Stop Digital Services Practice Web Hosting News 2014-03-03 16:14:03
Nominet Pilot Program Hopes to Help SMBs Combat Cyber Threats with Support, Advice Web Hosting News 2014-02-07 15:12:39
Easyspace and Crunch Partner to Package Hosting and Accounting Services Web Hosting News 2013-07-15 15:03:55
WHD.global 2013: OnApp Shares Cloud Best Practices through New Website Web Hosting News 2013-03-19 07:33:08
Why Security is Key to the Growth of the Cloud Business with Gray Hall of Alert Logic Web Hosting News 2012-09-20 12:11:01