What do server resellers look for?

When a dedicated server reseller is looking for a new partner, what exactly are they looking for? Is price far and away the primary factor? Are there other features/offerings that a reseller is looking for? Are there things that would prevent you from reselling for someone if they didn't offer them?

Who are currently the best server providers to resell for and why?
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

There's lots of concepts a typical reseller asks.

Reseller Discounts
    Server & Network Reliability
    Uptime
    Support Response Time

Those seem to be the most common questions we get.

Quote Originally Posted by ukgaz View Post
    There's lots of concepts a typical reseller asks.

Reseller Discounts
    Server & Network Reliability
    Uptime
    Support Response Time

Those seem to be the most common questions we get.
    Along with these great points, some other questions I have encountered are:
    Do they own their own data centers?
    Security of facility and accounts
    Availability of on hand inventory

just to name a few others. Ultimately, I think the resellers look to see how dependable the host is and if they stand behind their product and services.

My experience with resellers has shown me that a direct contact with up to date pricing, facility reliability and competitive reseller discounts are at the front of listed needs.
    Hope this helps. Maybe we can get some more resellers to share their thoughts, as I believe we all could benefit from their input.

I would add

Transparency
    Fast delivery
    addons like remote reboot, KVM, etc.
    Control panel for end users

Since I'm currently going through the process of educating myself on finding a good place to resell from I can tell you it's a bit frustrating. The previous posts have covered most of the points I look so I won't go into those areas. But I have to say that in general I really avoid places that seem to have huge markups on addons. If there are plenty of hosts willing to sell you X for $100/mo why would I pay someone else $295/mo for the same exact thing? It's amazing how quickly that $500/mo base server can quickly hit $2500+/mo. /rant off

If I can add anything (other then my rant) to the discussion is that I've been looking for providers that offer flexibility with available options.

Quote Originally Posted by Datacenter1 View Post
    Transparency
    Transparency in what way? Transparency that they can't tell the server is from a certain provider? Generally, it only takes a simple check of the IP space to determine that anyway. Am I missing something there?
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Transparency in what way? Transparency that they can't tell the server is from a certain provider? Generally, it only takes a simple check of the IP space to determine that anyway. Am I missing something there?
    Agree, but I would imagine he was referring to uniqueness of offerings. Case in point, I can spot out a BurstNET reseller by just a glance of their server plans.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    True, but something as simple as swipping the IP allocation to the reseller can demonstrate a different level of commitment on their and your part. To the reseller's client, it may be noticeable.

SWIP'd ips are great. After all, even being a reseller is being a business owner and branding is important on all of your services. It also portrays a level of professionalism on both the provider and reseller's part.

When resellers come to us, it seems that they ask all of the standard questions mentioned above, but price always seems to be the deciding factor.
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

Price is critical but so is consistency of availability. Before price I want to know if the fantastic deal you are giving me now is something that I can count on 6 months a year or 2 years later.

There are several DC's that have great products but are always sold out.

There are others that are never sold out but the delivery times are inconsistent or just plain too long.

Resellers should have a priority support / communication method (with committed levels). The reality is that the companies that do resellers well recognize that there is a natural lag from customer to reseller to DC. If you build in a process to build that in from initial delivery to support for any issues, that makes it better for both the reseller and the resellers customers.

It is my belief that several businesses have grown quite a bit through the use of resellers because they did this right and actually had a win win scenario for resellers. There are fewer out there now that do that.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Discount, discount and more discount, noticed they don't want to know how fast the servers are up, or do they care much about automated provisioning and billing.

From my experience price is really the primary determining factor. the more discounts you can give the more reseller interest you will have.

Coming in second would be network and server stability and uptime.

Third is support provided. Will support be able to answer my requests in a timely manner? How much support do you offer and will I get more if I'm a reseller as compared to a normal customer?

I haven't seen much in the way of branding being important to resellers. It's very easy to find out where a reseller is coming from with traceroutes. Resellers often don't mind saying what datacenter they resell out of so long as their own services are up to par an add something that isn't offered by the provider itself. This makes more difference than what your ip range says.
    Marc Schulz
    Managing Implementation Engineer
    Steadfast : Managed Cloud & Infrastructure Services

- Price factor/discount I would say its the primary
    - Network reliability I would say its the second most important
    - Tech support when HW issues arise/reboots third. (Reboot ports/KVM a plus).
    ^_^