RackShack or NocSter?

Hi,

I saw that RackShack.net and Nocster.net offer both dedicated servers for $99 a month.
    The basic question is: Which to choose? I know RackShack servers have hardly any support, and you need to be technical to set it up (or at least know enough of server administration).
    I heard that NocSter has more support, or at least more than RackShack.
    I want to use the server for hosting, and NocSter offers the option to add WHM/Cpanel for just $19.95. I haven't seen this offer at RackShack.
    I also saw RackShack asks $25 setup and $1 a month per IP. Nocster asks only $0.50 or so per month per IP. I also saw something that NocSter only wants a onetime charge for a upgrade (for excample more memory) and RackShack charges per month.

But I would like to know from customers of both customers which they prefer, and why? Please share all the info and links you have.

Thank you in advance,

Jacco

Nocster has monthly upgrade charges, but you could probably also do a one-time fee if you talk to them. Nocster is really cheap managed servers (they'll install patches, generally good support), and RackShack is unmanaged. If you really don't know much about servers, I'd go with Nocster over RackShack, although Cpanel & nocster servers can be slightly buggy (wrong bandwidth reports, bad stats analyzers).

- Matt

You sure you didn't been Rackshack has the bad bandwidth monitering system? I look through their forums and see so many people complaing about being billed 100's of dollars for extra bandwidth they never used or bandwidth jumping 15gigs a day, etc.

Ya don't go with rackshack. Poor support, even the little bit that they give you.

Bug riddled machines too. If you're not ok with hardware downtime on your server then rackshack is a bad choice. Hardware goes down all the time over there.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Rackshack does have a bad monitoring system, but Nocster's cpanel does NOT keep track of bandwidth (it's been frozen at 4.2GB since the beginning of the month for my site on their virtual server).

- Matt

Since we are talking about RS and bandwidth charts at the same time I guess you might want to take a look at the following thread. I think headsurfer makes some points clear in some of those threads about bandwidth issue's.... hats of to Robert

http://forum.rackshack.net/showthread.php?threadid=9395

Do you have other recommendations than RackShack or NocSter? I know hosts aren't allowed to post ads, but just links should be ok? If I like an other host I will do a search and my post a topic on them.

Jacco
    Wordpress website builder (Build Your Own Money Site) and hosting enthusiast. I test cloud hosters for speed :-). Currently working on HIPAA HQ, Let's Grind Some Coffee and Build Your Own Web Store.

Originally posted by Hostkookster
    Ya don't go with rackshack. Poor support, even the little bit that they give you.

Bug riddled machines too. If you're not ok with hardware downtime on your server then rackshack is a bad choice. Hardware goes down all the time over there.
    Why do i get this feeling you work for rackforce.com or you are from rackforce.com or you were sent from rackforce.com to come here and diss other companies, and advertise for rackforce.com (See very first post: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=68566 )

WINK WINK ??
    i think what happend was you realized how dumb it was on your part to advertise like that, so you tried to play it like you're just an avg joe and you have nothign to do with rackforce

after looking at that, ive gotten the impression that you are from rackforce. you did a bad job advertising there

since that little epsiode

everytime i look at you you're dissing another company.
    and for your information
    i have many rackshack servers, and all of them have been stable. only 1-2 had hardware problems, i got them resolved before i even used the servers

everything has been great for me so far. i bet you haven't even used rackshack before

you know you try so hard to pretend you're a nobody, but i see right through you

0wnij
    Jason

Yes i've hosted with Rackshack as a game server, It was a waste of my time and money, but thats not the issue here.

In regards to that suppossed advertisement, I was trying to reply to this thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=68431

Pardon me for mistakenly putting up my own thread. It was my first post. I did a Google.ca search that is what came up. I don't advertise nothin. I don't work for anyone, I live alone in my little "igloo" in canada. I could just as easily accuse you as a rackshack employee...Lay Off!

From what i've observed it looks like Rackforce.com is a new company that will get eaten alive by all their damn "smoke and mirrors" as one of their employees put it. (look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...e&pagenumber=2 ) I have no experience with them nor do I want any. Companies that don't disclose everything price related on their site in plain view are really trying to suck you in and apologize later. They clearly do that, unlimited bandwidth my ass. (look at above thread)

Piss off clocker, your barking up the wrong tree.

My name is Joe and I AM CANADIAN!!

go figure
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Rackshack has a nicer network than Nocster, but Nocster has better support. So I guess which company to go with depends on what is most important to you.
    Jeremy [email protected]
    Front Drive Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

I have been with Nocster for 7 weeks now and very happy with their service and support. My P4 cPanel server is fast and stable with uptime > 99.7% (alertra.com). No problems tracking of bandwidth for me.

Take a look at this huge thread in the RS forums. It should make your decision a lot easier.

http://forums.rackshack.net/showthre...dwidth+overage

PS: It's not the same one as posted above
    Signature SPAM

Thumbs up rackshack good for me ..

Whit rackshack since a month,

nothing to tell... Fast, 100% uptime to date!

i have need a reboot yesterday then reboot
    will be done 5 min after ticket ...

