Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Biggest host on WHT?

Which is the largest hosting company that posts on WHT? I know Host Gator is pretty big, but what about Dreamhost and GoDaddy? Companies like that

Easily Lunarpages or Hostgator, although Microsoft and several very large datacenter / infrastructure providers are hiding out here as well. You won't find too many 'official' reps. for them though.

Softlayer's founder posts here as well.
    Anywhom!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Yeah, I would probably say Hostgator is one of the largest here, and Brent posts every so often. I'm sure there are other big ones here but they don't usually make their presence known.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Hostgator.com's great. They get pretty good reviews here, I have no complaints about the service they've given me.

Godaddy is used pretty much only for domain names. I would stay away from them in terms of hosting because they get bad reviews here and: They don't use industry accepted control panels, they have their own confusing one, they have strict TOS rules, you disk space doesn't count toward your email space - you only get 10MB of email space, no more. They are slow. Their added features have lots of strings attached. But, they are great for domain names.

Dreamhost is decent all around. They aren't the best. They are known for their large outages every so often and being honest, funny, and allow lots of storage. People get decent uptime, speed and support from them, but not the top quality everyone desires.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Please guys, do not make WHT a dashboard of your web hosting company. Those mentioned above are neither the biggest ones, nor the best ones. The best web host do not send their customers to post in favour of their own. They sell infrastructure and network to our hosting companies.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

The thread starter should have made the title:

Host with the Biggest EGO on WHT
    TeleSouth Network Inc.
    Dedicated and Managed Servers
    11 years of Service and Support with Excellence
    http://www.telesouth1.com/dedicated.php

Quote Originally Posted by TeleSouthNet View Post
    The thread starter should have made the title:

Host with the Biggest EGO on WHT
    Why fall behind go ahead make that thread .

I dunno who the biggest host is, all the names mentioned above i heard the first time !!

Quote Originally Posted by Looie View Post
    Which is the largest hosting company that posts on WHT? I know Host Gator is pretty big, but what about Dreamhost and GoDaddy? Companies like that
    Largest in which way? Are you asking who hosts the most domains? Who has the most customers? Who runs the largest data centers? Or largest in what WHT way?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Largest in which way? Are you asking who hosts the most domains? Who has the most customers? Who runs the largest data centers? Or largest in what WHT way?
    Oh i think he meant one with ceo's height more than 6 feet or something.
    I could be mistaken here. But i am only few feets as bunny do not grow tall enough like giraffes doooo !!

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Oh i think he meant one with ceo's height more than 6 feet or something.
    I could be mistaken here. But i am only few feets as bunny do not grow tall enough like giraffes doooo !!
    Foolish me!? How did I ever leave that one out...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Foolish me!? How did I ever leave that one out...
    Who knowz how penguins think

Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    Please guys, do not make WHT a dashboard of your web hosting company. Those mentioned above are neither the biggest ones, nor the best ones. The best web host do not send their customers to post in favour of their own. They sell infrastructure and network to our hosting companies.
    That is only an opinion. Personally, I believe that HostGator is a fantastic host and is, in fact, one of the best.

Are you suggesting that HostGator is paying their customers to post on this thread? That is crap, I have a HostGator account for a client of mine and I haven't received my check!

Sarcasm.. its catchy!
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

I mean most customers, yeah.

Hrm... some people are so touchy it seems. It's a relatively simple question and from the perspective of a hosting client, and not a web host it's not too terribly difficult to answer.

The largest hosts may in fact be the datacenters or the companies that sell the uplinks - but these are generally not the people that your average web hosting consumer is going to deal with.

Hostgator may not be the biggest, but they are certainly up there on domains hosted. I only posted based upon what I know and can estimate, and I'm not saying that I am right or wrong, I could stand to be corrected.

Ligten up people.

Yeah, I think HostGator is one of the biggest. I don't know how anyone could say who *is* the biggest. Isn't that up for speculation. Biggest what? Domains? Most threads? Most posts? Most offers? Most staffers posting here? Etc...
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

Hostgator is probably the host that posts here with the biggest building :

In terms of domains hosted it would probably be Dreamhost (Michael S from tech posts here very occasionally), but I think Brent from Hostgator probably wins if you base it on a somewhat abstractly balanced mashup of both domains hosted plus posting frequency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails building001.jpg  

I think both HostGator and Dreamhost are not the biggest host. I think IBM is much, much and much bigger than the both of them added up.

//EDIT

READ amygdela... READ! Posting on WHT!

Then I think indeed it's HostGator or perhaps a big one like LiquidWeb?
    Last edited by JayNL; 04-23-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by HostingDeals View Post
    Yeah, I think HostGator is one of the biggest. I don't know how anyone could say who *is* the biggest. Isn't that up for speculation. Biggest what? Domains? Most threads? Most posts? Most offers? Most staffers posting here? Etc...
    I think rating of companies listed on the stock market is usually done by their current market value . For companies which are not listed probably the total sales figure and profits can be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    I think both HostGator and Dreamhost are not the biggest host. I think IBM is much, much and much bigger than the both of them added up.

