bad reviews despite high quality service...

I do not receive a lot of reviews...but when I do get one it is usually a bad one. This is kind of surprising because the comments I get from my customers are usually good. People are telling me that they are really satisfied etc. I get the impression that people only write reviews when they are pissed. As long as they are satisfied they do not feel the desire to write a review. However, as soon as they are pissed off they often invest several hours of their time to bash a company. I.e. I had a customer giving me a negative review on 5 different pages. The reason why she was angry was because she wanted to transfer her domain which was not possible because the domain was in the 60 day registration lock period (I offered to point the domain to another host's nameservers...she did not accept that).
    Another reason for negative reviews are Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail. These companies simply move my emails to their "Junk mail folder". Therefore my customers do not receive a reply to their support requests when they have a Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail address. Now you may think my server has been sending spam or at least some people on my servers have used forwarders...Nope ! I am using a unique IP to send emails using my business address. The reason why they block me is because if they receive spam from one IP they'll block an entire IP range. I.e. if they receive spam from 1.2.3.4 then they will block 1.2.3.* which means that if any other server in the DC where I am hosting is sending spam I will get blocked, too. I have written this twice on my page: If you send us an email - look at your spam folder. But some people are simply too retarded to do it.
    The third reason for bad reviews are competitors who think my prices are too low or something but that's not true. None of my plans include more than 4000 MB of space and they are between 3 and 10 Dollars.

I have been considering to write fake reviews. I do not consider it as morally wrong since I am only lying to compensate the lie from someone else.
    Last edited by glace; 04-22-2008 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glace View Post
    I get the impression that people only write reviews when they are pissed.
    Bingo

People are more inclined to write a negative review. If they do not feel satisfied by the web host, some of them decide the only way to even it out is to damage the reputation of the host. Not realising that the host owners are depending on their business to pay their bills, buy food, support families etc.

But unfortunately that is just a fact of life we all have to deal with.

However, as soon as they are pissed off they often invest several hours of their time to bash a company. I.e. I had a customer giving me a negative review on 5 different pages. The reason why she was angry was because she wanted to transfer her domain which was not possible because the domain was in the 60 day registration lock period (I offered to point the domain to another host's nameservers...she did not accept that).
    Not surprising. You would be surprised the lengths people go to in order to damage another company. We had one customer several years ago that not only copied and pasted 4 page long negative review on almost 20 different websites, but also decided to create a new website dedicated for this sole purpose. Quite obviously he came to his senses and took the site down.

If only people wait till they have calmed down, understood the situation and cooled off a bit before taking any kind of action.

Another reason for negative reviews are Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail. These companies simply move my emails to their "Junk mail folder". Therefore my customers do not receive a reply to their support requests when they have a Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail address. Now you may think my server has been sending spam or at least some people on my servers have used forwarders...Nope ! I am using a unique IP to send emails using my business address. The reason why they block me is because if they receive spam from one IP they'll block an entire IP range. I.e. if they receive spam from 1.2.3.4 then they will block 1.2.3.* which means that if any other server in the DC where I am hosting is sending spam I will get blocked, too.
    Actually, if the IP is blocked, it is usually denied at server level before it reaches the inbox. It is more than likely you just need to set up your SPF records etc.

I have written this twice on my page: If you send us an email - look at your spam folder. But some people are simply too retarded to do it.
    Not nice to describe some visitors that miss some details as "retarded". It could be a genuine mistake.

The third reason for bad reviews are competitors who think my prices are too low or something but that's not true. None of my plans include more than 4000 MB of space and they are between 3 and 10 Dollars.
    That is a pretty serious accusation. Do you have any proof to back this up? Quite often it is easy to blame someone else for the problems you cannot see, maybe it is important to bring in someone to review the way you handle customers. Their perspective on how things are handled could be quite different from yours.

I have been considering to write fake reviews. I do not consider it as morally wrong since I am only lying to compensate the lie from someone else.
    Not only is that morally wrong and misleading, but it effectively means you will be basing your business on a not so truthful foundation. Just like all of us receive negative reviews, we deal with it and get on with business as usual. Two wrongs won't make a right
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Generally as a rule I tend to go by the thought of "You can't please everyone" if you did you would have a very stresfull life

Problem is people just post crap without getting the *true* facts.

*** about / I have been considering to write fake reviews. ***

I recently had a client complaint concerning a scheduling rotation. Biweekly (every two weeks) website updates, with likely schedule exceptions (likely 3 week intervals) in Spring 2008 due to Spring busy time --- all noted in email writing.
    Well, the client wasn't interested in hearing about "noted likely schedule three week exceptions" for Spring 2008. I pointed/highlighted/copy-pasted his own Spring 2008 email agreement back to him... I think all that did was just piss him off even more since I tossed his own words back at him. Anyway, long story short, I decided to suggest to him he find another designer who can more closely adhere to that bi-weekly update rollout. Sure, he complained. So I did what I thought was right... basically "gently" kick him to the curb, kindly and strongly suggesting a new designer. Finally, got his complaining *** away from me, and now I can better focus on my true bread-and-butter clients. Note - I find the discount / friendship / referral clients are the biggest hassle!! I'd rather deal with just straight business referral clientle. Forget about friend-of-a-friends-brother discount referral circle. Sure, a referral is an easy start for a paid project (no adverising or selling on my part) but its been more headaches for me. It gets too personal. Thats my recent experience with a complaining client
    Best,
    Brad