HostNine - Hijacked a Client Account; Won't Give Files Back

I have been with HostNine for almost a year now and have had reasonably decent service, until now.

They recently suspended one of my client's accounts. Understandable, the account had some very old PHP files on them. Let me preface this by stating that I am very sympathetic to hosts who have to deal with problem clients who have sites that slow down shared servers for everyone else on them.

I have tried my hardest to work with HostNine to get these files back and ensure that this account is not a problem on their server. I have never once asked for them to restore the account "as is", all have I have asked is that they backup the files and the database for me (I would do it myself, but they locked me out of the account), so that I can investigate the problem and do testing to ensure that it doesn't cause them problems again.

All in all, getting anyone to co-operate has been unsuccessful. Getting a hold of them has been a hassle (from the time I e-mailed them about the issue to the time I received my first response was a span of over 6 hours). Getting them to co-operate has been impossible. Their "Support Manager", Alex, in broken English has told me next to nothing, aside to accuse me of trying to "get around this" and that I would need to move the account to one of their dedicated plans. I have asked that the account simply be backed up, but have not received any response so far, as time ticks away and the client whose account this was becomes more and more frustrated as their files are effectively being "held hostage".

My last complaint is that they never notified myself, nor the client that they had suspended the account.

Has anyone else had problems with trying to get their files back after a host has locked you out of your account? What are my options? Does the hosting company technically "own" the files, simply because they are being hosted on their server?

Help!

Brandon
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

What is the ticket number related to us telling you we will not provide you with a backup? We happily provide clients with a backup of their website in event of a suspension for crashing a server.
      0 Not allowed!

After calling Alex I was able to locate this and he clearly offered to provide you with a backup

Alex

Posted on: 21 Apr 2008 04:44 PM
    This account time and time again is crashing our server. Let us know if you need a backup because we can not re active this.

Regards,
    Alex Jankuv
    Support Manager

I will update the ticket with the url to the backup file as we never received your reply requesting it.
      0 Not allowed!

Issue resolved. HOSTNINE RULES!!!!!!!!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostnine View Post
    After calling Alex I was able to locate this and he clearly offered to provide you with a backup

Alex

Posted on: 21 Apr 2008 04:44 PM
    This account time and time again is crashing our server. Let us know if you need a backup because we can not re active this.

Regards,
    Alex Jankuv
    Support Manager

I will update the ticket with the url to the backup file as we never received your reply requesting it.
    Good to see a response from the team
      0 Not allowed!

Glad to see that things got worked out!
      0 Not allowed!

Seems to have been resolved quick enough... Good work. :-)
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers
      0 Not allowed!

Well, this is truly sad, but it seems that I only get results with HostNine when I come here. As soon as they saw this post, I suddenly started getting replies right away. And then I guess that once they felt that they have fanned the flames here I suddenly feel like I'm ignored again. They agreed to finally provide me with a backup of an account, which I am grateful for.

However, now I am stuck with an account that they won't unsuspend. They claim that the site needs to be on a dedicated server because it has "repeatedly" crashed their servers. However, they also admit in the ticket that I have open with them that they never alerted me that there was a problem with the account, because their processes for doing so are faulty. So how can I be blamed for the account repeatedly causing problems if they never alerted me of such..?

My solution to this problem has been for them to send me the backup (which they have), and then to clear out the account of all files and start fresh, which apparently is a big problem. Traffic has never been an issue for this account because the site isn't overly popular, it apparently just has some rogue files that are causing problems. So as long as I offer not to upload those rogue files again, what more could they ask for?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon272 View Post
    Well, this is truly sad, but it seems that I only get results with HostNine when I come here. As soon as they saw this post, I suddenly started getting replies right away. And then I guess that once they felt that they have fanned the flames here I suddenly feel like I'm ignored again. They agreed to finally provide me with a backup of an account, which I am grateful for.

However, now I am stuck with an account that they won't unsuspend. They claim that the site needs to be on a dedicated server because it has "repeatedly" crashed their servers. However, they also admit in the ticket that I have open with them that they never alerted me that there was a problem with the account, because their processes for doing so are faulty. So how can I be blamed for the account repeatedly causing problems if they never alerted me of such..?

My solution to this problem has been for them to send me the backup (which they have), and then to clear out the account of all files and start fresh, which apparently is a big problem. Traffic has never been an issue for this account because the site isn't overly popular, it apparently just has some rogue files that are causing problems. So as long as I offer not to upload those rogue files again, what more could they ask for?
    Quite honestly, if you have a backup of all your files, I'd recommend moving to another host. I understand that you've been with them for almost a year now, but service can quickly deteriorate regardless of how nice it used to be (not saying anything specifically about HostNine) and based on recent events, you don't seem very satisfied with how HostNine is handling the situation and it'll probably be better in the long run if you switch providers.
      0 Not allowed!