//EDIT

READ amygdela... READ! Posting on WHT!

Then I think indeed it's HostGator or perhaps a big one like LiquidWeb?
    Yes, IBM is bigger, but I don't really see them on WHT much. The OP was asking for the largest host on WHT.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Yes, IBM is bigger, but I don't really see them on WHT much. The OP was asking for the largest host on WHT.
    you must've quoted this before my edit. I read this wrong indeed
    hi there!

cowabunga probably would be the biggest host posting on WHT, although noone knows the name of his hosting company, but from his posts it's in the 180,000+ client mark.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by dwrunyon View Post
    Hostgator is probably the host that posts here with the biggest building :

crap....it's a garden shed compared to my smallest office.

owm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails owm.jpg  
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Well Kevin Hazard posts here, although not much and he is from the planet so they are a pretty big "host".

Otherwise it would have to be DH or HG.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Wow, is that really the Hostgator building?

Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken, HostGator only rents a portion of the building but pays extra to have their name on the building. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

According to webhosting.info, Dreamhost is the biggest one I'd recognize from here. They host almost twice as many domains as Hostgator.

If you were to add Bluehost & Hostmonster together, they'd be up there, too. Does anyone from there post here?

If anyone from 1&1 posts here, they'd probably win, but I'm not sure if anyone does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tophosts.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in FL View Post
    According to webhosting.info, Dreamhost is the biggest one I'd recognize from here. They host almost twice as many domains as Hostgator.

If you were to add Bluehost & Hostmonster together, they'd be up there, too. Does anyone from there post here?

If anyone from 1&1 posts here, they'd probably win, but I'm not sure if anyone does.
    I thought that list was just how domain the registrar holds not exactly how many domains are hosted...

I thought GoDaddy was up there if that was the case.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

That's the webhosting list, which is domains hosted. There's a separate registrar list, which has lower numbers, since not everyone registers their domain with their host (if it's even an option).

Wildwest = Godaddy, so they're #1 anyway.

ahh... ok. well my mistake then.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken, HostGator only rents a portion of the building but pays extra to have their name on the building. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    That's actually very interesting. Never heard of that but interesting if it's true.

The question the OP has is so hard, because for all we know 1and1, is secretly hiding!

Quote Originally Posted by amex View Post
    That's actually very interesting. Never heard of that but interesting if it's true.
    From what I hear, they rent out part of the building to a bank & purchased the building. Although I could be wrong.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    crap....it's a garden shed compared to my smallest office.

owm
    Mine's bigger... so big in fact that I couldn't fit the picture into my computer... even just the PICTURE is too big! haha

J/k
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    From what I hear, they rent out part of the building to a bank & purchased the building. Although I could be wrong.
    Interesting. I sure think they are one of the better "bigger" overseller's here on WHT.

I'd like to know how Host-Gator comes up with their figures.

I believe Dreamhost said that Webhosting.info is pretty accurate with their numbers... and they have them at 685,083 domains hosted. They also said that doesn't even include all the free *.dreamhost/*.dreamhosters subdomains.

They have HG at only 368,153, but HG seems to claim between 1,000,000 and 100,000,000 -- depending on which part of the same page you're looking at. I attached a screenshot where the top of the page says "Now hosting over 1,000,000 domains!" then two sentences later says, "We provide service to over 100,000,000 websites on our shared and reseller plans."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Host-Gator.jpg  

Is size of web hosting company the main issue for you guys? I believe that for customers that is not so important and that is not first thing they check before sign up.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That's right -- they lease the first floor to a bank and own the building.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Im an x hostgstor customer and i wouldnt recommend them to anyone, the server i had my site on was down quite a few times each month (maybe not for too long but thats not the point) and it seemed to take me to get onto their support to get the server back, surely they must have them monitored them selfs. Anyway loads on servers were high and the server was slow, I give them the benifit of the doubt for a couple of months ( i had it as a backup account) but then i had to leave as i needed a fast reliable host and they were not cutting it!

Hi Guys,

I'll clear up some facts for you.

We are the worlds largest reseller hosting company with over 18,000 resellers. Less then half of these resellers use websitewelcome.com as their dns and the other half use their own private name servers. This means to come up with our numbers you would need to combine hostgator.com and websitewelcome.com on sites like webhosting.info and even then your missing a lot of them because of private name server use. We also have 1,000's of dedicated server customers we've never included in our hosted numbers.

We purchased a 30,000 sq ft building a year and a half ago. We currently occupy two of the buildings four floors taking up 18,000 sq ft. The 4th floor we have completely filled and we'll have the 3rd floor completely filled within a years time. The two remaining floors we lease out and may never endup filling due to future parking restrictions. The current plan is to purchase another building outside of Houston in a years time.

When we came to Houston a year and half ago our employee count was below 30. We now have over 150 employees and are growing faster then ever.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    When we came to Houston a year and half ago our employee count was below 30. We now have over 150 employees and are growing faster then ever.
    Cools and what Datacenter do you use ? Or you build your own datacenter and put some providers fiber optics in it ?

by the way how you know ur worlds largest ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast