Thread: vsftp problem

vsftp problem

I just installed a new centos 5.1 and downloaded and compiled vsftp manually

I start creating user
    # adduser -m admin1
    # passwd admin1
    pasword: 123456

# ftp localhost
    Connected to host.
    220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
    530 Please login with USER and PASS.
    530 Please login with USER and PASS.
    KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
    Name (localhost:root): admin1
    331 Please specify the password.
    Password: 123456
    500 OOPS: cannot change directory:/home/admin1
    Login failed.
    ftp>quit

# grep admin1 /etc/passwd
    admin1:x:500:500::/home/admin1:/bin/bash

I read some other forum it might be SELinux so I have also changed this inside /etc/selinux/config
    Code:
    SELINUX=disabled
    SELINUXTYPE=targeted
    SETLOCALDEFS=0
    I still cannot login. Any clue?

What is the ownership and permissions of,

/home

/home/admin1

Also check the vsftpd log located in /var/log or as per the vsftpd.conf configuration.

Disable selinux using command below and have a check.

setenforce 0
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

And once again, someone submitting a post just to get their signatuure seen. Come on now, the user's already said they disabled selinux.

hbhb:
    You shouldn't have to disable selinux for vsftpd to work, they're put out by redhat together, so they should theoretically work with each other.

Read through the logs in /var/log/messages, something will trigger there, almost guaranteed. Try to login, then go through the last few lines in the log.

IF you've disabled selinux, but haven't rebooted, then reboot your server. You may just find this works.

All in all, you really need to have an admin company to do this stuff for you. WHT isn't your personal 'learning base'. If you're not comfortable with linux, or don't know it as well as you should, that's fine, but you really need to stop trying to administrate a server with minimal knowledge of how to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    And once again, someone submitting a post just to get their signatuure seen. Come on now, the user's already said they disabled selinux.

[...]

IF you've disabled selinux, but haven't rebooted, then reboot your server. You may just find this works.
    Which "setenforce 0", in effect, would have done for him without requiring a reboot.

hbhb: I'm curious though why you chose to install vsftp manually when it's available as an RPM? "yum install vsftpd" would install it for you unless you needed some custom compile options or a different version than what's in the repository.
    No monkey business.

If he had just changed the config file it wont help my friend. So I supplied the command. I came on.

Quote Originally Posted by david510 View Post
    If he had just changed the config file it wont help my friend. So I supplied the command. I came on.
    No,
    Once again, you submitted useless fluff to get your signature seen. Yes, he may have not rebooted the server (or completely disabled selinux), but you made an assumption that was, or was not correct.

The point is, you made a post to get your signature seen, a fluff post, as you are typical of doing, rather than supplying helpful information.

Pot. Kettle. Black?

No,
    Once again, you submitted useless fluff to get your signature seen. Yes, he may have not rebooted the server (or completely disabled selinux), but you made an assumption that was, or was not correct.
    Again mods can decide....