You're right, I'm certainly unsure of my future with HostNine, however, the client who owns the site in question is extremely displeased with how long the site has been down and I would in the very least want to get up a static HTML page stating what the problem is while we prepare to move the account to a different hosting company.

I wouldn't think that is very much to ask. I don't see how a static HTML page can crash the server.
      0 Not allowed!

You're right, I'm certainly unsure of my future with HostNine, however, the client who owns the site in question is extremely displeased with how long the site has been down and I would in the very least want to get up a static HTML page stating what the problem is while we prepare to move the account to a different hosting company.

I wouldn't think that is very much to ask. I don't see how a static HTML page can crash the server.
    It's not very much to ask at all and if you've already taken measures to make sure the files will not cause any more trouble on their servers, I would think it's the least HostNine could do. Either way, you're not in too shabby of a position; you do have a backup of your files/databases, which many people in this situation unfortunately often do not have.
      0 Not allowed!

Seems to me that your client's site was causing them severe server issues, so they killed it, and rightfully so. They've given you the backup, so pass that onto your client where they can get it hosted somewhere else.

What more do you want here? Your host is not responsible for troubleshooting bad code in your client's sites, if that's causing the server severe issues. In the words of Spoc, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - and this is so true in the hosting world too.
      0 Not allowed!

I think one key point of mine here is that if had HostNine contacted me originally to let me know that the account was causing problems, I could have easily rectified the situation and we wouldn't be where we are today. I'm a very co-operative individual and had I ever been alerted that there was a problem with the account I would have jumped on it quickly because I can appreciate how annoying it is to have a single account on a shared server causing problems for everyone else.

But, by their own admission they did not take the necessary steps to alert me. So I don't see how this whole thing is all my fault.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    Your host is not responsible for troubleshooting bad code in your client's sites, if that's causing the server severe issues.
    I didn't claim that they were responsible. I know that ultimately I'm responsible for the code on the accounts, but they never let me know that there was a problem. I would have happily fixed any problematic code, had I been alerted.
      0 Not allowed!

Well you have a full cpanel backup of that site, so there's nothing stopping you from fixing the issue that was causing problems for their server. Yes, they should have emailed you and let you know that a site in your account was suspended for abusing the server. Sometimes that email gets forgotten, when an admin suspends a site for abusing the server. It happens. Just thought a little host's perspective would suffice.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    Well you have a full cpanel backup of that site, so there's nothing stopping you from fixing the issue that was causing problems for their server. Yes, they should have emailed you and let you know that a site in your account was suspended for abusing the server. Sometimes that email gets forgotten, when an admin suspends a site for abusing the server. It happens.
    My request was that they clear all files out of the account and then unsuspend it to ensure that there are no files that can cause any additional problems. So I don't know what more they can ask for in terms of my guarantee that this won't continue to be an issue.

I understand that sometimes alerts and emails can fall through the cracks. But if I don't get the emails and they admit that their system failed to alert me, how can I be blamed for failing to act when I was never alerted....?!
      0 Not allowed!

Consider this a dead issue. I've moved the account to a different hosting company.
      0 Not allowed!

. . . I understand that sometimes alerts and emails can fall through the cracks. But if I don't get the emails and they admit that their system failed to alert me, how can I be blamed for failing to act when I was never alerted....?!
    I don't think anyone's blaming you. It's just one of those instances where an admin puts the needs of the many ahead of the needs of the individual. It happens and represents the harsh nature of shared hosting. Glad you got it sorted though. All's well that ends well, so the saying goes.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

brandon, by moving, did you move to another reseller that allowed the other account that was suspended go as is? I'm just curious.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News
      0 Not allowed!

The root cause of why the account was causing problems on the server at HostNine was that there were some bad scripts on the account. After receiving the backup from HostNine I simply removed the bad scripts, and therefore solved the problem.

The account was then transferred (minus the bad scripts) to the new hosting company and is running like a well-oiled machine on their server.

The problem was simple, the solution was simple.
      0 Not allowed!

I too suffered from a similar experience today with hostnine and Alex Jankuv. They shut down my account with no warning and no access to move the files or back up. Alex did indicate that backup would be available but my access has been completely denied. I just want to get in, fix the problem or move the data. Not cool at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dmishesq View Post
    I too suffered from a similar experience today with hostnine and Alex Jankuv. They shut down my account with no warning and no access to move the files or back up. Alex did indicate that backup would be available but my access has been completely denied. I just want to get in, fix the problem or move the data. Not cool at all.
    What is the ticket ID related to this? If a site is crashing a server we have no choice but to disable it. We always provide a backup of the content.

