SusE / MAC X-Server backup solution.

Hello,

I'm working with a local startup and we are looking into potential backup solutions. We have roughly 9 servers all running some variation of susE linux (some straight susE and some X Server which runs off susE).

We are needing a backup solution that will allow us to securely get data off the servers on a regular interval. We are unable to move the data off site as we are running on a single T1 line with moderate utilization, certainly not enough BW to go off site.

Looking at either a software based solution or hardware (tape etc). If you have any suggestions please advise as it will greatly assist thy research

Thanks!
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Based on the requirements you've described, I would just add another box with plenty of storage as the backup box, and use rsync over SSH via shell scripts called from cron.

Quote Originally Posted by jpipkin View Post
    Based on the requirements you've described, I would just add another box with plenty of storage as the backup box, and use rsync over SSH via shell scripts called from cron.
    How much data total are you dealing with?

Why aren't the servers colocated for BW, redundance and in-net BU? - just a thought...

If you have to keep them in house then your best solution has already been offered. A box full of drives should do the trick nicely...

Good luck,
    Joe
    https://ServersAndHosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Guaranteed Hosting

It's hard to describe what were running but it's an application very bleeding edge type of stuff being developed in house. We need to have "hands on" access to the equipment for development reasons, we are also "mid-stage" of development so a lot of variables change often so were doing OS reloads to test compatibility on a frequent basis.

Just to make an update to our configuration were adding another T1 for load balancing and redundancy.

My initial thought was to obtain a server 1 or 2U preferably and throw in a couple 1TB drives for backup purposes.

I guess my question is, what type of external solution could we plug into that? Does i.e an all in one exist with the drives and a tape backup system in one single rack mountable unit?

Ideally I would love to run something like this.

2U to 4U server basic dual-core CPU (low heat/power).

2x 1TB drives just for backup data.
    2x 750GB drives for network storage so employees can store important data there (i.e development work). Not critical as we already have something implemented for this but would be nice.

Each setup would run raid mirroring for additional redundancy. I assume it's possible to run two independent raid channels with each set for mirroring.

Then on top of that, I would want something external that we can bring off site. We would only need critical data to be backed up off site on say a weekly basis.

Any type of solution exist hardware or software that could achieve something like this?

Data wise our team consists of 11 employees. With one receptionist and an operations manager (HR/facilities/product ordering). The other 9 (myself included) are all IT/Development. Moderate usage in terms of disk utilization per individual x9
    Last edited by viGeek; 04-23-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Do you have a budget?
    https://ServersAndHosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Guaranteed Hosting

Preferably as close to $5,000 as possible.

Obviously our budget is flexible but somewhere in that range is desired.

ACNC Produces this little JetStor Sata 405U ... I think these only run a couple thou.

You could designate one of the machines as the backup master, and have every other machine rsync to it. As the backup master, it saves the incoming rsynced files onto the JetStor via FireWire. At the end of the working day, you unplug the JetStor and take it home with you.