Great for me at least since nowvery happy whit network & service...!
    Last edited by x007; 08-22-2002 at 04:56 PM.

Originally posted by Blikje
    Do you have other recommendations than RackShack or NocSter? I know hosts aren't allowed to post ads, but just links should be ok? If I like an other host I will do a search and my post a topic on them.

Jacco
    Jacco,
    I have been down the rackshack road in the past and I am getting ready to get rid of my burstnet (non-nocster) server because of the great number of outages and instability with their power and network that I have seen recently.

I have had a server with Jay in the NAC for almost a year now and when I saw his latest offer I had to break down and buy two more of his MEHOST specials that he has at this thread.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=68889

This has got to be the best value for what you get, the MEHOST network is much better connected, more reliable than either Burst's or Rackshack's and the support is fantastic. Yes it may cost a few dollars more (still in your price range) but in the end you do get what you pay for and in this case you actually get a little more then you are paying for

Be careful when shopping around, most of the 300GB+ plans are on cogent networks which has questionable routing and reliability. This deal is 300GB of true multi homed NAC bandwidth which has awesome peering points with all of the major providers.

The MEHOST special is defiantly worth a look. I hope this helps as I have been down the painful road of looking to get out cheap and it has cost valuable customers in my early days You live and learn, good luck!

Did you really need to say that, compltley un-justified comment to make, pretty lame.

Originally posted by clocker1996

Why do i get this feeling you work for rackforce.com or you are from rackforce.com or you were sent from rackforce.com to come here and diss other companies, and advertise for rackforce.com (See very first post: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=68566 )

WINK WINK ??
    i think what happend was you realized how dumb it was on your part to advertise like that, so you tried to play it like you're just an avg joe and you have nothign to do with rackforce

after looking at that, ive gotten the impression that you are from rackforce. you did a bad job advertising there

since that little epsiode

everytime i look at you you're dissing another company.
    and for your information
    i have many rackshack servers, and all of them have been stable. only 1-2 had hardware problems, i got them resolved before i even used the servers

everything has been great for me so far. i bet you haven't even used rackshack before

you know you try so hard to pretend you're a nobody, but i see right through you
    [SIZE=1]Main Rig: Leadtek nForce2 Ultra Delux | [email protected] | 512MB Corsair XMS3200 | GeForce Ti4200 [email protected]/610 | 2*120GB WD SE HD
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B Black | [email protected] | 512MB Samsung PC2700 | ATi Radeon 8500 64MB | 120GB Seagate Barracuda V HD
    Total Gamer Network Network Founder

Here's the deal...I've been with Rackshack for about 7 months now and here's my experience.

1) You will have network issues once every 30 days on average. They may last about half a day to a few hours. By network issues I mean you will experience heavy slow down or not be able to access your site.

2) If your server has a hardware issue, almost always it will be difficult to get it resolved. The reason i say this is that the Rackshack support team can always stick behind the "it's a software issue and we are not responsible for that" guideline. Right now, a server I have with them has been choppy and getting choppier for about 3 days now. I am quite sure it is the NIC card, but still no definite feedback from them.

3) The tech support guys online are okay, but not spectacular. They will help you rush your trouble ticket, but won't really aid in fixing anything.

4) They have a large infrastructure and are quite stagnant. I am moving a server from them to another host specifically because they don't allow you to purchase bundles of extra bandwidth. It doesn't seem reasonable not to offer this to customers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bottom line is that Rackshack is basically a bandwidth provider, with the necessary tools. You can hope the tools don't break down and live through the random network issues. The prices are dirt cheap and they set up your server really quickly.

I would look at Rackshack as a good backup provider, or even a place to store media files. The risk you face in dealing with technical issues beyond your control may result in days of downtime. If this occurs, it is up to you to decide whether it is worth it or not.

Although, I am sure many people have had no problems and have therefore not had to deal with downtime. If you are lucky, then this is for you.

Furton, I really like your website. It would be a good idea to fix this typo on the hosting page though.

Think your site meets the following requirement then e-mail us with your current site URL and will asses it. If you would like to use your own domain we charge a small fee which you can view the details of here, starting from $10 a month
    Signature SPAM

Originally posted by Furton
    Did you really need to say that, compltley un-justified comment to make, pretty lame.

yep i did. what do you want me to think? when i see what I think in my opinion is an advertisement, and then next thing u know he's making other companies look bad

oh well whatever
    he can say whatever he wants

I use nocster and would recommend them. No problems so far besides some short outages.

Nocster has been prompt and professional to the few support requests we've submitted. We've had something with them since they started and are completely satisfied. I highly recommend them.

I have no experience with RackShack.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

RS have shown a good growth in their turnover. They must be good.

RS don't get all that many complaints about downtime - thats more important than being able to figure out the odd glitch here and there ;D

It's not hard to keep a server running - There are always plenty of people around these boards if you did get stuck

That was a cryptic way of saying maybe RS aint so bad after all