Why is iWeb so cheap? Is it reliable?

Hi... I'm from Argentina... I have a quote from iWeb that is 25% less than other providers (The Planet, GoDaddy, Layered, etc.)... Same server features.

How can that be possible? Does iWeb have the same quality as The Planet?

I would appreciate every comment.

Thanks from Argentina.

First of all iWeb is in Canada as far as I was aware, so the distance might come into factor here, given you are in South America; second of all, different providers have different prices. One of the reasons is the hardware quality, bandwidth quality, service quality and so on.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

So... what you are saying is that iWeb has different prices depending from where you are purchasing the server? I'm getting that quote because I'm from Argentina? I think that's ridiculous.

I probably was not very specific in what I wanted to outline. I wanted to say that the distance between you and iWeb will be higher than you and ThePlanet, for example, which will mean higher ping times and slightly slower page loads on your end.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Ok... I understand now.... thanks for your comment.

The best way for you to research is by seeing if you can find reviews here on web hosting talk or if they are monthly just try them out for yourself and find out.
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

First of all iWeb is in Canada as far as I was aware, so the distance might come into factor here, given you are in South America;
    That might be true ... or it might not.

You can't assume things like that when it comes to Internet Traffic, you need to test and see what routes are used and if the paths are really faster for one provider or another. From the tests I ran from Telpin.Com.Ar, traffic from Argentina enters the US in Miami. It then goes to Atlanta. From Atlanta, the distance to reach Dallas or Montreal is quite similar (1200 miles to reach Montreal vs 800 miles to reach Dallas) the difference is not significative when you are a paquet travelling on a dark fiber !

The response time from telpin.com.ar to either iWeb or The Planet is almost the same. Around 180ms for one or the other.

So in this case I think you shouldn't base your decision on the distance but on other factors. Your response times will probably be very similar for any provider in the US. You can choose from other criterias like customer service, options you get with the server, reputation of the company or price. It depends of what is important for you. As Sagoshawn suggested, I also suggest you search for reviews here on WHT.

As for our prices, we recently dropped our prices when launching our new web site in March. One of the reasons for our price drop is the stronger Canadian Dollar. This with the continuous price drops in computer hardware allowed us to review our entire server lines and pricing.

Regards,
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Hello mate
    even i had same issue when i saw the rates of iweb and also thought same thing that there might be some quality difference between other provider and i web but later in conclude that it is 100% wrong.as far as i know customer service is very good,and above all Martin Leclair is here , he is a great man he can help you out in everything or anything.rest is up to you...do it what your mind and brain says and also read reviews... u`l automatically get your answer

Thanks and Deep Regards
    Rounak
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

Hi Martin,

Average ping from Argentina:

iWeb --> 236 ms
    theplanet --> 190 ms

I think they are both very similar. Not much difference.

iWeb --> 236 ms
    theplanet --> 190 ms
    You must be geeting into the US from another entry point. In this case I need to admit that 46ms is significative. It could be important for things like game server hosting, etc. but it also depends of where your site visitors are coming from.

Regards,
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Quote Originally Posted by atchoooo View Post
    You must be geeting into the US from another entry point. In this case I need to admit that 46ms is significative. It could be important for things like game server hosting, etc. but it also depends of where your site visitors are coming from.

Regards,
    I really no problem in high latency but that might be diferent for dialup users.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_C View Post
    I have a quote from iWeb that is 25% less than other providers (The Planet, GoDaddy, Layered, etc.)... Same server features.
    I've had a server at iWeb for a little over two years now. Near perfect uptime. Support was helpful when I had some problems with my mail server a while back but otherwise I've hardly needed them. It just works.

I also have a server at corenetworks.net (much more recent) and they've been fine so far also, with good prices.

Ok... iWeb have their data centers in Montreal - Canada.

I live in Argentina, and my clients that will access the server are basically from Argentina too.

Should I hire a closer connection?

Ping response from Argentina:

iWeb --> 236 ms
    theplanet --> 190 ms

Thanks for your comments!

Both pings are somewhat similar. When it comes to loading a site, I really doubt you'll notice any difference between the two so IMO, either one will work for you.

Both datacenters are equally as reputable in the community but I can vouch for iweb's services. top notch network and service.

Good luck with your search!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services