**UPDATE**

I was able to find your ticket. According to Alex the wordpress install on your account was causing the load issue. We received your first response 20 minutes ago. Please give us a chance to follow up with your backup.
    Last edited by Ben_G; 04-30-2009 at 03:09 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

The root cause of why the account was causing problems on the server at HostNine was that there were some bad scripts on the account. After receiving the backup from HostNine I simply removed the bad scripts, and therefore solved the problem.

The account was then transferred (minus the bad scripts) to the new hosting company and is running like a well-oiled machine on their server.

The problem was simple, the solution was simple.
    Glad to know you are now happy with new host and your tuned scripts free from previous bugs/problems.. Do keep us posted about your experience with your new host sometime in future..!
      0 Not allowed!

The title of this thread is very misleading. Glad to see your issues were resolved! Always keep regular backups of your account with any web host regardless of how popular they might be and also make sure that you keep your scripts updated and optimized for best performance.

For wordpress, it is best to use a caching plug-in that would cut down the resource usage a lot so you don't face the same issue again with another host.
      0 Not allowed!

^ yeah that. Hijacked sort of implied that HostNine took over the account and made the account into their own direct customer.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!
      0 Not allowed!

They didnt really hijack the account but all you can do really is change hosts
      0 Not allowed!

Consider this a dead issue. I've moved the account to a different hosting company.
    Out of curiosity what host did you move the account to? If you already mentioned it I'm sorry for not catching it. I'm just curious

I do agree that the title is somewhat misleading as they never hijacked anything - they more of "held it hostage" but it looks like a communication issue more than anything.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Update on hostnine hijacking. Well....hostnine did provide a backup of sorts within a couple hours. But....they left out the MySQL database that had over 5400 pages of content. We now have to figure out how and if we can recreate it. My bad for not having daily backups. I accept that but for a "host" to unilaterally turn you off with no explanation and refuse access is just bad business. I understand that TOS probably does protect them every which way but that doesn't mean that it's right.

Alex Jankuv has been unprofessional, curt, rude and robotic in his replies to support tickets. He (and HostNine) don't care if they have my business or anyone else's. I guess for $7 a month, no one customer makes much difference one way or the other. I look at this entire episode as a blessing because it caused me to look at where my data is hosted as a mission critical issue and caused me to re-examine my backup practices. My main money making site wasn't with HostNine (thank God). I have since moved it to a dedicated server at a reputable host (unlike HostNine & Alex Jankuv) so I consider myself blessed. My main reason for posting is to warn others of this company's business practices. If you're hosting with HostNine look for an email about abuse from Alex Jankuv coming your way soon. I don't believe anyone is exempt.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dmishesq View Post
    Update on hostnine hijacking. Well....hostnine did provide a backup of sorts within a couple hours. But....they left out the MySQL database that had over 5400 pages of content. We now have to figure out how and if we can recreate it. My bad for not having daily backups. I accept that but for a "host" to unilaterally turn you off with no explanation and refuse access is just bad business. I understand that TOS probably does protect them every which way but that doesn't mean that it's right.

Alex Jankuv has been unprofessional, curt, rude and robotic in his replies to support tickets. He (and HostNine) don't care if they have my business or anyone else's. I guess for $7 a month, no one customer makes much difference one way or the other. I look at this entire episode as a blessing because it caused me to look at where my data is hosted as a mission critical issue and caused me to re-examine my backup practices. My main money making site wasn't with HostNine (thank God). I have since moved it to a dedicated server at a reputable host (unlike HostNine & Alex Jankuv) so I consider myself blessed. My main reason for posting is to warn others of this company's business practices. If you're hosting with HostNine look for an email about abuse from Alex Jankuv coming your way soon. I don't believe anyone is exempt.
    Okay let me say that the term hijack does not need to be used here. If you cause a server to crash and we're forced to suspend it we simply suspend it using cPanel's suspend function. Second, we do not terminate anything. This has nothing to do with daily backups as when we create a "backup" which should be called a "copy" of your account we simply run /scripts/pkgacct in shell and create a full copy of exactly as it is on our server. If there is an issue with the backup file you can contact us and if you're not happy with an employee you can contact a Manager as stated on the forums. Obviously you have an issue with one individual here not an entire company.

**EDIT**

I have reviewed your ticket and I do not see how Alex has been rude. He is trying to explain that we provided you a full backup which I personally created and provided to you. We would never alter a website to make it harder on you. Your site was simply causing our server to overload end of story. We provided a backup and you began to get frustrated and upset with our staff. Telling us we don't give a sh** and so on. At HostNine we care about each and every customer we host so that statement is completely out of line and uncalled for.

If you want another copy of the data I can certainly do that but posting on wht/twitter is not going to solve your issue.

Contacting a manager will.
    Last edited by Ben_G; 05-06-2009 at 06:32 PM.
      0 Not allowed!