Is Bigger Better?

I have two possibly related questions.

One: I need a reseller account but I have less than a dozen sites, half of which are mine. My actual usage is only 300megs space and 2 gigs bandwidth per month - which is next to nothing, so I don't need too much. But the problem is I still want RELIABILITY (and descent support if necessary).

My account was probably something like 1gig/10gig. I'm finding lots and lots of places offering specs like 10 gigs space and 200 gigs bandwidth for $5/month. I was paying 3 times as much for 1/10 the specs and it was horrible service so how can I expect to believe that I can get so much more for so much less? My question is, do I need to pay more for a truly reliable host? I see more "believable" offers for 10 times what I need at $20-$25 per month. I don't want to throw money away (for mostly personal sites) but I'm sick of bad hosting and fighting tech support to fix server issues.

My second question (possibly related): Is bigger better? This isn't necessarily a price question. Should I consider a well known (advertised) host that serves over a million sites generally more reliable than a host that serves 1,000 sites? My assumption is that the smaller companies are often just reselling to me in the fist place and outsourcing their tech support. A huge company would have better resources. Is any of this on target?

As a follow up question, how can I find a truthful list of the largest web hosts? (HostGator says they host 1,000,000 sites.)

Thanks.

I've seen hosts offering 6,000GB Diskspace, 60,000GB Bandwidth, for about $5/month. That is impossible. So no, more isn't better.
    You will find hosts like GoDaddy/HostGator etc overselling, but they have the money to buy more hardware so they are reliable. these other hosts clearly are taking the mic.

I see a lot of people going on ebay saying unlimited space and bandwidth or unmetered space and bandwidth. I think this is stupid as heck when you go into the WHM and look at the HD space it does have a limit meaning they are not legit about it. In my eyes thats how I see it, maybe the rest don't.

Some people actually can offer you that great of a deal like Dynash has stated.

You can't find how many people they host, you may ask the host they don't have to tell you or they could lie.. A great way is to find there web forums and look at how many members they have, yes i know not all members signup. I have some members on my servers all which don't need help ever so they don't need forums.

Anyhow its just the luck of the draw really.

They are bad big companies and bad small companies..
    But I'd say the percentage of bad big companies is certainly smaller, as they wouldn't have gotten that big unless they could retain customers
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH View Post
    They are bad big companies and bad small companies..
    But I'd say the percentage of bad big companies is certainly smaller, as they wouldn't have gotten that big unless they could retain customers
    ew very good point! haha!
    Jason

If I was in your situation I would search for a host based on their reputation, opposed to their packages. You seem to use a pretty low amount of resources, so in my opinion most hosts you will find will be able to fit that part of your needs.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

Good things come in small packages

iPod vs Zune/Any other MP3 player
    Wii vs XBOX or PlayStation
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I think for reliability reseller hosting, you'll want to pay more for the reliability. Don't pick some $10/month offer. Look for quality.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

If you want reliable, don't go for a host that obviously oversells by a large amount.

A simple test of this can be:

1) Assume that a host's server has a 10Mbit unmetered connection (hence a max of 3300 gigs of data transfer). Assume this server costs them $200 per month. (Both reasonable enough assumptions).

2) When you find a package, take the bandwidth being offered and divide that by 3300 (so if a package offers 500 gigs, do 3300/500 = 6.6).

3) Then multiply that amount (6.6) by the amount the host are charging (lets assume $10 per month) = 6.6 * 10 = $66

4) If the amount in (3) is substantially less than $200, it'd actually be mathematically impossible for a host to offer what they are without overselling. Here, the host would get in $66 p/m, and pay out $200 p/m (thus making a huge loss every month).

Whilst overselling or (controlled overselling, rather) can be useful enough, if a host obviously can't provide everything they're offering, you may want to think twice about using that company (IMHO).
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Most hosting companies that offer reseller plans will offer you more than what you're asking as their base reseller plan. Therefore, you should narrow you search to companies with a good reputation. Use the search feature here at WHT, that will give you a good idea.
    Rob Moore - Founder/President
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Hosting Companies, since 2005
    Our new service is LIVE - as of June 1, 2016

Nowadays every web hosting comapny try to have own forum with web site. I think that it would be useful for your search acces to that forum and find there real customer and test his web site speed uptime etc..
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.