* LayeredTech Experience

Hi;

Because they offer AppLogic we chose a company called LayeredTech.com a.k.a layeredtechnologies.com;

I have not had much issues with the access related issues and support was fairly quick;

But, i have decided not to use them as a DataCenter because

- One they they stopped our server by not giving any advance notification by telling us that there were a spammer and they do not allow any account with Spammer

- Earlier their warning were only for 8 hours . So if you happen to sleep when they send notifications you wake up a disabled server; They refused to improve this and they rejected to accept he fact that Web Hosting accounts can have many reasons that can be abused for spam.

- We have woken up to $1800 charge one day and we wanted to dispute it. They have given us RTG charts which does not explain anything about the detailed usage.

We have asked them to listen to our reports from WHM that shows only 200 GB usage rather than 15000 GB they charged us for. They were pretty quick to comment that WHM calculations are not reliable.

- On another note we paid for a year for Cpanel licenses. We had to cancel 2 Cpanel licenses and asked for a refund. They said, they could not refund the payment for Cpanel license; well they charged for a year. At least a credit? No. They offered to enable it if we need;

- Applogic? Another utopia. It does not work for cpanel purposes.

Whenever you have problems, High Availability feature never works. The other server never picks up the functionality.

When you ask why, they say you put so many accounts on one server.

Well, you want us to put 250 account on a server prices for $700 USD per month? That does not make any sense;

I have used in the past so many Data Centers

- Bustnet
    - Iweb
    - NAC
    - Netelligent
    - Dedicatednow

Layered is the least flexible one. They do not give any value to your thoughts and rights;

I have started using netelligent.ca and they are great guys. I will be canceling all my accounts with Layered as soon as my account term paid will expire.

Just wanted to share my experience

Bulent Turkoglu

http://www.sibername.com
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Quote Originally Posted by mbulent View Post
    Hi;

Because they offer AppLogic we chose a company called LayeredTech.com a.k.a layeredtechnologies.com;

I have not had much issues with the access related issues and support was fairly quick;

But, i have decided not to use them as a DataCenter because

- One they they stopped our server by not giving any advance notification by telling us that there were a spammer and they do not allow any account with Spammer

- Earlier their warning were only for 8 hours . So if you happen to sleep when they send notifications you wake up a disabled server; They refused to improve this and they rejected to accept he fact that Web Hosting accounts can have many reasons that can be abused for spam.

- We have woken up to $1800 charge one day and we wanted to dispute it. They have given us RTG charts which does not explain anything about the detailed usage.

We have asked them to listen to our reports from WHM that shows only 200 GB usage rather than 15000 GB they charged us for. They were pretty quick to comment that WHM calculations are not reliable.

- On another note we paid for a year for Cpanel licenses. We had to cancel 2 Cpanel licenses and asked for a refund. They said, they could not refund the payment for Cpanel license; well they charged for a year. At least a credit? No. They offered to enable it if we need;

- Applogic? Another utopia. It does not work for cpanel purposes.

Whenever you have problems, High Availability feature never works. The other server never picks up the functionality.

When you ask why, they say you put so many accounts on one server.

Well, you want us to put 250 account on a server prices for $700 USD per month? That does not make any sense;

- Bustnet
    - Iweb
    - NAC
    - Netelligent
    - Dedicatednow

Layered is the least flexible one. They do not give any value to your thoughts and rights;

I have started using netelligent.ca and they are great guys. I will be canceling all my accounts with Layered as soon as my account term paid will expire.

Bulent Turkoglu

Hello

I have had a server with LayeredTech before a year, Same experience with me also.

Their support is pretty quick .

But their action against abuse is very hard. I got some warning mails from them and they told me to remove that spamming account within 8hrs.

I did it 2 times I think.
    Later they gave us another mail, with 3 hrs.
    And later they disabled the server.
    I cant tell more but lost so many clients because of this downtime.

WHM bandwidth usage is not accurate. It will count only certain services like http, pop, ftp etc

So, the bandwidth displayed on Encompass is the correct one.

Plus, their servers are cheap, and old .

I got my hard disk corrupted thrice. lot of downtime , and thats why I bought another server from another company.

They are taking $50 for OS - reinstallation. They took it from me , but they didnt took it from one of my friend's account when he requested reload because of some hacking attempt.

I will not recommend layeredtech to anyone.
    SunShell™ Hosting
    Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller,VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2006

The bandwidth usage on WHM is never a way to accurately verify how much bandwidth is used, however that is not their fault. Your failure to properly monitor your services and keep a spam-free environment is your fault, and as per their Terms of Service, they have the right to cut off your service after a few fair warnings.
    It's a shame that you had a bad experience, but I guess you can always hit up the offers section and find a new provider.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Ya, WHM bandwidth isnt accurate. Also, if we have 1000s of domain we can not monitor all domains. And we cant predict that one user will spam or not.
    But 8hrs warning is not enough. If the server is managing by one person, then 8 hrs isnt enough.Human body needs 8 hrs sleep.

