Installing a control panel on already working server

Hi - we have a problem.

We have a dedicated server with domains already setup and everything.

The guy who used to run it for us has left and it appears it was all done via SSH and command line - we don't have that level of skills.

Is there a way which we can:

A) install a Control Panel and administer ourselves
    B) Migrate all the domains to a new dedicated server with an existing control panel.

Thanks

Whether you want to go with option A) or B) you will need an expert who can do it for you to ensure that nothing is damaged in the process and everything goes smoothly.
    If your current hosting company can get you a cPanel license for a good price it would mean a lot, as they can cost around 45$ per month if you buy them as external licenses.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Thanks... where do I go for that help?

look for server management company, they should be able to help you
    HalfDedi.com Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

Thanks for the help

If you currently have a killer deal on your server, then it might justify the cost/downtime of installing a control panel. Otherwise, your best bet may be to transfer to a box with a panel preinstalled. This could be done without downtime, and the host should transfer over the sites for free.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Whether you want to go with option A) or B) you will need an expert who can do it for you to ensure that nothing is damaged in the process and everything goes smoothly.
    If your current hosting company can get you a cPanel license for a good price it would mean a lot, as they can cost around 45$ per month if you buy them as external licenses.
    Some control panels, such as cPanel, require a clean system install, so this may not be an option.

If you are satisfied with the provider I would suggest possibly upgrading hardware if the server is at least a few months old. You might be able to get newer hardware for about the same price and you could order a control panel, have it installed on the new server, and then transfer all data over to the new server. If done properly you could do all of that without any downtime.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

Or maybe ask ur host to help u out.

Quote Originally Posted by RackZen View Post
    Some control panels, such as cPanel, require a clean system install, so this may not be an option.
    Yes, this is true for DirectAdmin, too.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Well the host wasn't helpful at all

We're looking for as fast as possible dedicated server with around 80-100mgs of disc space and as much bandwidth as possible, a control panel and a host who is willing to help us move over... I know, I don't ask for much

Oh - and it must allow adult content

Any ideas/recommendations?

hmm, have a look at corenetworks.net

i have just taken a server with them in the last week, i know its early days, but they are very helpfull, am currently running a P4 3GHz HT, 2gb Ram, 320GB Hdd, and 3Mps pipe (or 1TB Trans, either is free) cost a grand total of $79 with free setup, of course the CP will be extra, but i know they will be happy to help, support is via email ticket or phone
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

I use webmin(A Web Control Panel) on a linux Ubuntu server 7.10 installation at corenetworks.net

But personally think you should start learning the linux command line stuff for your admin. You won't be sorry.

I do most of my admin stuff via the command line stuff and use the webmin web interface as a backup and to get a great overview of your system configuration.

Before I actually started using a dedicated server remotely I installed it on a local computer to get use to administer it before I took the plunge to remotely administer it.
    Last edited by 111111z; 05-19-2008 at 05:34 PM.
    IPNeighbor.com - See who you share Your Web server with.
    BuildAServer.info Build a 1U server