EMC SAN and Supermicro servers

I am interested to find out if anyone out there has hooked up an EMC SAN to a supermicro box running Redhat Linux. Fiber Channel implementation would be great but would love to hear opinions about iSCSI as well. I was told that EMC doesn't support Supermicro boxes and while that may be true I would like to know if anyone there has tried it.

Thanks

We have implemented several EMC Clariion configurations with RHEL 3/4/5 and Qlogic HBA's. I don't see why EMC would not support supermicro hardware as it's the HBA the SAN is communicating with not the system board. However, there are certain versions of the RHEL kernel that are not supported by EMC (particularly the newer kernels) as the PowerPath suite needs to be re-certified by EMC with each new kernel revision.
    ServiceFlex - High Performance Web Solutions

EMC SAN's should come with a credit card swipe on the unit, they are just out of their minds. They might be the right choice for the super large mega corporation who's IT managment likes to play golf alot, but there is so much value out thier in other platforms these days, I really can't see why anyone would buy them.

We are currently on 3Par's Inserv 400 platform and love it after being a EMC Sym customer for 5 years. 3Par would have no issue with hooking up a desktop PC provided you use a HBA thats supported.

Quote Originally Posted by serviceflex View Post
    We have implemented several EMC Clariion configurations with RHEL 3/4/5 and Qlogic HBA's. I don't see why EMC would not support supermicro hardware as it's the HBA the SAN is communicating with not the system board. However, there are certain versions of the RHEL kernel that are not supported by EMC (particularly the newer kernels) as the PowerPath suite needs to be re-certified by EMC with each new kernel revision.
    EMC wouldn't certify our Clariion -> HP DL385s until they bought identical units and made sure they worked fine. It seemed like a ridiculous waste of money to me and delayed our installation by almost a month, but it's worth it in the long run just so they don't come back with "well, it's *your* hardware's fault".
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions

Quote Originally Posted by TMCBIZ View Post
    EMC SAN's should come with a credit card swipe on the unit, they are just out of their minds.
    +1

iSCSI + multipath + ZFS = da Shizer.

To the OP, come, let me show you the light young-one...(poor NetApp!)

http://www.nexenta.com/corp/index.ph...id=4&Itemid=67

Openfiler also kicks various forms of a$$.

Regards,

There's no reason why it won't work, it's the HBA's not the actual system.

We're using Emulex ones with our CX300 and it works great - using HP DL380's. I don't think that's a 'supported' setup either but it works just fine.

Dan