It will be better if they allow minimum 24hrs .
    Also, if the situation is critical ,they can login to the server by resetting the root password or some other method, and can disable that account.
    SunShell™ Hosting
    Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller,VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2006

Different providers offer different periods in which you are required to remedy the situation. It is usually a small time frame to prevent more spam for going out. You should have read their acceptable use policy and terms of use and see if it was acceptable for you before signing up with them.
    It is not their job to login to your server and resolve it for you, as they offer an unmanaged service. Of course, the customer is always the poor soul getting screwed, right?
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

If you've had previous warnings then they can disconnect you for not having addressed the issue. This is spelled out in their TOS.

- Earlier their warning were only for 8 hours . So if you happen to sleep when they send notifications you wake up a disabled server;
    Managing servers is a 24/7 job, so if you don't have any employees to monitor things while you sleep, you should at least be using a server management company that is empowered to act on your behalf when you are not available.

There is a lot of bandwidth that WHM doesn't "see" (rsync for example) and so LT provides you with Encompass to monitor your bandwidth. You also have the option to receive email alerts when you've used more than a given percentage of your monthly bandwidth.

It seems that a lot of the misunderstandings could have been avoided by reading their TOS, doing proper server maintenance, 24/7 monitoring, WHM hardening, and better educating yourself about server management.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

All DC have mentioned disconnect over abuse. They are the first one that did not bother to warn us;

Layered has no reason to do that. Because a mid size hosting company is their small customer. They do serve large Telecom Companies.

My warning was towards similar size companies like us. When you choose know their approach to smaller companies. So don't get surprised once you are hit.

I did not say they were wrong to charge. I just asked for details. I said they can not provide us clearer calculations. Nor they really care.

I have the right to ask for details and for me Encompass or WHM all not reliable. Encompass does not provide break down of the usage and why I have to believe the graphs in simple format? Just because it is called Encompass ?

Just an additional note, we do have 24x7 technicians and it does not help when your server is disconnected without notice.
    MBT

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Hi;

- Bustnet
    - Iweb
    - NAC
    - Netelligent
    - Dedicatednow

Bulent Turkoglu

Cold you share your Nac and Bursnet experience?

When I was using Theplanet they gave me 1Hour warnning (On a Sunday) to disable a paypal clone (very long url and sub-dirs) that was done true a php hack on a client site (I must admit it was a little luck for me to respond on that just in time).

All DC have mentioned disconnect over abuse. They are the first one that did not bother to warn us;
    You mentioned an 8-hour notice.

Encompass does not provide break down of the usage and why I have to believe the graphs in simple format?
    Encompass provides a one-line summary of your usage as measured at the switch, plus the detailed graphs which you can measure traffic in either direction down to the minute. Anything beyond that is your own responsibility on any unmanaged server.

Just an additional note, we do have 24x7 technicians and it does not help when your server is disconnected without notice.
    You complained that 8-hours was not enough time because of sleep schedules.
    Last edited by uberhostNET; 04-22-2008 at 07:01 PM.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

Hi;

NAC is one of the best when it comes to warnings and handling against spam and phishing related issues. I have never had any problem with them, 5 + years. Highly recommended.

Burstnet, they were before 5 years and i have no fresh comments

8 hour is their maximum. In one occasion 2 weeks ago, we have simply received the following subject:

On 10 Apr 14:19)(Off 10 Apr)(TGL App Disabled) Policy Enforcement CID13040

and in the body, they mentioned they disabled our access tothe interface where we can enable the application, in here a WHM server.

We were already aware of this spam sent by using old installation of phpNUKE. We had already suspended the account and was negotiating with the client for a need for upgrade. He has agreed and we were on our way to upgrade for him.

In the mean time, we were shut down and somehow our team was able to restart the application without their help.

We have signed up for a new server at netelligent.ca and moved the accounts there right away.

When you try to talk to them, they show no merci. They behave you like the real spammer. You feel really valueless and helpless.

The other options were all maximum 8 hours. Thee were not time given for this particular case.

8 hour is still not much if the communication is via email. A couple of occassions their email was trapped by our spam filter. I have realized it when i get my Quarantine report.

If they were calling you, 8 hours would be meaningful.

100% of the problems can be solved by disabling an account.

Shutting down a server rather than an account is an ignorance and abuse of power.

In my opionion, these kind of strict characteristic companies will never be the top choice because they do not try to earn the sympathy of their clients;

uberhostNET:

Unless you are not a Linux web hosting provider, you will agree that open source will always be a reason of intrusions and spam and phishing. If you have a solution to this that we are not aware of, like mode security etc, we would be happy to learn ;
    MBT